Couple holding hands arrested in Malaysia

Old April 25th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Alfred Molon

Default Couple holding hands arrested in Malaysia

Peter Webb wrote:

No, you have discrimanatory laws which do not allow ethnic Chinese and
Indians the same rights as ethnic Malays. All Australians have equal rights
under law, and this is actually followed.

These laws have helped close the income gap between the local Malays and
the affluent Chinese community, thereby stabilising the country and
creating more social harmony. But they are indeed not needed anymore
now, and it would be a good idea to revoke the Bumiputra status which
Malays enjoy. There are just too many skilled Chinese who leave the
country nowadays.

No asylum seekers want to stay in your country. Your GDP per capita is less
than 1/10th that of Australia - its a very poor country.

What a nonsense - you have never been in Malaysia, have you ? Average
wages in Malayia are about 1/3 of average wages in Germany, and Germany
has one of the highest GDPs in the world. Most people in Malaysia can
afford to have a car, a home, mobile phones, consumer electronics and so
on. The standard of living in Malaysia is quite high, which is why few
Malaysians feel the need to leave the country.

It is also
technologically backward,

And again you show that you have no idea of what you are talking about.
Malaysia is a regional centre for microelectronics (computer chips) and
a local manufacturing base for consumer electronics devices and computer
parts. Currently they are trying to develop a higher value added
industry with the Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC) effort, south of KL.
Anyway, have a look at the capital, to get an idea how "backward" they
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Malaysia/KL/

had racism codified into a set of laws,

Not racism - the Bumipura program was created to reduce social
disparities.

and your
prime minister feels he can lock up political opponents on trumped up sodomy
charges.

By the way, Anwar, had he come to power, would have been a Muslim
radical (or close to that).

The police force is corrupt,

That unfortunately may be the case.

and the culture backwards.

Not backwards - Malaysia is a very modern and dynamic society.

You are a
big, important country in the minds of all people who live between between
Thailand and Singapore, but let me assure you the rest of the world finds
the sight of such a ****ty little country strutting about the world stage as
if anybody gave a **** about you amusing at best. They don't even bother
showing the video footage of Mahatir getting stuck into the English on
English TV, because to explain the joke you would have to explain wher
Malaysia actually is ...

What a pile of rubbish...
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Austria, Budapest and
Portugal
Old April 25th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Dieter Aaaa

"Alfred Molon" schreef in bericht
fairplay wrote:
I think they only arrest locals. Foreigners are allowed to do as they
please, including riding a bicycle downtown Penang shirtless. I saw

this
white guy, just a few days ago, riding carefully, but shirtless, along
Campbell Street.

Is it an offence to ride without a shirt? this is news to me..

Not a crime, but certainly bad taste in a SE Asian country. You have to
respect local sensibilities.

any SE Asia country

...or just Malaysia ?

Old April 25th, 2004, 06:21 PM
ignoramus

On 25 Apr 2004 03:24:27 -0700, (Kito) wrote:

UNlike western
countries, we have a sense of what ia acceptable in a public place.

Well, I actually find hugging and kissing in public okay.

If you find that to be unacceptable, just look away.
Old April 25th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Thomas Stalder

Peter Webb wrote:
"Kito" wrote in message
om...

Yes, they gov't thugs in Kuala Lumpur actually arrested a man and
woman for holding hands and charged them with indecency.

Please boycott the evil country of Malaysia. Yes, some Malaysians may
seem nice, but they allow their gov't to do such evil. Malaysia is a
joke.

Well in Malaysia unlike Australia, we don't oppress the natural
inhabitants of the land.

No, you have discrimanatory laws which do not allow ethnic Chinese and
Indians the same rights as ethnic Malays. All Australians have equal rights
under law, and this is actually followed.

We don't have racist police beating up
teenage boys just because they're the wrong colored skin.

No idea what you are talking about.

We don't
have a pro-war gung-ho Prime Minister who basically is butler (oops i
mean sherrif) to good ol George W. , and we certainly don't send our
troops into other people lands to conquer them under a false pretence
of liberation.

Well, you don't actually have much of an army, navy or air-force, and do not
have the military capability to deploy troops to the other side of the
world. You would be basically just "targets".

Hell, you can't even defend yourselves. In WW2 and the communist insurgency
of 1954 you had Australian troops defending your country. Didn't hear you
bleeting on about "sending troops to other people's lands then".

We don't openly deny asylum seekers

No asylum seekers want to stay in your country. Your GDP per capita is less
than 1/10th that of Australia - its a very poor country. It is also
technologically backward, had racism codified into a set of laws, and your
prime minister feels he can lock up political opponents on trumped up sodomy
charges. The police force is corrupt, and the culture backwards. You are a
big, important country in the minds of all people who live between between
Thailand and Singapore, but let me assure you the rest of the world finds
the sight of such a ****ty little country strutting about the world stage as
if anybody gave a **** about you amusing at best. They don't even bother
showing the video footage of Mahatir getting stuck into the English on
English TV, because to explain the joke you would have to explain wher
Malaysia actually is ...

nor keep them lock
up for decades only to arrest the truly caring Australians who fight
for their freedom. All of this and you call us evil???

Again, no idea what you are talking about.

Facts:
1) The guy who was arrested claims that he was merely holding hands
with his girlfriend. He claims he was fined just because he didn't pay
a bribe to the officers.

2) The officers claim that he and his girlfriend were doing more thna
holding hands, acts that were considered inappropriate. UNlike western
countries, we have a sense of what ia acceptable in a public place.

3) The officers claim trial and pleaded NOT guilty to corruption and
their trial is preceeding.

4) The LAW must be held, if a accused was not acquited or his charges
dropped, he must either pay the fine or have his day in court. Where
if he is innoncent he will be acquited. The Malaysian Government has
done the right thing.

So the FACTS are that the guy claims he was just holding hands and was
arrested for not paying a bribe, and there is no evidence that anything else
has occurred, and your defence is that "Unlike western countries, we have a
sense of what is acceptable in a public place". Presumably that doesn't
include holding hands. Look, don't get too worried about this. This is just
another one of those "look how stupid and backward the Malaysians are"
stories you see all the time. You surely must be used to them by now.

Old April 25th, 2004, 07:09 PM
intruder

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:15:23 +0800, ignoramus
wrote:

You got your facts wrong. The charge is indecent behaviour and it
wasn't just holding hands. They were alleged to have been hugging and
kissing.

Whatever.

On 24 Apr 2004 10:47:20 -0700, (John
Galt) wrote:

Yes, they gov't thugs in Kuala Lumpur actually arrested a man and
woman for holding hands and charged them with indecency.

Please boycott the evil country of Malaysia. Yes, some Malaysians may
seem nice, but they allow their gov't to do such evil. Malaysia is a
joke.

Well, please don't visit Malaysia. We also do not welcome foreigners
who think we are a joke.

We?
That is up to other Malaysians, not you.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,9356713^29677,00.html

Old April 25th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Thomas Stalder

Hello Peter

Peter Webb wrote:
No, you have discrimanatory laws which do not allow ethnic Chinese and
Indians the same rights as ethnic Malays. All Australians have equal rights
under law, and this is actually followed.

In your dreams ...

We don't have racist police beating up
teenage boys just because they're the wrong colored skin.

No idea what you are talking about.

This has been documented various times.

We don't
have a pro-war gung-ho Prime Minister who basically is butler (oops i
mean sherrif) to good ol George W. , and we certainly don't send our
troops into other people lands to conquer them under a false pretence
of liberation.

Well, you don't actually have much of an army, navy or air-force, and do not
have the military capability to deploy troops to the other side of the
world. You would be basically just "targets".

Hell, you can't even defend yourselves. In WW2 and the communist insurgency
of 1954 you had Australian troops defending your country. Didn't hear you
bleeting on about "sending troops to other people's lands then".

You obviously still are living in these times. Situations have changed.
Where in WW2 also the Americans had proper motives, this has changed
significantly under jerks like Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld (Bush is just their
puppet).

No asylum seekers want to stay in your country. Your GDP per capita is less
than 1/10th that of Australia - its a very poor country. It is also
technologically backward, had racism codified into a set of laws, and your
prime minister feels he can lock up political opponents on trumped up sodomy
charges. The police force is corrupt, and the culture backwards. You are a
big, important country in the minds of all people who live between between
Thailand and Singapore, but let me assure you the rest of the world finds
the sight of such a ****ty little country strutting about the world stage as
if anybody gave a **** about you amusing at best. They don't even bother
showing the video footage of Mahatir getting stuck into the English on
English TV, because to explain the joke you would have to explain wher
Malaysia actually is ...

What an American-like arrogance

nor keep them lock
up for decades only to arrest the truly caring Australians who fight
for their freedom. All of this and you call us evil???

Neither Australians nor Malaysians are evil. Both countries are
absolutely beautiful and people in both countries are great! Traditions
are different and Malaysian rules are very hard for westernes, but we
have to respect these rules, when we are guest of this country.

Again, no idea what you are talking about.

Maybe things like Guantanamo, which again is an American way of
treatening international agreements and law. I don't think this is
possible in Australia tough. Additionally I'd prefer to be thrown into
an Australian prison, than into a Malaysian, that's true.

So the FACTS are that the guy claims he was just holding hands and was
arrested for not paying a bribe, and there is no evidence that anything else
has occurred, and your defence is that "Unlike western countries, we have a
sense of what is acceptable in a public place". Presumably that doesn't
include holding hands. Look, don't get too worried about this. This is just
another one of those "look how stupid and backward the Malaysians are"
stories you see all the time. You surely must be used to them by now.

Neither of you has been there, so what's the point?

Well, I really have nice friends in Australia, so I know that you're not
representative. After reading your exploits about Malaysia, you've
proved yourself an complete ignorant without any sense of decency.

Ciao
Thomas

Old April 25th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
Peter Webb wrote:

No, you have discrimanatory laws which do not allow ethnic Chinese and
Indians the same rights as ethnic Malays. All Australians have equal

rights
under law, and this is actually followed.

These laws have helped close the income gap between the local Malays and
the affluent Chinese community, thereby stabilising the country and
creating more social harmony. But they are indeed not needed anymore

Somewhat hard to believe. Even Mahatir have admitted that the policy have
been a failure. It has probably efficiently reduced domestic investments in
Malaysia.

Old April 25th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Dieter Aaaa

"Thomas Stalder" schreef in bericht
Hello Peter

Peter Webb wrote:
[...]

do you mind if i put you in my KF

I don't like rude, senseless people
bye

Old April 25th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Dieter Aaaa

"Markku Grönroos" schreef in bericht

Peter Webb wrote:

No, you have discrimanatory laws which do not allow ethnic Chinese and
Indians the same rights as ethnic Malays. All Australians have equal

rights
under law, and this is actually followed.

These laws have helped close the income gap between the local Malays and
the affluent Chinese community, thereby stabilising the country and
creating more social harmony. But they are indeed not needed anymore

Somewhat hard to believe. Even Mahatir have admitted that the policy have
been a failure. It has probably efficiently reduced domestic investments

in
Malaysia.

right

and also:

Why does a state have to intervene to "close an income gap" ?
You do not support the economy by cutting the grass

The USSR tried to do that. It appeared to be a disaster

Old April 25th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Dieter Aaaa

"Thomas F. Unke" schreef in bericht
"Dieter Aaaa" Dieter writes:

You have to respect local sensibilities.

any SE Asia country

..or just Malaysia ?

Everywhere in the world. Even in Belgium.

belgium isn't a real country
it's an artificial piece of land with two completely different communities

....with no respect at all for each other