Passport control before Checkin

Old March 17th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Lansbury

Default Passport control before Checkin

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:31:37 -0000, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

But the penniles (and multimillionaire) terriorists seem to have given up on
the airline industry (for now).

and on what do you base that?

The fact they haven't succeeded in penetrating airport security for a
short while or the assumption that as they have attacked other targets
they must have remove air travel from their list. Neither proves they
have given up.

--
Lansbury
Old March 17th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Miss L. Toe

wrote:

But the penniles (and multimillionaire) terriorists seem to have given up

on
the airline industry (for now).

and on what do you base that?

The fact they haven't succeeded in penetrating airport security for a
short while or the assumption that as they have attacked other targets
they must have remove air travel from their list. Neither proves they
have given up.

I did say 'seem' and I did say 'for now'

I just think they see other targets as easier.

Which is no reason to let up on air industry security.

Old March 17th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Steve M

Miss L. Toe wrote:

Thats the way it *should* work, (and always has for me in the USA), but
having tested Ryanair several times, they always demand the booking
reference number (its OK if its written on a scruffy yellow sticky) - next
time I'll try memorising it and see if thats OK. But MRU immigration and CDG
(T2) passport exit control seem to want the printed itenary.

Every time I fly from East Midlands with bmibaby, I have the reference
written down to read to them, but they stop me just as I'm giving it to
them and ask for my surname. Sods law the first time I don't bring it
they'll ask for it!

Cheers,

Steve M

Old March 17th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Roland Perry

In message , mtravelkay
writes
You can't drive a train into a packed skyscraper or packed stadium.

The twin towers had a train station in the basement. Closer to home, St
James's Park is underneath London Underground HQ (which when built was
apparently the tallest office building in London) and the DLR goes
through a building at Canary Wharf. Strangely enough, the Victoria Line
has a kink in it, so that it doesn't go under Buckingham Palace.
--
Roland Perry
Old March 17th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Martin WY

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:08:17 -0000, "resenär"
wrote:

"Martin WY" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:03:12 -0000, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

"Hilary" wrote in message
It also said on the passport/id booth that you needed to show your ID
and
ticket or e-ticket Itenerary - does this mean you can't get away with
just
carrying the booking reference number ? (Ok I know its a good idea to
carry
printouts, but what if you lose them).

Many carriers are now requiring you to carry the e-ticket itinerary. I
have been told that in some airports you need to show the itinerary to

get
through security.

So does this mean that the e-ticket move is nothing more than a move away
from relatively difficult to forge 'tickets' to easy to forge 'tickets' ?

Doesnt it all come down to what the airline has in its computer at
check-in, irrelevant of what bit of paper with numbers on it that a
person might have in their mits?

It should, and has for me. I recently booked a KLM e-ticket HUY-ARN at 9pm
Sunday to travel 10:30am Monday, and printed the e-mail just for my own
reference. They only wanted to see my passport to check in, brought up my
itinerary by name.

Res

As said... whats in their computers.

Old March 23rd, 2004, 03:18 AM
nobody

Regarding the terrorist thing. The train bombings killed 200, the planes
about 3000. You can't drive a train into a packed skyscraper or packed
stadium.

Depends on the train stations. There have been incidents of runaway trains
breaking through stations that are dead ends and going throgh not onlt the
station itself, but also breaking through the other side and going onto the street.

There have also been incidents of trains (mostly freight) going too fast and
derailing into cities. One such indicent in the arly 1980s necessitated the
evacuation of a large part of toronto (Missisauga) after such a train derailed
and dangerous gases got out along with fires.

(note that those were not terrorist issues, but should a terrorist gain
control of a train, it could do a lot of damage).
Old March 23rd, 2004, 03:50 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Very strange. Yesterday I took an AF flight from CDG T2 ot the US and
the checkin was prior to the passport control. You first entered the
terminal, found the appropriate checkin area 14 for my flight and then
the correct line in that area. After checking in we went thru the
passport control and were then released to the gate/duty free area.

Perhaps they are doing something weird for EU travel?

FFM

Miss L. Toe wrote:
I went through CDG T2 yesterday and couldn't find the checkin desks !!

It turned out they were AFTER passport control.
I have been to a few airports where my ticket was checked before I had
access to the building, but none where my ID was also checked. Is this
unique ?

Old March 23rd, 2004, 03:52 AM
Frank F. Matthews

At CDG they hand checked some of the luggage before the checkin. It was
a part of the queue process. FFM

Air wrote:

The message
from "PTRAVEL" contains these words:

In Barcelona a couple of months ago, you needed to show a passport to get to
check-in for American flag carriers, but actual passport control was after
check in. I wonder if this is a new trend?

I recall doing this at LGW a few times back in the early 90's [I think
it was then]. Luggage was also scanned and had a "security passed" label
stuck on it, before one was permitted to join the check-in queue.

Old March 23rd, 2004, 03:55 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Miss L. Toe wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

In message , Martin WY
writes

So does this mean that the e-ticket move is nothing more than a move away
from relatively difficult to forge 'tickets' to easy to forge 'tickets'

Doesnt it all come down to what the airline has in its computer at
check-in, irrelevant of what bit of paper with numbers on it that a
person might have in their mits?

I think you are missing the point. It's not about the airline knowing
you are the genuine paid-up passenger for that seat (after all they can
eject you right up to departure if it turns out you are an imposter),
but stopping penniless terrorists from being able to enter parts of the
airport. All they need do is buy a ticket to somewhere, and instant
access!

But the penniles (and multimillionaire) terriorists seem to have given up on
the airline industry (for now). They may return to it once we have to take
our shoes off to get on a bus, or train.

Strangely enough they didn't bother with my sandals either to or from
europe on this trip. FFM

Old March 23rd, 2004, 03:57 AM
Frank F. Matthews

mtravelkay wrote:

Miss L. Toe wrote:

But the penniles (and multimillionaire) terriorists seem to have given
up on
the airline industry (for now). They may return to it once we have to
take
our shoes off to get on a bus, or train.

Air travel is increasing.

Regarding the terrorist thing. The train bombings killed 200, the planes
about 3000. You can't drive a train into a packed skyscraper or packed
stadium.

As I remember the French managed to drive a train into a skyscraper by
accident a few years ago. FFM