Validating U/S-bahn tickets in Munich

Old March 4th, 2009, 08:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

Default Validating U/S-bahn tickets in Munich

Is it legal to validate MVV tickets outside their area of coverage?
I've calculated that the cheapest option for me is get a 3-day
Innenraum ticket to move around, and use 1-day Aussenraum tickets to
get to/from the airport. The regular way to do it would be validating
the Aussenraum ticket at the airport, travel to a border station
(Feldmoching), exit the train, validate the Innenraum ticket and then
hurry back on the train. But if I can validate the ticket at the
airport, I can just sit back and relax.

Also, on lines with no border station, is an Innenraum + Aussenraum
combo legal?

Old March 4th, 2009, 11:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_4_]

Jesper Lauridsen wrote:
Is it legal to validate MVV tickets outside their area of coverage?
I've calculated that the cheapest option for me is get a 3-day
Innenraum ticket to move around, and use 1-day Aussenraum tickets to
get to/from the airport. The regular way to do it would be validating
the Aussenraum ticket at the airport, travel to a border station
(Feldmoching), exit the train, validate the Innenraum ticket and then
hurry back on the train. But if I can validate the ticket at the
airport, I can just sit back and relax.

Also, on lines with no border station, is an Innenraum + Aussenraum
combo legal?

Well, there's a 76 page document in German on the website describing all
this-
http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/de/home/f...gen/index.html

"Fahrkarten des Bartarifs, die nicht bereits entwertet ausgegeben
werden, müssen durch Entwerter oder durch das Betriebspersonal entwertet
werden.
.... Wenn keine durchgehende Fahrkarte verwendet wird, ist die
Anschlussfahrkarte spätestens am Ende des örtlichen Geltungsbereichs der
vorhergehenden Fahrkarte zu entwerten. "

It just says you should have canceled the 2nd ticket at the latest at
the end of the zone of the 1st ticket. Which logically means you could
also do it at the airport when you set off. However, as we say in
Germany, there is the Prussian way of interpreting rules, and the
Rhineland way - meaning either if something is not allowed, it must be
forbidden, or alternatively if something is not forbidden, it must be ok.

I guess you could print out the document and yellow mark the sections
(pp 13-14) to show the ticket controller.