Milan/Venice - where to park to take the train in.......

Old August 19th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Bobby McGee

Default Milan/Venice - where to park to take the train in.......

Our 3 month Europe trip is coming in 2 weeks. We have a car for the
first month and during that time we plan on visiting Milan and Venice
(among 100s of other things of course) and since I have NO INTEREST in
driving into these cities can someone recommend a town on the outskirts
of both where we can park and take the train in?
This would be a huge help cause driving into Italian cities, to be
honest with you, scares the hell out of me. :-)
As usual, Thanks
Montreal Bob

Old August 19th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Mimi

"Bobby McGee" wrote in message
oups.com...
Our 3 month Europe trip is coming in 2 weeks. We have a car for the
first month and during that time we plan on visiting Milan and Venice
(among 100s of other things of course) and since I have NO INTEREST in
driving into these cities can someone recommend a town on the outskirts
of both where we can park and take the train in?
This would be a huge help cause driving into Italian cities, to be
honest with you, scares the hell out of me. :-)

Venice. You can't drive in Venice. There's a large parking garage at the
entrance to Venice, the Tronchetto. It's at the end of the causeway that
leads into Venice. Here's a link to a URL with parking info for
Venice:http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...ing_garage.htm.

By the way, don't leave anything valuable in your parked car.

Marianne

Old August 19th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Rog'

"Mimi" wrote:
You can't drive in Venice.

The streets are flooded. :-)

Old August 19th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Mike

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:12:08 -0400, "Rog'"
wrote:

"Mimi" wrote:
You can't drive in Venice.

The streets are flooded. :-)

Flooded with sewage. :-(

Old August 19th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Bill Steltzer

Give it a rest. Been to Venice many times and have honestly not noticed
"sewage". But I've not been looking for it. Venice is a major city and
it wouldn't surprise me to see something floating. I see litter on the
streets of Philadelphia. If Philadelphia's streets were made of water,
the stuff would be floating. That's why we don't go to Venice to swim.
Enjoy looking at the city and stop looking for sewage. If you look hard
enough you'll likely find some.

Old August 19th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Bobby McGee

Venice. You can't drive in Venice. There's a large parking garage at the
entrance to Venice, the Tronchetto. It's at the end of the causeway that
leads into Venice. Here's a link to a URL with parking info for
Venice:http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...ing_garage.htm.

By the way, don't leave anything valuable in your parked car.

Marianne

Thanks a lot Marianne. Big help.
Is it a relatively calm drive to this Tronchetto?
Thanks again
Bob
PS If there's one piece of advice that everyone agrees on it is to not
leave anything valuable in the car.

Old August 20th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Tom Peel

Bobby McGee wrote:
Our 3 month Europe trip is coming in 2 weeks. We have a car for the
first month and during that time we plan on visiting Milan and Venice
(among 100s of other things of course) and since I have NO INTEREST in
driving into these cities can someone recommend a town on the outskirts
of both where we can park and take the train in?
This would be a huge help cause driving into Italian cities, to be
honest with you, scares the hell out of me. :-)
As usual, Thanks
Montreal Bob

I see nobody mentioned Milan. I recall missing an exit and driving into
a Park&Ride just off the west side of the austrada ring (Tangenziale
Ovest) somehere between the highway from Chiasso and the turnoff for
Genua. Sorry no more details. If you google "milano parcheggio fermata"
you come up with a number of hits for park&ride access to the Metro subway.

T.

Old August 20th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Bob Fusillo

Parking at the Tronchetto can be as expensive as a hotel. Find a place in
Mestre ( not much cheaper but, especially if more than one night, worth it)
and take a bus into town. Note-- the expressway/motorway that runs thru
Mestre/ Marghera is the most accident prone in Italy. Hectic, crowded, and
unpleasant. Ideally one should find a small town outside of the area but on
a train or bus line, and leave the hassle to them.
rjf
news

Venice:http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/..._parking_garag

Old August 29th, 2005, 11:00 PM
ALAN HARRISON

"Bobby McGee" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks a lot Marianne. Big help.
Is it a relatively calm drive to this Tronchetto?

It's a large car park at the end of the causeway leading from the mainland
(at Mestre) to Venice, and therefore as central as you can be if driving to
the city. If you wish to avoid driving there (and paying the parking fees),
alternatives might include stayin in Lido di Jesolo (seaside town) and
commuting by bus or maybe staying in somewhere with decent rail connection
like Padua (Padova in Italian).

For Milan outer suburban park-and-rides might be useful. There's one at the
Famagosta underground station, which also has an interurban bus station -
the idea being that passengers transfer from car or bus to the tube at this
point.

Alan Harrison