When in the US...

Old June 18th, 2013, 11:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Josef Kleber

Default When in the US...

Am 18.06.2013 11:48, schrieb Martin:
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 11:27:39 +0200, Josef Kleber
wrote:
The last time i was involved in producing Schnaps was in school in
practical chemistry! ;-)

LOL never did anything as exciting in English school chemistry lesson,
other than being present when an experiment caused an explosion.

No explosion. We were once just almost gased!

I once provided a Boots' beer kit to my daughter for a school science
project. It was confiscated AFAIR.

Oh, very puritan. Our teacher even allowed us to taste, after the 'will
it burn' test! ;-)

Josef

Old June 18th, 2013, 03:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Martin wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 22:15:54 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

..

Actually, I've had excellent food on other Elderhostel trips I've taken.
In other countries they included better bread.

That's hardly the fault of France or the French.

The local(French) agency actually running the day-to-day course of the trip
certainly was responsible forit.

So the local French agency provided poor bread. That doesn't mean that
the French don't have good bread.

They wanted us to be so unhappy with France that we'd stay away forever
after???

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old June 18th, 2013, 03:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 14:01:12 +0000 (UTC), Erilar wrote in post :
:

So the local French agency provided poor bread. That doesn't mean that
the French don't have good bread.

They wanted us to be so unhappy with France that we'd stay away forever
after???

Probably.

--
Tim C. Linz, Austria.
Old June 19th, 2013, 03:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 16:19:53 +0200, "Tim C."
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 14:01:12 +0000 (UTC), Erilar wrote in post :
:

So the local French agency provided poor bread. That doesn't mean that
the French don't have good bread.

They wanted us to be so unhappy with France that we'd stay away forever
after???

Probably.

Do you think it was personal?

Inasmuch as I was fairly anonymous in a group of Americans, and there were
some other goodies like downgrading our first accomodations from a hotel on
the beach to a B&B across town from it and the planned activities, I think
it was more likely the nationality. 8-)
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old June 19th, 2013, 04:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

On 6/19/2013 10:29 AM, Martin wrote:

wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 14:01:12 +0000 (UTC), Erilar wrote in post :
:

So the local French agency provided poor bread. That doesn't mean that
the French don't have good bread.

They wanted us to be so unhappy with France that we'd stay away forever
after???

Probably.

Do you think it was personal?

Inasmuch as I was fairly anonymous in a group of Americans, and there were
some other goodies like downgrading our first accomodations from a hotel on
the beach to a B&B across town from it and the planned activities, I think
it was more likely the nationality. 8-)

Your nationality?

They must have been picking on you, because I have always eaten well,
often too well, in France, even in a FF6/night for half board Paris
hostel. I don't recall any French person being rude to me. A customs
official in New York was once very rude to me, despite my diplomatic
visa, but I never considered him as being typical. I've avoided
mentioning American bread.

American sliced bread is generally appalling, I'll agree, but good bread
is made in the US. I'd just mention San Francisco sour dough as
something unobtainable in Europe.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Old June 19th, 2013, 05:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_8_]

wrote:

[...]

I have met people who were on Elderhostel trips several times in the USA and
everyone spoke well of Elderhostel. Presumably they outsource their trips
outside the USA and I do hope that Erilar made a very strong complaint upon
her return to the USA. My visits to France have been far fewer than those of
Martin and, in general, I have found the natives to be polite. Perhaps less
so in Paris, but that is true of almost any Capital City. And over the past
few years I have found a great improvement in the quality of American bread.
But no-one in that Country seems able to make an edible croissant!
--
JohnT

Old June 20th, 2013, 12:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:24:41 +0100, JohnT wrote:
And over the past
few years I have found a great improvement in the quality of American bread.
But no-one in that Country seems able to make an edible croissant!

Not quite true! Several Vietnamese run boulageries in the USA make good
baguettes and croussants. Probaly due to the French influence.
Old June 20th, 2013, 12:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Irwell wrote:

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:24:41 +0100, JohnT wrote:
And over the past
few years I have found a great improvement in the quality of American bread.
But no-one in that Country seems able to make an edible croissant!

Not quite true! Several Vietnamese run boulageries in the USA make good
baguettes and croussants. Probaly due to the French influence.

When I lived in Philadelphia 20 years ago there was a French owned
bakery (standalone, not a chain) arond the block (I lived in Olde City)
which made amazing croissants. Better than most I've hand in France...

(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
"[Do you think the world learned anything from the first
world war?] No. They never learn." -Harry Patch (1898-2009)
Old June 20th, 2013, 04:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

David Horne wrote:
Irwell wrote:

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:24:41 +0100, JohnT wrote:
And over the past
few years I have found a great improvement in the quality of American bread.
But no-one in that Country seems able to make an edible croissant!

Not quite true! Several Vietnamese run boulageries in the USA make good
baguettes and croussants. Probaly due to the French influence.

When I lived in Philadelphia 20 years ago there was a French owned
bakery (standalone, not a chain) arond the block (I lived in Olde City)
which made amazing croissants. Better than most I've hand in France...

Special bakeries can be lovely. For a time when I first came back from
studying in Germany, I taught in a town 40 miles from one with a real
German baker. In North Dakota that means "nearest small city". Every so
often I'd shop down there and load up on bread and books. Freezers can be
so lovely!

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old June 20th, 2013, 04:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

wrote:

[...]

Oh, I told Elderhostel about that program in detail! Except for that trip,
I have always been happy with most aspects of other Elderhostel/Road
Scholar trips I've taken, including most of the food(I don't blame them for
my avoidance of a few items). Unfortunately, I just can't keep up with the
group amy more, and haven't taken one lately.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad