Bergen to Nordkapp

Old January 10th, 2009, 07:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

Default Bergen to Nordkapp

In article ,
Bert Hyman wrote:

In erilar
wrote:

In article 2009010917195375249-stephedanospam@maccom,

People have mentioned taking a boat, but I'm picking up a new car
there on European Delivery (I'm from America), and I recall how
awesome Wester Ross was and hated being stuck in a little rental car.

The ship I was on also carried cars. . .

While the Hurtigruten steamers are combination passenger/mail/cargo
ships, the time in port at most stops wouldn't allow getting the car
off, visiting the sights and getting it back on again.

I was thinking more in terms of using the ship as a kind of
shortcut 8-)

A one-way (or part-way) cruise originating in Bergen while driving the
rest of the way might be an interesting compromise.

I imagine there are people who do just that.

My wife and I did the Bergen-Bergen round trip in the spring of '07 and
are ready to do it again, even though I'm certain the scenery hasn't
changed :-).

I know the feeling 8-) I went up to Kirkenes, then flew to Oslo. Great
trip!!

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo*

Old January 10th, 2009, 11:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

On 2009-01-10 01:49:11 -0600, (Mark Brader) said:

But will the weather be good? If you're talking about going there
*now*, in midwinter, I would be very surprised! Not only should you
expect plenty of snow, but very little daylight. I have no experience
driving in Norway in the winter, but I could easily imagine the trip
taking twice as long. Heck, it's even possible that some of the
highways I'll mention later on will be closed for the winter.

Good point, I should have mentioned the date.

This would be for the last two weeks in August. Roughly a week in each
direction.

That's exactly when I went.

Note that this is "winter" season. Not with regard to the weather
(obviously), but with regards to the ferry timetables and Hotel prices
(which are more expensive!).

Did you read my earlier post that I referenced. You will need all the info
it.

I should expect no snow on the ground at that time, right?

No, no snow.

Also, I was considering returning via Sweden or Finland, what do you
think? Would you recommend one over the other, in terms of a scenic
drive?

ISTR that I've answered this question before?

There is nothing at all scenic about the east cost of Sweden except for:

http://www.hogakusten.com/.

Though with some detours inland there is a fair amount of interesting
Industrial Archaeology and Neolithic sites (if that's good for you?)

As for Finland, I haven't driven it, but I've dome it on that train, and I
was not impressed with the scenery (or the intermediate towns) there either.

tim

Old January 11th, 2009, 09:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mark Brader

Mark Brader:
It appears that Bergen to Nordkapp would be roughly 2,100 km by road,

"Tim":
I can't make it much under 2300km BTW.

Is the road more indirect than I guessed on the northern section where
I did not have a map available, or did I make a mistake somewhere else?

Your map is out of date.
There is a nice new (toll) tunnel under the mountains here.

Ah, I see, linking the main road to Aurland with the one near
Lærdalsøyri. That should bring the Bergen-Otta section of the
trip down to about 450 km. Thanks for the correction.

ISTM that the recommended route would be to use the E16 East to the
51 and then North to the E6.

I don't think highway 51 quite connects with the E6, though. You
have to jog east from one to the other, either through Bjølstadmo
using highway 257 or through Vågåmo using highway 15 (a more major
road but a bit greater distance).
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "If any form of pleasure is exhibited, report

Old January 11th, 2009, 11:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mark Brader

Mark Brader:
Is the road more indirect than I guessed on the northern section where
I did not have a map available, or did I make a mistake somewhere else?

"Martin":
Have you tried using Google Maps and or Google Earth?

I prefer to use a text-only environment when accessing Usenet, and
anyway, Google Maps maps don't show distances between cities along
a road like real ones do.
--
Mark Brader | "Basically, what I *really* want is the USENET of the 1980s
Toronto | without the high long-distance telephone bills."
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

Is the road more indirect than I guessed on the northern section
where I did not have a map available, or did I make a mistake
somewhere else?

Have you tried using Google Maps and or Google Earth?

I prefer to use a text-only environment when accessing Usenet, and
anyway, Google Maps maps don't show distances between cities along
a road like real ones do.

I have a set of five maps of the whole of Norway (some at 1:325,000,
some at 1:400,000) published by Cappelens. They're probably what
you'd want for the proposed trip if they're still in print. They
were first published in 1965 but my copies don't look that old.

Nordkapp isn't actually the northernmost point on these maps: that's
Knivskjellodden, a few kilometres west on the same island, with no
road to it.

Since neither of them is on the mainland it's not clear why they
should have any special significance. If we're counting islands,
isn't the northernmost point of Norway at the top end of Svalbard?

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old January 12th, 2009, 12:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Mark Brader" wrote in message
Mark Brader:
It appears that Bergen to Nordkapp would be roughly 2,100 km by road,

"Tim":
I can't make it much under 2300km BTW.

Is the road more indirect than I guessed on the northern section where
I did not have a map available, or did I make a mistake somewhere else?

I've no idea.

I just used a journey planner to get a route.

All sensible options were just short of 2300 Km

tim

Old January 12th, 2009, 06:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerald Oliver Swift

Nordkapp isn't actually the northernmost point on these maps: that's
Knivskjellodden, a few kilometres west on the same island, with no
road to it.

Since neither of them is on the mainland it's not clear why they
should have any special significance. If we're counting islands,
isn't the northernmost point of Norway at the top end of Svalbard?

Indeed it is. A place called Rossoya (Ross Island) which lies at a latitude
of 80 degrees 49 minutes North, just 637 miles from the North Pole.
Coincidentally, Norway's most southern point (Bouvet Island) lies in the
South Atlantic Ocean at a latitude of 54 degrees 26 minutes South .
The distance between these two "territorial" extremes is 9,380 miles.

Gerry

Old January 12th, 2009, 11:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"Jack Campin - bogus address" kirjoitti

I have a set of five maps of the whole of Norway (some at 1:325,000,
some at 1:400,000) published by Cappelens. They're probably what
you'd want for the proposed trip if they're still in print. They
were first published in 1965 but my copies don't look that old.

The data is badly outdated though. I have a hunch that the Norwegian road
network has been developed MORE or less during the last 44 years.....
Digital maps are for navigation. Hard copies are for reference.

Old January 12th, 2009, 12:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"Mark Brader" kirjoitti
Mark Brader:
Is the road more indirect than I guessed on the northern section where
I did not have a map available, or did I make a mistake somewhere else?

"Martin":
Have you tried using Google Maps and or Google Earth?

I prefer to use a text-only environment when accessing Usenet, and
anyway, Google Maps maps don't show distances between cities along
a road like real ones do.
--

What is this supposed to mean? When Google Maps does routing on a
roadnetwork, it does show distances alright. The following route starts from

Nygårdsgaten

1. Kulje suuntaan kaakko väylää Nygårdsgaten suuntaan Hans Tanks gate
0,2 km
2. Käänny vasemmalle kohdassa Lars Hilles gate 0,2 km
3. Käänny oikealle kohdassa Agnes Mowinckels gate 0,1 km
4. Käänny oikealle kohdassa E16/Fjøsangerveien 0,2 km
5. Käänny liittymästä väylälle E16/E39/Åsaneveien
Jatka väylää E16
Kulje 3 liikenneympyrän kautta 23,5 km
6. Poistu liikenneympyrästä liittymään toinen väylälle
E16/Hardangervegen
Jatka väylää E16
Kulje yhden liikenneympyrän kautta 53,9 km
7. Käänny oikealle jatkaaksesi väylällä E16 22,6 km
8. Käänny vasemmalle kohdassa E16/Sverresplassen
Jatka väylää E16 73 m
9. Käänny oikealle kohdassa E16/Vangsgata
Jatka väylää E16 1,2 km
10. Käänny vasemmalle jatkaaksesi väylällä E16
Kulje 2 liikenneympyrän kautta 97,5 km
11. Poistu liikenneympyrästä liittymään ensimmäinen ja jatka väylällä
E16 30,1 km
12. Käänny vasemmalle jatkaaksesi väylällä E16 67,2 km
13. Jyrkästi vasempaan (kyltit Kvien) 1,6 km
14. Käänny oikeaan 3,3 km
15. Käänny vasemmalle suuntaan 51 15,0 km
16. Käänny vasemmalle kohdassa 51 92,1 km
17. Käänny oikealle kohdassa 15
Kulje yhden liikenneympyrän kautta 7,2 km
18. Poistu liikenneympyrästä liittymään ensimmäinen ja jatka väylällä
15 5,1 km
19. Käänny vasemmalle 11,2 km
20. Käänny vasemmalle suuntaan Strand 1,2 km
21. Käänny oikealle kohdassa Strand 0,4 km
22. Käänny vasemmalle kohdassa E6 33,6 km
23. Käänny liikenneympyrästä liittymään ensimmäinen ja jatka väylällä
E6 suuntaan Trondheim 182 km
24. Loivasti oikealle jatkaaksesi väylällä E6
Tiemaksu osassa tietä 11,0 km
25. Siirry väylälle E6/Omkjøringsvegen
Jatka väylää E6
Tiemaksu osassa tietä
Kulje 11 liikenneympyrän kautta 476 km
26. Poistu liikenneympyrästä liittymään ensimmäinen ja jatka väylällä
E6
Kulje 5 liikenneympyrän kautta 177 km
27. Poistu liikenneympyrästä liittymään ensimmäinen väylälle
E6/Follaveien
Jatka väylää E6 127 km
28. Loivasti oikealle kohdassa 827 4,3 km
29. Matkusta lautalla 827/Drag - Kjøpsvik 15,6 km
30. Jatka suoraan väylällä 827/Kjøpsvikveien 0,4 km
31. Poistu liikenneympyrästä liittymään toinen väylälle 827
Kulje yhden liikenneympyrän kautta 34,2 km
32. Käänny oikealle kohdassa E6
Kulje 6 liikenneympyrän kautta 243 km
33. Loivasti oikealle jatkaaksesi väylällä E6 18,3 km
34. Käänny vasemmalle kohdassa 868 41,8 km
35. Loivasti oikealle kohdassa 91/Stigenveien
Jatka väylää 91 0,2 km
36. Käänny oikealle jatkaaksesi väylällä 91 19 m
37. Matkusta lautalla 91/Lyngseidet - Olderdalen kohteeseen Kåfjord
12,7 km
38. Jatka suoraan väylällä 91/Haugenvegen
Jatka väylää 91 0,3 km
39. Käänny vasemmalle kohdassa E6/Olderdalsvegen
Jatka väylää E6 219 km
40. Poistu liikenneympyrästä liittymään ensimmäinen väylälle
Aronnesveien
Kulje yhden liikenneympyrän kautta 5,0 km
41. Loivasti vasemmalle jatkaaksesi väylällä Aronnesveien 88 m
42. Poistu liikenneympyrästä liittymään ensimmäinen väylälle
Altaveien/E6
Jatka väylää E6 80,0 km
43. Käänny oikealle jatkaaksesi väylällä E6 22,9 km
44. Käänny vasemmalle kohdassa E69
Tiemaksu osassa tietä 97,1 km
45. Käänny vasemmalle jatkaaksesi väylällä E69 18,9 km
46. Käänny vasemmalle jatkaaksesi väylällä E69 12,3 km
47. Loivasti oikeaan 0,2 km

Tuntematon tie

Nämä reittiohjeet ovat vain suuntaa-antavia. On mahdollista, että
rakennustyömaat, liikennemuutokset, sää tai muut tapahtumat aiheuttavat
poikkeamia karttaan. Suunnittele reitti sen mukaisesti. Noudata kaikkia
reittiä koskevia kylttejä ja ohjeita.
Karttatiedot ©