Tunesia a disappointment compared to Marocco

Old July 7th, 2006, 07:40 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Stephan

Default Tunesia a disappointment compared to Marocco

I have been travelling for some years to Marocco. Fascinating!! I am
planning to go to Tunesia next winter. Will this be a disappointment??
Who has experiences with travelling in both countries??
Thanks for your comments!

Old July 7th, 2006, 12:51 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Pat Anderson

In message , Stephan
writes
I have been travelling for some years to Marocco. Fascinating!! I am
planning to go to Tunesia next winter. Will this be a disappointment??
Who has experiences with travelling in both countries??
Thanks for your comments!

TUNISIA!
--
Pat Anderson
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:21 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marie-Aude

Le Fri, 7 Jul 2006 08:40:01 +0200, Stephan a écrit :

I have been travelling for some years to Marocco. Fascinating!! I am
planning to go to Tunesia next winter. Will this be a disappointment??
Who has experiences with travelling in both countries??
Thanks for your comments!

I prefered Morocco to Tunisia, but that's purely personnal, and based on so
different experiences and circumstances that I'm not sure it's really
useful

On the overall, when I was alone, as a woman, I felt more comfortable in
Morocco than in Tunisia (I speak of comfort, not of danger, which I did not
feel anywhere, neither Tunisia nor Morocco)
The traditions of these two countries are quite different, and for myself I
prefer the old berber ways of south Morocco.
They are more (and more interesting) ruins and Antics in Tunisia, more
interesting arabic and traditionnal berber buildings in Morocco, but
definitively, from that point of view, Tunisia is richer.
From landscapes and sceneries, I prefer Morocco.

--
Marie-Aude
www.trassagere.com
Old July 8th, 2006, 12:00 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

Funny enough- I have been associated with the Bebers in the south east
of Morocco. Have a small hotel in Merzouga with a Beber partner and a
small tour company traveling throughout Morocco. The Berbers are quite
different than the Arabs.
The Roman ruins at Volubilis- different theme- are quite impressive
(between Fes and Meknes)

The scenery is quite fascinate and varied in Morocco. I know some folks
travel on their own- but when they have a driver/guide, they really get
to experience the real culture and see more things.

Elena Hall
..
www.bluemenofmorocco.com

Marie-Aude wrote:
[...]

From landscapes and sceneries, I prefer Morocco.

--
Marie-Aude
www.trassagere.com

Old July 9th, 2006, 12:35 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected][_1_]

Default Antics in Tunisia

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 11:21:13 +0200, Marie-Aude
wrote:

Antics in Tunisia, more
interesting arabic and traditionnal berber buildings in Morocco, but
definitively, from that point of view, Tunisia is richer.
From landscapes and sceneries, I prefer Morocco.

Um, did you mean antiques? If not, I'd like to hear more about
Tunisian antics. Thanks.

Old July 10th, 2006, 01:27 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Tashi

I have been to both countries. I just returned from Tunisia in Feb. this
year. I prefer Tunisia to Moroc.
Out of all my travels, Moroc was the the only country that I wanted to leave
after a week of being there!
Don't get me wrong, Moroc is a beautiful country with lots to offer and
people should go to see the country, but personally I found Moroc to be way
too pushy for my liking. I found the Southern part of Moroc to be much more
relaxed.

I don't know what you mean when you say "will this be a dissappointment?"
I guess it depends on what your looking to do and what your likes and
dislikes are.
Tunisia is a tourist place like Moroc, however Tunisia is the most liberal
of all the Arab Nations.

Feb. is the rainy season in Tunisia,, like winter. When I was there the
Northern part was rainy and the southern part (desert) was unbelievably
cold!!! hot during the day.

The money now is $1USD to 1.30 TD when I went the money was $1 CDN to
$1.15TD which made for a more expensive trip, however, food and lodging is
relatively cheap.

The breakdown of Tunisia is like this...

The Northern part is forest, the sea, beautiful lush green farm lands lots
of large rolling hills and small villages..
there are a couple of major touristy places there, Bizerte and Tabarka
although in Feb, there is not much going on there and most places are closed
for the season.
I didn't find the beaches too impressive. (probably because they weren't in
the busy season).

The Western part is beach resort area... Hammamout, Sousse,(large resort
cities) Monastir (Ribat) and Sfax.
Sfax is a large city with an awesome Medina, not as touched by tourism like
the one in Tunis.
Kairouan is a carpet place, and considered the Holiest Islamic city in
Tunisia.

The Island Djerba has a Zone Touristique....

Southern Tunisia is Desert..
highlights there a Matmata (underground troglodyte homes and Star wars
sets), Tataouine (ksour), Ksar Ghilane (hot spring Oasis), Tozeur (old
quarter and a world renowned Museum, a must see if you go 3 museums in one),
Nefta (salt lakes and palmeries).
-Camel trekkiing (Grand Erg Oriental)

The Western Side is the end of the Anti-Atlas Mtns.. with highlights of

-Chebika, Mides and Tamerza(Mtn. Oasis Villages)

Tunis... the capital.. is a large city of a couple million, with a large
Medina.
If your into the food, find the spot where the restaurants specialize in
food from Sfax...

see my site below for places to stay, pics, tips etc...

I don't know what exactly you like to do when you visit, how you travel
etc..?

I was a single woman backpacker from Canada...I found Tunisia a bit more
expensive due the $ being just about at par with the Canadian Dollar.
The people in Tunisia are not as pushy in selling things to tourists as they
are in Moroc..
Although there is a party life along the coastal resort areas, I never
noticed a large drug problem like I did in Moroc.. (hash not as available
like in Moroc)

Also, I never noticed a place like Merrakesh there with the street
performers.. but I'm sure there are many festivals etc... in the high
season.

I think Tunisia is worth it, if only too see what you might be missing or
not.

Tashi
--
I don't go anywhere.