air conditioning may be making us fat

Old July 20th, 2006, 08:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default air conditioning may be making us fat

Mxsmanic wrote:

Stanislas de Kertanguy writes:

You said there were no French fast food chains, I answered with
examples such as Paul and La Brioche dorée. These are even mntioned in
the Paris Fast food section of your website (hence the name I gave to
the debate).

Not everything in that section is a fast-food chain in the American
sense.

There you go again.

The French chains are mere approximations. I wouldn't call a
place that sells mainly rolls and sandwiches and has no place to sit
down and has slow service and no trays a fast-food chain.

La Brioche Dorée does indeed have seats in many of their locations.
Conversely, many of the McDs and Burger Kings in UK train stations don't
have seats.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old July 20th, 2006, 08:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Martin wrote:

[]
Air conditioning itself may contribute to infection with common cold
viruses. The lining of the nose is covered with a thin layer of mucus
which protects against infection. Since air conditioners extract
moisture from the air they may cause some drying of the protective
mucous blanket in the nose and predispose to infection. The cold air
may also help viruses to establish a hold in the nose as they
reproduce better in a cold nose.

I think there must be something in that. I found in the US that when I
spent a lot of time in an a/c environment, I would get unusually large
number of 'sniffles' and colds. I used to go to a gym in Philadelphia
which was in a hotel which in 1976, had a rather infamous convention of
the American Legion!

That said, I have to admit that for my sins, I twice sought air
conditioned spaces yesterday while walking around town. An ice coffee in
Starbucks for half an hour, and then dinner at Tampopo, where we made a
conscious choice to avoid the restaurant we'd originally planned to go
to, because it felt too hot...

Old July 20th, 2006, 08:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Carole Allen writes:

Yes, the symptoms come from the immune response.

You finally looked it up? Good.

You are not
answering the question of WHY the immune responses differ in healthy
and compromised systems, thereby resulting in fewer symptoms with a
compromised immune systems.

Then again, maybe you didn't. In any case, I'm tired of explaining
it.

Old July 20th, 2006, 08:46 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the royal duchy of city south and
deansgate writes:

I don't think any sane reader of this group would put much stock in any
rules you were to explain.

My students are not readers of this group.

Old July 20th, 2006, 08:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

deansgate writes:

I think there must be something in that. I found in the US that when I
spent a lot of time in an a/c environment, I would get unusually large
number of 'sniffles' and colds. I used to go to a gym in Philadelphia
which was in a hotel which in 1976, had a rather infamous convention of
the American Legion!

Air conditioning is actually preferred for allergy sufferers, as the
air is usually filtered and thus less likely to contain large amounts
of allergens.

Old July 20th, 2006, 08:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

deansgate writes:

I don't think any sane reader of this group would put much stock in any
rules you were to explain.

My students are not readers of this group.

You don't know- some could be.

Old July 20th, 2006, 08:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

deansgate writes:

I think there must be something in that. I found in the US that when I
spent a lot of time in an a/c environment, I would get unusually large
number of 'sniffles' and colds. I used to go to a gym in Philadelphia
which was in a hotel which in 1976, had a rather infamous convention of
the American Legion!

Air conditioning is actually preferred for allergy sufferers, as the
air is usually filtered and thus less likely to contain large amounts
of allergens.

That must explain why I get sniffles when spending a lot of time in a/c
environments then.

Old July 20th, 2006, 09:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the royal duchy of city south and
deansgate writes:

You don't know- some could be.

They aren't.

Old July 20th, 2006, 09:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

deansgate writes:

That must explain why I get sniffles when spending a lot of time in a/c
environments then.

I don't know why you get them, but it's not because of infectious
agents.

Old July 20th, 2006, 09:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Mxsmanic wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the royal duchy of city south and
deansgate writes:

You don't know- some could be.

They aren't.

You don't know that.