Thailand

Old October 23rd, 2003, 01:27 AM
silke h.

Default Thailand

Hi!

We er traveling to Thailand in december og start planing. There are many
questions we are working wiith and one og it is the question about
malariarisk there.
We plan going first to North-Thailand and later to Krabi and Koh Lanta.
We er also thankfull for any tip concern traveling inside Thailand,
accommodation in Bangkok, Chang Mai, Chang Rai, Krabi and Koh Lanta.

Best reguards
--
Silke H.

Old October 27th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Michael Christoffersen

"silke h." wrote in message

Hi!

We er traveling to Thailand in december og start planing. There are many
questions we are working wiith and one og it is the question about
malariarisk there.
We plan going first to North-Thailand and later to Krabi and Koh Lanta.
We er also thankfull for any tip concern traveling inside Thailand,
accommodation in Bangkok, Chang Mai, Chang Rai, Krabi and Koh Lanta.

Hi Silke

Actually you are asking questions any travel guide will be able to answer.
Pick up a copy of the Lonely Planet Guide Book or the Rough Guide to
Thailand or any other for that matter.
When you have done that and if you still have specific questions feel free
to post them here or on rec.travel.asia which receives a lot more traffic
than this NG.
I wouldnt worry one bit about malaria int the bkk, Krabi and Koh Lanta
although I would definitely still recommend you to avoid being bitten as
there is still a risk albeit low of contracting dengue fever. The dengue
fever is transmitted through a day variety of the mosquito.
When it comes to northern thailand, the risk is not nearly as high during
the cool season as during the rainy season. But it will depend very much on
where you go, e.g. on treks etc or if you just stay in the cities of CM and
CR, where it will not pose any threat at all.

Cheers
Michael Christoffersen

Old November 18th, 2003, 03:26 AM
SportChick

In general, once you get into Northern Thailand, the malaria risk becomes
higher. Particularly, as Michael said, if you plan to go into areas outside
the cities.

As for places to stay, we found lots of great places in Thailand, depending
on where you are going. In Bangkok, we particularly liked the River Guest
House. It was quiet, cheap and clean, which you can't say for many places
in Bangkok. It's also within walking distance of Khao Sahn Road, which is
the backpacker area of Bangkok, so you don't miss out on the experience,
yet, you aren't forced to stay up all night due to the noise.

In Chiang Mai, we stayed at a number of places, and there are tons of places
to choose from. You can choose to stay in the old town versus the newer
area. We preferred the old town. The Banana House was nice, but they
really pushed their treks. In fact, if you don't book a trek with them,
beware...they may tell you that they don't have room for you to stay longer
(unless you have reservations in advance). We really liked the Smile House,
but it was by far the most expensive we stayed in. For cheaper budgets, try
the Julie Guesthouse. Be sure not to get a room on the back, though, as it
tends to be a bit loud. Pretty much anywhere you stay will push their treks
if they run them.

In KoLanta, we loved the Lanta Sandy Beach Bungalows. We had a beautiful
little bungalow right on the beach for less than $4.

And, if you get to Pai, which is a great little spot in Northern Thailand,
stay at the Eden Guesthouse. I can't recommend it highly enough.

For other spots we stayed in (or if you just wanna bore yourself with info
on and photos of Thailand), we've got our travelogue posted at
http://www.KirkandDonna.com/ We tried to be diligent about posting the
names of the places we stayed, whether we liked it, the price, etc.

Have a great trip,

Donna
"Michael Christoffersen" wrote in message
. ..