Royal Caribbean - how is the food?

Old May 21st, 2004, 08:53 PM
L Mehl

Default Royal Caribbean - how is the food?

Hello --

We will be on a 4-night Baja cruise on the Monarch of the Seas. It will be
my first cruise in quite a while.

Can anyone tell me about the quality and variety of food and how it compares
to other lines?

Thanks for any information.

L Mehl

Old May 22nd, 2004, 12:19 AM
JJ

Well, i'm sure there will be many different opinions on this one as everyone
has their personal favorite, but for me, Princess & Celebrity are a notch
above Royal Caribbean, while Royal Caribbean is definitely above Carnival &
NCL. john
ink.net...

Old May 22nd, 2004, 03:17 AM
DaFlaBear

I believe JJ is totally correct in his observations.
But on a 4 nighter on the Baja does it really matter?
Please.
This is a party trip!

Old May 22nd, 2004, 03:54 AM
Bill C

Well I guess you're right about differing opinions. Reading reviews of late
about RCCL seems their food is not good. Sue Mullen refuses to even book
RCCL because of the food.
On the other hand people have been giving very favorable reviews to
Carnivals food.
Celebrity gets the best ratings about food while Princess is second.

Bill

"JJ" wrote in message
et...
Well, i'm sure there will be many different opinions on this one as

everyone
has their personal favorite, but for me, Princess & Celebrity are a notch
above Royal Caribbean, while Royal Caribbean is definitely above Carnival

&
NCL. john

Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:40 AM
Edward

I have only been on two cruises, once on Carnival Conquest and once on
Mariner of the Seas. In my opinion, the food on the Conquest was much
better than the Mariner, including the buffets (better variety) and the
dining room. I know it varies with the individual waiters, but our
waiters on the Conquest were also much better than Mariner's. (However,
another waiter on the Mariner even commented that our waitress was not
doing her job very well.)

Old May 22nd, 2004, 02:09 PM
joyce1155

I am not a foodie but my husband is and we have found that RCCL's food is very
good both in the DR and at the buffett. I don't even know where I would place
it compared to CCL and Celebrity as I am not into critiquing every morsel that
goes into my mouth. You will enjoy the cuisine of whatever cruise line you
sail.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 04:03 PM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Bill C wrote:

Well I guess you're right about differing opinions. Reading reviews of late
about RCCL seems their food is not good. Sue Mullen refuses to even book
RCCL because of the food.

Hi Bill, So nice that you remember(grin).

The Rhapsody was our 13th cruise and before this cruise we were always
happy with the food. We have sailed Carnival and RCCL, some time ago,
more Recently Celebrity, Princess and Disney. On the Rhapsody, at dinner
time the appetizers, salads and soups were mostly good, the main course
only a couple were good. We found that in the lido the pancakes and
french toast weren't very good and the only decent eggs were the fried
eggs. Yes there was an omelet station, but the omlets weren't very good.
The Taco station in the lido was very good, as were a lot of their breads.

From what I have heard the food in general on RCCL has gone downhill,
but it is hit or miss and you may find the food on your sailing to be fine.

L Mehl, I hope you have a great cruise and that you are happier with the
food then we were.

sue

Old May 22nd, 2004, 04:59 PM
L Mehl

All --

Thanks for the comments.

L Mehl

Old May 22nd, 2004, 05:58 PM
Steve Hayes

While RCI is not my favorite cruise line I want to tell you that I did
go on the Monarch in January/04 and was pleasently suprised by the
food offerings. Their expanded two story buffet area in the Windjammer
Cafe along with the Jade Restaurant (Japanese offerings) were good to
very good.The food was good in the dining room. The "Baja" deck party
was a huge success with music and a large variety of food choices.
As far as this being a party ship. It was in a good sense of the word.
What I experienced were people who liked to use the pool areas during
the day and dance, dance dance into the wee hours. Many of the younger
20-40 year olds dressed to impress at night as if going out
"clubbing". There was lively conversation, drinking but not going
overboard. I would consider this an energetic lively cruise to have
fun.

Steve Hayes