Stay in Muerren or Lauterbrunnen ?

Old April 1st, 2007, 07:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Henry

Default Stay in Muerren or Lauterbrunnen ?

I want to visit Staubbach Falls, Trummelbach Falls, and Schilthorn
during my stay in Switzerland. Should I stay in Muerren or
Lauterbrunnen? Or is there a better base?

Thanks in advance

Old April 1st, 2007, 10:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
RAK

"Henry" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to visit Staubbach Falls, Trummelbach Falls, and Schilthorn
during my stay in Switzerland. Should I stay in Muerren or
Lauterbrunnen? Or is there a better base?

Thanks in advance

I would go for Muerren. Lauterbrunnen is deep in the valley and rather
gloomy from what I remember.
I think there is another smaller village near Muerren too.

I have stayed several times in Wengen, up on the other side of the valley
from Lauterbrunnen. I really like the place, especially the old fashioned
Hotel Falken. It is convenient for the railway to the Jungfrau, Eiger
Glacier etc. and down the other side to Grindelwald.

But Muerren may be better for what you want.

Old April 1st, 2007, 11:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT

"RAK" wrote in message
.. .

"Henry" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to visit Staubbach Falls, Trummelbach Falls, and Schilthorn
during my stay in Switzerland. Should I stay in Muerren or
Lauterbrunnen? Or is there a better base?

Thanks in advance

I would go for Muerren. Lauterbrunnen is deep in the valley and rather
gloomy from what I remember.
I think there is another smaller village near Muerren too.

I have stayed several times in Wengen, up on the other side of the valley
from Lauterbrunnen. I really like the place, especially the old fashioned
Hotel Falken. It is convenient for the railway to the Jungfrau, Eiger
Glacier etc. and down the other side to Grindelwald.

But Muerren may be better for what you want.

Staubbach and Trummelbach are very adjacent to Lauterbrunnen, which is in a
deep valley and doesn't get a lot of sunlight. Muerren is a delightful
village and I highly recommend the Hotel Eiger. I also very much like Wengen
and my favourite hotel there is the Hotel Wengenerhof, which is at the end
of the small village and from where you have a magnificent view of the
Staubbach Falls.

JohnT

Old April 1st, 2007, 04:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Henry

Thank you for the advice.

Would it be too time consuming and costly to stay at Wengen and visit
Staubbach Falls, Trummelbach Falls, and Schilthorn?

On Apr 1, 5:23 am, "JohnT" wrote:
"RAK" wrote in message

.. .

roups.com...

Old April 1st, 2007, 06:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT

"Henry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you for the advice.

Would it be too time consuming and costly to stay at Wengen and visit
Staubbach Falls, Trummelbach Falls, and Schilthorn?

No. Wengen is about 15 minutes from Lauterbrunnen, up a rack railway.
Muerren is on the other side of the Lauterbrunnen Valley and the Schilthorn
can be reached by cable car (or a very energetic walk) from Muerren.

JohnT

Old April 1st, 2007, 07:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Willshaw

"Henry" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to visit Staubbach Falls, Trummelbach Falls, and Schilthorn
during my stay in Switzerland. Should I stay in Muerren or
Lauterbrunnen? Or is there a better base?

Thanks in advance

Personally I like LauterBrunnen but some people complain
that its gloomy. The valley setting does give some wonderful views though.

Keith

Old April 1st, 2007, 11:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Make credence recognised that on Sun, 1 Apr 2007 19:45:03 +0100,
"Keith Willshaw" has
scripted:

"Henry" wrote in message
roups.com...
I want to visit Staubbach Falls, Trummelbach Falls, and Schilthorn
during my stay in Switzerland. Should I stay in Muerren or
Lauterbrunnen? Or is there a better base?

Thanks in advance

Personally I like LauterBrunnen but some people complain
that its gloomy. The valley setting does give some wonderful views though.

I stayed there, and indeed it does seem to always be in the shade and
humid. That a big thing in a chilly place like that.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
LittleRob

We stayed in Lauterbrunnen and found it a very good base. It was also
convenient since we had travelled by car and could park opposite whereas
Wengen and Murren are car-free.

Rob
"Deeply Filled Mortician" wrote
in message ...
Make credence recognised that on Sun, 1 Apr 2007 19:45:03 +0100,
"Keith Willshaw" has
scripted:

groups.com...