air conditioning may be making us fat

Old July 20th, 2006, 12:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default air conditioning may be making us fat

Dave Frightens Me wrote:

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 04:15:12 GMT, (Carole Allen)
wrote:

[]
By definition, those with AS have a normal IQ and many individuals
(although not all), exhibit exceptional skill or talent in a specific
area. Because of their high degree of functionality and their naiveté,
those with AS are often viewed as eccentric or odd and can easily
become victims of teasing and bullying. While language development
seems, on the surface, normal, individuals with AS often have deficits
in pragmatics and prosody. Vocabularies may be extraordinarily rich
and some children sound like "little professors." However, persons
with AS can be extremely literal and have difficulty using language in
a social context.

Damn, he's a textbook case.

Certainly if his usenet persona is anything to go by, and he insists
that he's 100% honest.

--
David Horne-
http://www.davidhorne.net
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Stanislas de Kertanguy wrote:

Mxsmanic a pensé très fort :
Music uses tones and
timbres that are pleasing to the ear and arranges them in mathematical
relationships to each other that also are pleasing to the ear. Noise
does not.

That does not apply to atonal music, or to dodecaphonic music. The
latter does not match your point about being pleasing to the ear,

Oh, but atonal music is often pleasing to _my_ ear. That's all that
matters, really. Mixi really is up the creek on this one- he doesn't
have a clue what he's talking about. Very illuminating!

Old July 20th, 2006, 01:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
stanislas de kertanguy

Il se trouve que David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the royal duchy of
city south and deansgate a formulé :
Stanislas de Kertanguy wrote:

Mxsmanic a pensé très fort :
Music uses tones and
timbres that are pleasing to the ear and arranges them in mathematical
relationships to each other that also are pleasing to the ear. Noise
does not.

That does not apply to atonal music, or to dodecaphonic music. The
latter does not match your point about being pleasing to the ear,

Oh, but atonal music is often pleasing to _my_ ear. That's all that
matters, really. Mixi really is up the creek on this one- he doesn't
have a clue what he's talking about. Very illuminating!

Yes, I like it very much too, but I wanted to point out that it does
not follow the rules of classical harmony that "forbid" the use of
concords that are deemed unpleasant to the ear (the tritone, for
instance), or demand that the closing note is the tonal one to
"appease" the ear (just think about Tristan, that's a huge relief to
hear AT LAST the conclusion! do you know the old joke about Tristan
that says, had Wagner made him die in the first act, we'd have gone
dining three hours earlier!)

--
remplacez "lesptt" par "laposte" pour me joindre
substitute "laposte" for "lesptt" to reach me

Old July 20th, 2006, 01:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

[...]

Yes, and if you want to narrow the field to classical music, even what
is and isn't a 'dissonance' has changed over centuries.

Still, we ought to listen to Mixi on this subject- he has so much to say
on it!

Old July 20th, 2006, 01:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Carole Allen

By definition, those with AS have a normal IQ and many individuals
(although not all), exhibit exceptional skill or talent in a specific
area. Because of their high degree of functionality and their naiveté,

there was an autistic chap on the radio who could speak 10
languages and recite pie to 2000 places but didnt know left from
right.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old July 20th, 2006, 02:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the royal duchy
of city south and deansgate

That does not apply to atonal music, or to dodecaphonic music. The
latter does not match your point about being pleasing to the ear,

Oh, but atonal music is often pleasing to _my_ ear. That's all that
matters, really. Mixi really is up the creek on this one- he doesn't
have a clue what he's talking about. Very illuminating!

he's not the only one, all this horizontal and vertical atonal
dodoecaphonic modulation stuff goes right over my head, whats
wrong with a nice tune? Do you know "Yellow submarine"?

Why did he start a musical theory argument with a composer and an
opera singer certain to see it, thats not very bright, is it?
Old July 20th, 2006, 04:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Mxsmanic wrote:

Carole Allen writes:

WHY will a compromised immune system produce fewer symptoms than a
healthy one?

As I have explained again, and again, and again, the symptoms of a
cold come from the immune response to the virus, not the virus itself.

How odd that no one seems to accept what you claim is true!
(Perhaps it's because so many of your pronouncements - on
every conceivable subject - contradict known fact, so only
you believe them.)

Old July 20th, 2006, 04:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Mxsmanic wrote:

Dave Frightens Me writes:

How is this newsgroups not representative of the world? We think
you're a loser, and apparently so does the world - which is why your
life is so poor.

The world has not expressed an opinion.

Ever hear of "cause and effect"? If the quality of your
life is as poor as you claim here, it would appear the world
HAS "expressed an opinion", albeit obliquely!

Old July 20th, 2006, 04:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Mxsmanic wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the royal duchy of city south and
deansgate writes:

This is a good example of your dishonesty. You said _universal_. What
are they?

They are universal because people can distinguish music from noise.

Depends upon how wide your definition of "music" is - some
of us who love classical music find it difficult to
distinguish some currnt types of "pop" music from "noise".

Without rules, that wouldn't be possible.

But the "rules" change - as they have over the centuries.

Music uses tones and
timbres that are pleasing to the ear and arranges them in mathematical
relationships to each other that also are pleasing to the ear.

Define "pleasing" - there's no real consensus, or there
would not be so very many kinds of music which some people
find pleasing and others do not.

Noise
does not. Thus, music follows universal rules that distinguish it
from noise.

Your're crawling out onto another shaky limb, Mixi - why not
stop talking about things you know nothing about?