Trains in Europe (again)--recommendation

Old March 19th, 2016, 05:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim...[_2_]

Default Trains in Europe (again)--recommendation

"Giovanni Drogo" wrote in message
news:alpine.LSU.2.00.1603180920230.12288@cbfrvqba. ynzoengr.vans.vg...
On Thu, 17 Mar 2016, Tom P wrote:

Earlier, someone suggested night trains, to save lodging costs AND
keep the day free for wandering. Sounds good.

They may sound romantic bt they make zero commercial sense any more.

I do not care a bip about romantic, but they make fully sense for the
pocket and the time (- time is money) of the passenger. With a night
train I can leave after work (possibly after supper) and arrive in the
morning say before 8am so that I can start a work meeting at 9am. Any
equivalent combination (flight+hotel, high speed train+hotel) is likely to
cost more, and waste more time.

but most businessmen don't do either of those

they do:

sleep in their own bed

get up at some ungodly hour to get to the airport for an 06:something
departure

taxi from the airport

tim

Old March 21st, 2016, 10:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Sat, 19 Mar 2016, Tom P wrote:

With a night train I can leave after work (possibly after supper)
and arrive in the morning say before 8am so that I can start a work
meeting at 9am.

YOu can actually work after sleeping all night in a train????

I could when I did.

Now I'm getting older and would have other problems, but these will be
worst if I'd have to take an early plane and sleep only a few hours.

Anyhow recently a younger colleague which had to make Bonn-Florence and
return, found that the train was cheaper than the plane, and used a
night train at least on the way back.
Old March 28th, 2016, 03:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2016-03-18 18:17:22 +0000, tim... said:

"Tom P" wrote in message
On 03/05/2016 02:32 AM, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 03-01-2016 05:40, Paul Aubrin wrote:
From Paris to Spain, there are few night trains:

THANKS!
Been off-line for a week, but I'll look into these, now that I'm back.

Overnight sleeper trains are being phased out.

ITWYM is: Overnight sleeper trains are becoming little used and as such
unprofitable (if indeed they ever were profitable) and train operators
are realising that the subsidy required to keep them is better spent
elsewhere

tim

On an overnight from Vienna to Venice, because the route takes less
time than overnight, we stopped mid-way for a couple of hours. And the
fumes of oil permeated everything. Hard to breathe. Never again would
I take an overnight train.

--
Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com

Old March 28th, 2016, 04:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

On an overnight from Vienna to Venice, because the route takes less
time than overnight, we stopped mid-way for a couple of hours. And
the fumes of oil permeated everything. Hard to breathe. Never again
would I take an overnight train.

They don't all use the same rolling stock, you know.

The two sleepers I've used most recently were London-Edinburgh and
Budapest-Romania. Both were fine - the Hungarian one had more
comfortable beds, the British one had a nice lounge bar. The border
hassles between Hungary and Romania (in the small hours) were a
sleep-disrupting nuisance though.

My worst experience with inhaled toxic crap was at Frankfurt
airport. They'd sprayed the entire area I had to wait in with
some kind of scented cleaning product I was allergic to. Non
stop sneezing until they opened the gate.

Old March 31st, 2016, 08:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Aubrin

On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 18:03:40 -0500, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:

I have to be in London at the beginning of April.

I have to be in a tiny village in Navarre 20 April.

I have to be near Sibiu, Romania early June (but need at least a day in
Bucharest first).

In between, I'd like to take trains from London to Pamplona, with a few
one- or two-day stops along the way. But not too many, because I want
to bicycle from Pamplona to Zamora before I report to Villamayor de
MonjardÃ*n on the 20th.

From Villamayor, bus to ?? and then train to Bucharest around the
beginning of June, Again, a few one- or two-day stops along the way
would be nice but not to delay my arrival in Bucharest/Sibiu very much.

Earlier, someone suggested night trains, to save lodging costs AND keep
the day free for wandering. Sounds good.

Low cost would be nice, too. Maybe a pass would be worthwhile. While
working in Villamayor, I pass my 62nd birthday, if that affects prices.

Recommendations?

A travel comparator for coaches, car, and plane.
Paris to Pampelona as cheap as 55EUR by bus. The plane is cheaper, but
not if you add a night in an hotel.
http://www.goeuro.com/