News On Europe

Old September 25th, 2003, 05:22 AM
Jack May

Default News On Europe

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
So what else can you tell us about this phenomonon? I'm all ears.

Obviously he is thinking about 75 MPH Segway type unicycles

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/auto/ar...489828,00.html

With sophisticated electronics vehicles will need only 4 ft on a side of
space on the road. That means at 75 MPH about 300,000 vehicles per hour
per lane vs. the present 2200 with cars.

It will be so efficient that all cars, trains, and busses will obviously
have to be banned from all cities and replaced with high powered Segway
unicycles :-)

Old September 25th, 2003, 05:47 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 9/24/2003 9:22 PM Jack May spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
So what else can you tell us about this phenomonon? I'm all ears.

Obviously he is thinking about 75 MPH Segway type unicycles

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/auto/ar...489828,00.html

With sophisticated electronics vehicles will need only 4 ft on a side of
space on the road. That means at 75 MPH about 300,000 vehicles per hour
per lane vs. the present 2200 with cars.

It will be so efficient that all cars, trains, and busses will obviously
have to be banned from all cities and replaced with high powered Segway
unicycles :-)

No, forget that--it's time to implement the Rolling Roads!

Old farts who used to listen to old radio shows will know what I'm talking
about. ("The Roads Must Roll")

--
It's fun to demonize the neo-cons and rejoice in their discomfiture, but
don't make the mistake of thinking US foreign policy was set by Norman

- Alexander Cockburn, _CounterPunch_
(http://www.counterpunch.org), 9/17/03

Old September 25th, 2003, 06:26 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Miguel Cruz wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:
No, forget that--it's time to implement the Rolling Roads!

Old farts who used to listen to old radio shows will know what I'm talking
about. ("The Roads Must Roll")

I remember reading that story in a scifi anthology when I was a kid in
school. How was it done for radio?

Easier on radio than TV - all they needed were suggestive sound effects,
no visuals. People were more accustomed to using their imaginations, in
those days - they didn't have to have it made visible for them.
(Although that doesn't mean I didn't prefer seeing it all on Star Wars,
Star Trek and Babylon Five, etc.)

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.

Old September 25th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Default Alternative travel? was weird car avoidance

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 9/24/2003 9:22 PM Jack May spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

So what else can you tell us about this phenomonon? I'm all ears.

Obviously he is thinking about 75 MPH Segway type unicycles
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/auto/ar...489828,00.html
With sophisticated electronics vehicles will need only 4 ft on a side of
space on the road. That means at 75 MPH about 300,000 vehicles per hour
per lane vs. the present 2200 with cars.
It will be so efficient that all cars, trains, and busses will obviously
have to be banned from all cities and replaced with high powered Segway
unicycles :-)

No, forget that--it's time to implement the Rolling Roads!

Old farts who used to listen to old radio shows will know what I'm
talking about. ("The Roads Must Roll")

I've forgotten. DO we first need massive solar power or hugh nukes
which threaten to blow up the world if the controllers get a bit weird?

FFM

Old September 25th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Scott Lurndal

David Nebenzahl writes:
On 9/24/2003 9:22 PM Jack May spake thus:

No, forget that--it's time to implement the Rolling Roads!

Old farts who used to listen to old radio shows will know what I'm talking
about. ("The Roads Must Roll")

Robert Anson Heinlein wrote the story 'The Roads Must Roll'. In the 1930's.

Quite interesting, actually. Currently available in his 'Past through Tomorrow'
collection of shorts.

scott
Old September 26th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Silas Warner

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

No, forget that--it's time to implement the Rolling Roads!

Old farts who used to listen to old radio shows will know what I'm
talking about. ("The Roads Must Roll")

I've forgotten. DO we first need massive solar power or hugh nukes
which threaten to blow up the world if the controllers get a bit weird?

In the original story (by Robert Heinlein) the roads used cheap "sunpower
screens" with about 80% efficiency.

Silas Warner
Old September 27th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Silas Warner wrote:
In the original story (by Robert Heinlein) the roads used cheap "sunpower
screens" with about 80% efficiency.
Silas Warner

Thanks Silas. I think I was mixing in a memory from the going to the
moon series where a huge atomic power plant was transferred to orbit.
FFM

Old September 28th, 2003, 05:36 PM
psmith

Miguel Cruz wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:
No, forget that--it's time to implement the Rolling Roads!

Old farts who used to listen to old radio shows will know what I'm

talking
about. ("The Roads Must Roll")

I remember reading that story in a scifi anthology when I was a kid in
school. How was it done for radio?

Easier on radio than TV - all they needed were suggestive sound effects,
no visuals. People were more accustomed to using their imaginations, in
those days - they didn't have to have it made visible for them.
(Although that doesn't mean I didn't prefer seeing it all on Star Wars,
Star Trek and Babylon Five, etc.)

miguel

Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.

He meant: carefree.........