Airport transfer Lanzarote

Old January 12th, 2009, 01:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Ley

Default Airport transfer Lanzarote

Hi,

Anyone have any experience of airport transfer from Lanzarote ACE, to
Playa Del Carmen, 2 people, but both with bike boxes, so lots of
luggage space, all the normal airport transfer places seem to want to
charge lots extra for that.

Cheers,

Jim.

Old January 12th, 2009, 02:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Ley

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 06:15:46 -0800 (PST), Katherine Wiel
wrote:

On Jan 12, 2:59=A0pm, (Jim Ley) wrote:
Hi,

Anyone have any experience of airport transfer from Lanzarote ACE, to
Playa Del Carmen, 2 people, but both with bike boxes, so lots of
luggage space, all the normal airport transfer places seem to want to
charge lots extra for that.

Cheers,

Jim.

why dont u cycle ?

'cos the bikes are in boxes for the flight, and towing them behind on
the bikes really doesn't work too well...

Jim.

Old January 12th, 2009, 03:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Ley

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 06:52:37 -0800 (PST), Katherine Wiel
wrote:

'cos the bikes are in boxes for the flight, and towing them behind on
the bikes really doesn't work too well...

cant u fold a box ?

No, then it would be a bag... or something else similarly flimsy and
inapproriate for the protection of bicycles on aircraft.

Jim.
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Katherine Wiel

wrote:
'cos the bikes are in boxes for the flight, and towing them behind on
the bikes really doesn't work too well...

cant u fold a box ?

No, then it would be a bag... or something else similarly flimsy and
inapproriate for the protection of bicycles on aircraft.

Jim.

bubble wrap is good, and flexible
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Ley

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:44:33 +0100, Martin wrote:

You are committed to that as soon as you decide to take your bikes with you.

doing it in the hotel is a lot easier than in a crowded airport.

The box I used for transporting a bike was the box it was sold in. It was as
near hassle free as you can get.

I would not trust my bike to a cardboard box.

Why don't you rent bikes when you get there?

Significantly cheaper to take my own, and more importantly I get a lot
better bike that fits me absolutely correctly.

Lanzarote is one of the worst places we ever had a holiday.

It's good for cycling...

Jim.
Old January 12th, 2009, 05:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Ley

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:53:34 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 16:46:59 GMT, (Jim Ley) wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:44:33 +0100, Martin wrote:

You are committed to that as soon as you decide to take your bikes with you.

doing it in the hotel is a lot easier than in a crowded airport.

Your problem is to get your bikes to & from the hotel???

No, the bikes, and the boxes - as I said, unpacking and packing them
in an airport is not something I want to do. The hassle is not worth
it.

Talking of which, if your bikes go missing you are buggered.

No, that's what travel insurance is for.

Significantly cheaper to take my own, and more importantly I get a lot
better bike that fits me absolutely correctly.

Even if it costs a significant amount to get your bikes to and from the hotel.

Left luggage places at airports tend to be expensive, and I'm sure
left luggage would not offer a cost saving. ACE does not appear to
have left luggage facilties in any case, so I cannot find a cost to
actually compare.

Lanzarote is one of the worst places we ever had a holiday.

It's good for cycling...

So are many other much nicer places.

Not in january, there's not many comparable places with good cycling
and appropriate weather.

Jim.
Old January 12th, 2009, 05:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Ley

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:16:48 +0100, Martin wrote:

I meant is it still significantly cheaper taking your bike compared to hiring
when you get there.

Yep, hiring a good bike is more expensive than taking the flights, and
even if seperate cab was needed for the bike it would still be cheaper
(just)

The
food was substantially worse in Lanzarote. Most of the population seemed by
English prats trying to sell time share holidays.

I'm sure they're easy to avoid.

Jim.