Krabi - Sensible Help Please

Old December 29th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Stephen

Default Krabi - Sensible Help Please

Im fully aware where the Andaman Coast is and can see the pictures on TV.

However, I have a nine night visit to Krabi booked for the middle of March
and need to decide if to go somewhere else instead.

The Krabi Post http://www.krabipost.com/ suggests that Krabi is relatively
undamaged.

So my questions a
Is the Krabi Post playing down the damage in Krabi?
Was the town saved by the wall or is there extensive damage.
What are the surrounding beaches like
How badly damaged were the restaurants and hotels.
What is Raylee Beach like.

Of course I could just go some where else but my young daughter liked Krabi.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who actually knows!

Stephen - London

Old December 29th, 2004, 08:48 PM
six-toes

Wednesday, December 29, 2004
1,536 died in tidal waves

PHUKET: Figures released this morning by the emergency center at Phuket
Provincial Hall list 1,536 people dead, 8,953 injured and 4,073 missing
in the six southern provinces affected by Sunday's tsunami waves.

Among the dead are 187 foreigners, 1,175 Thais and 174 people whose
nationalities remain unknown.

The breakdown of the figures is as follows:

Phuket: 233 dead; 1,268 injured; 1,580 reported missing.

(Deaths: Kathu District 185; Thalang 30; Muang 18.)

Phang Nga: 952 dead; 5,541 injured; 1,377 reported missing.

Krabi: 198 dead, 1,881 injured; 1,018 reported missing.

Ranong: 142 dead; 182 injured; 97 reported missing.

Trang: 5 dead; 66 injured; 0 reported missing people.

Satun: 6 dead; 15 injured; 1 reported missing.

Public Health officials from surrounding provinces have arrived to
assist official

Old December 29th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Undrende

http://www.sawadee.com/tsunami/hotels.htm

Old December 30th, 2004, 04:18 PM
ash

I think it's absolutely essential that you go. Now more than ever the locals
will need tourists to go and spend their money.
Krabi has been badly hit but will clean up fairly quickly. Patong beach in
Phuket was very badly hit but already they are getting their bars etc open
for business. A lot of hard work and the resilience of the people has made
this possible.
To stay away would only make a bad situation a lot worse.

"six-toes" wrote in message
ups.com...
i should think it will be sorted by mid march , but theres the
possibility of diseases to consider -
the town is prolly ok but i suspect that hotels outside town which are
right on the beach will have been destroyed , like everywhere else .
check with the soc.culture.thai newsgroup . better info there

Old December 30th, 2004, 08:08 PM
six-toes

Ministry warns of disease risk in disaster zone

BANGKOK, Dec 30 (TNA) - The Ministry of Public Health yesterday issued
a disease warning for Thailand's six southern provinces hit by Sunday's
tsunamis, warning that poor sanitation could lead to an explosion of
diseases including diarrhoea and respiratory disease.

According to the ministry's warning, people in the affected areas,
inclduing Phuket, Phang-nga, Krabi, Trang, Ranong and Satun, could be
at risk from a litany of diseases including diarrhoea, cholera,
dysentery, typhoid, food poisoning, hepatitis, colds, laryngitis,
bronchitis, athlete's foot, leptospirosis, conjunctivitis, malaria,
dengue fever, meningitis and elephantiasis, as well as bites from
snakes and scorpions.

The ministry urged people living in the affected areas to avoid wading
through mud and water in bare feet, eat only well cooked food, wash
hands prior to eating, drink only clean water, use toilets where
necessary, use mosquito nets while sleeping and seek immediate medical
advice should symptoms occur. (TNA)--E006

Old December 30th, 2004, 09:25 PM

Here is an update from Tourism Authority of Thailand

Update on Situation in the affected areas: As at 29 Dec 6.00pm

Current Thailand Resorts that are not open for business till further
notice

Horizon Beach Resort is closed until further notice. We are not able to
accept any arrivals from now on until further notice.
Impiana Phuket Cabana is closed until further notice. We are not able
to accept any arrivals from now on until further notice.
Merlin Beach Resort is closed until further notice. We are not able to
accept any arrivals from now on until further notice. (Estimate time 6
months)
Patong Merlin Beach Resort is closed until further notice. We are not
able to accept any arrivals from now on until further notice. (Estimate
time 6 months)
Merlin Beach Khoa Lak Resort is closed until further notice. We are not
able to accept any arrivals from now on until further notice. (Estimate
time 6 months)
Avantika - Closed until further notice. We are not able to accept any
arrivals from now on until further notice.
Burasari Resort - Closed until further notice. We are not able to
accept any arrivals from now on until further notice.
Dusit Laguna Resort - Closed until 02 Jan 05- Cancellation fees
apply for arrivals after 02 Jan 05
Karon Beach Resort - is closed until further notice. We are not able to
accept any arrivals from now on until further notice.
Patong Beach Hotel is closed until further notice. We are not able to
accept any arrivals from now on until further notice.
Holiday Inn Phuket is closed until further notice. We are not able to
accept any arrivals from now on until further notice.
Amari Coral Beach is closed until further notice. We are not able to
accept any arrivals from now on until further notice.
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Due to the floods and damage, the hotel will be completely closed in
operation with immediate effect until 31 December 2004. We are not able
to accept any arrivals from now on until further notice.
Cancellation fees will be waived for all bookings that check in from
today through to the 15 th of January, 2005.
Le Meridien Khao Lak Beach and Spa Resort, Phang Nga
Due to the floods and damage, the hotel will be completely closed in
operation with immediate effect until 03 January 2005. We are not able
to accept any arrivals from now on until further notice. Cancellation
details from today, Cancellation fees will be waived for all bookings
that check in from today through to the 15 th of January, 2005.
Golden Beach Resort Krabi - Non contact at present - assume closed
- still to be advise on clients and staff
Rayavadee Resort - is closed until further notice. We are not able to
accept any arrivals from now on until further notice.
Sofitel Magic Resort Khoa Lak - is closed until further notice. We are
not able to accept any arrivals from now on until further notice.

All resorts on Phi Phi Island, Khoa Lak and Koh Yao Noi have been
destroyed.

Patong/Phuket Hotels open and operational (normal cancellation fees
apply)

Club Andaman - Club Andaman has luckily survived from such terrific
incident left with some small damages on our cottages and beachfront
pool surroundings only but no flooding.
Andaman Beach Suites never been even single hit by the dreadful waves,
only small damages only tennis courts. Please be assured of all
bookings for the room. It's working normally.
Diamond Cliff Resort - open and operational
Thavorn Beach Village Phuket - Minor damage - all clients fine and
hotel operational.

Laguna Beach Area
Rydges Beach Resort is fine all guests fine and business is as usual,
they will continue to take guests as they arrive from Patong as well as
those booked and confirmed.
Amanpuri Resort - Minor Damage - Operational
Allamanda Suites practically unscathed, except for damage to the beach
- Fully Operational.
JW Marriott - Minor Damage - Operational
Sheraton Grand Laguna is fine all guests fine and business is as usual,
they will continue to take guests as they arrive from Patong as well as
those booked and confirmed.
Cancellation Policy - Sheraton Laguna Phuket
Early Departures - 100% cancellation fee
Cancellations - 100% cancellation fee
Postponements - Should the booking be reinstated in January, there will
be no cancellation fee however there also be no rebates. Same room
rate will apply.
Laguna Beach Resort since yesterday's tidal wave, Everything is back to
normal and we are operating as usual. All F&B outlets in action we are
doing our best we can for our in-house guests and those due to arrive.
Whilst the swimming pool will take couple of days to be functional,
however, the beach is cleared and cleaned up.
Banyan Tree is fully functional and all guests fine practically
unscathed, except for damage to the small cafe (Sands) we have by the
beach.

Karon /Kata Area
Kata Beach Resort - Swimming Pool closed - Resort operational
Kata Thani Beach Resort - Swimming Pool closed - Resort operational
Thavorn Palm Beach Resort - small damage on ground floor closed
temporarily, all guests OK. No comment on cancellation fees at this
time
Karona Tropical Resort - Fully operational
Central Karon - Fully operational
Felix Karon - Fully operational

Outlying Areas
Chedi Phuket - Beachfront Bungalows destroyed, and restaurant damage.
Resort operational
Cape Panwa - Fully operational no damage
Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa, located on the West Coast of
Thailand, has sustained no damage from the earthquake and tidal wave.
Resort is fully operational with rooms still available.
The entire resort is open to guests with the exception of one of the
three swimming pools.
Evason Phuket Beach Resort - Damage to dive school and jetty and
slight impact on Bon Island. All resorts rooms and areas functional and
resort is taking in other clients from other effected areas as well as
confirmed bookings
Le Royal Meridien Phuket Yacht Club
The hotel has reported only a minor damage and it will be fully
operational as usual. We are still expecting arrivals with confirmed
bookings in the coming days. Normal Cancellation fees apply

Phuket Airport was reopened last evening(27 Dec 04) at 5 pm and flights
are now operating as per normal schedules.

Krabi (updated 29 Dec 6pm)

Krabi International airport is also operating as normal.
Ao Nang Beach Area
Phra Nang Inn Resort - Restaurant flooded and small structure damage
- Hotel operational . Cancellation fees subject to case by case basis
Krabi Thai Village Resort - Fully operational - all cancellation
fees as per normal
Maritime Park Resort - Fully operational - all cancellation fees as
per normal
Pavilion Queen's Bay - Fully operations - all cancellation fees
as per normal
Pakasia Beach Resort - Fully operational - all cancellation fees as
per normal

Outlying Areas of Krabi
Andaman Holidays Resort - Beach front full of debris, Resort
operational, guests and staff fine
Sheraton Krabi Resort - Fully operational - all cancellation fees
as per normal
Pimalai Bay Resort and Spa - Beachfront Bungalows and Restaurant
damaged - Hotel guests fine and staying, some staff missing -
Cancellation fees as per normal
Krabi National Park Success Resort - Fully operational - normal
cancellation fees apply

Areas of Thailand NOT EFFECTED : NORMAL CANCELLATION FEES APPLY TO
THESE AREAS
(updated 28 Dec 04 - 4pm)
Trang: Passed Krabi and Phuket : Amari Trang was not affected and is
fully operational.
Bangkok is not affected. It is business as usual. Flights into and out
of Bangkok are operating as per normal schedules. The people staying in
Bangkok are completely safe and were never in any danger.
Pattaya being in the Gulf of Thailand was fortunately, spared the tidal
waves. Can move people to this seaside town if they wish to relocate
their holiday. Business up and running normally
Hua Hin, the seaside resorts of Gulf of Thailand were also spared and
can move people to this seaside town if they wish to relocate their
holiday.All resorts operational
Samui Island being the Gulf of Thailand was spared. A lot of bookings
from Phuket have moved to Samui so situation is tight and may wish to
recommend above areas first. Samui flights from Bangkok operating
normally. Santi Buri Resort has rooms should you need to relocate
people. Imperial Samui and Imperail Boathouse are also ready, if
possible, to accommodate your valuable clients.
Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai are totally unaffected and can relocate people to
this mountain holiday instead.

Maldives (Updated 29 Dec 04 - 5.00pm)
Male Airport - Male airport reopened last night (27 Dec 04) and a few
flights have departed since then.

Trans Maldivian Airways (seaplane to Coco / Royal and Soneva Fushi )
have resume their flights and smoothly run their daily transfers.
Maldive Airlines (seaplane to Sun, Hilton , Rihiveli) have resumed
their flights and smoothly run daily transfers.

Resort Closed Until Further Notice :
Lohifushi - Closed due to structural damage and restaurants. Until
further notice
Fun Island Resort- Closed - all guests and staff accounted for :
Still awaiting advice on cancellation fees Unfortunately Fun Island
suffered severe structural damage as a result of the flooding. All
current guests have been evacuated and transferred to Sun Island
Resort & Spa & Holiday Island for the remainder of their holiday., as
well all existing bookings for Fun Island will be transferred to Sun
Island Resort and Spa at no additional cost. Transferred bookings will
be on the same meal plan and transfer basis. All bookings will be
accommodated in deluxe beach bungalows.
Soneva Gili Resort and Six Senses Spa - closed and all guests and
staff accounted
All guests have been relocated to uneffected neighbouring islands.
Resort is closed until 1st Feb 05
pending future information. Cancellation fees waivered.
Cancellation Policy
Soneva Gili, since the resort is closed we are naturally not charging
any cancellation fees while we are refusing guests, if they would like
to seek alternative accommodation at Soneva Fushi we are happy to try
to accommodate them. Additionally we will offer any guests who we were
not able to accommodate at Soneva Gili a free stay to match the length
of their stay previously booked upto a maximum of one week. For further
details please contact Harsh Roopchand at for
further details.

Four Seasons Kuda Huraa Resort - closed
All staff and guests fine but resort will be closed until further
notice - cancellation fees will assessed on case by case basis
Taj Exotica Resort and Spa - closed
Due to many facilities out of operations the resort will be closed
indefinantly for period of 2 months.All current guests and staff
accounted for and being removed back to Singapore or alternate
areas.Cancellation details will be assessed on case by case basis.

Maldives Resorts Open and Operational - (NORMAL CANCELLATION FEES
APPLY)

Thulhigiri Resort
Fully operational and receiving guests, speedboat transfers working and
all resort staff oin deck.
Normal cancellation fees apply.

Kurumba Resort and Spa
Fully operational - minor pool damage but receiving guests and staff
fine.
Normal cancellation fees apply.

Banyan Tree Resort Vabinffarru and Angsana Resort and Spa
At the moment, the situation is stable. They continue to receive guests
arriving on speedboat and we confirmed that there have been no casualty
reported at the resort.
There is a surge in sea water causing some flooding at reception of
Banyan
Tree and some villas of Angsana.
Banyan Tree jetty damaged but was repaired by yesterday.
Clean up of flooded areas completed. All areas operational, hotels have
guests in house and they are ready to receive guests

Soneva Fushi Resort and Six Senses Spa
Six Villas were effected with limited damage and will be closed and
repaired and operational as at 30 Dec 04. Rest of resort is operational
and all restaurants. No guests or staff were injured and all accounted
for.
Resort welcoming new guests and running normal operations.
Cancellation Fees : Soneva Fushi, For any guests wishing to cancel
their booking with arrival dates up to and including January 31st 2005
we will not charge any cancellation fee. After which our standard
cancellations fee will apply.

Taj Coral Reef Resort and Spa
This resort are fully operational and bookings and guests accepted as
normal.

Coco Palm Resort and Spa
This resort are fully operational and bookings and guests accepted as
normal.

Makundu Island Resort
This resort are fully operational and bookings and guests accepted as
normal.

Sun Island Resort & Spa/ Holiday Island Resort/Royal Island Resort &
Spa
These resorts are fully operational. Bookings are being accepted as
normal.

Paradise Island Resort & Spa
Paradise is currently fully operational although minimal damage has
been caused to the water bungalow jetty. As a result all confirmed
water bungalow bookings to date will be amended and re-booked to
Paradise beach bungalows or Sun Island Water bungalows subject to
availability, please contact Paradise Island reservations dept for full
details.

Hilton Maldive Resort and Spa - fine no major effects and all services
and rooms operations and clients behaving normally

This is the only communication I have from Maldives and all landlines
and mobiles seem to be out at moment, Still awaiting advice on Hulhule
Island Airport hotel, Meeru Island, Hufaven Fushi Resort and Spa and
Dhoni Migili Resort and Spa

Sri Lanka (updated 29 Dec 04 - 5.00pm)

We wish to inform you that all the hotels in Colombo and on the Round
trip circuit are functioning as normal. Furthermore quite a number of
Beach hotels from Marawila up to Bentota are also functioning.

Colombo Airport
The Colombo aiport is functioning as normal and all flights are
operating on schedule. The road network is functioning as
normal except from Ahungalla to Tissamaharama. This stretch is now
been cleared.

Sri Lanka Hotels Closed until Further Notice - Cancellation Fees will
based on a case by case basis.
Triton Hotel, Ahungalla - Closed - The date of opening is not fixed.
Neptune Hotel, Beruwela Closed - The date of opening is not fixed.
Royal Palms Hotel, Kalutara- Closed - The date of opening is not
fixed
Tangarine Hotel, Kalutara - Closed The date of opening is not fixed
Kani Resort & Spa Hotel - Closed and no decision has been made to open
Riverina Hotel, Beruwela and Edne Hotel Beruwela - Closed and no
decision on opening is not fixed
Palm Garden Hotel, Beruwela Closed and opening to be advised soon
Confifi Hotel, Beruwela - Closed and opening to be advised soon
Serendib Hotel, Bentota - Closed and The date of the commencement of
the operation not known.
Aida Ayurveda, Bentota - Closed - Will notify tomorrow.
Coral Gardens Hotel, Hikkaduwa - Closed until further notice.
Koggala Beach Hotel, Koggala - Closed - Will notify tomorrow.
Kosgoda Beach Resort, Kosgoda - Closed until further notice.

Sri Lanka Hotels Operational and Normal Cancellation Fees apply.

Golden Sun Resort, Kalutara - Except Cabanas, the main building rooms
are
in operation.
Brown Beach Hotel, Negombo - Will operate 50 rooms from today.
Hotel Blue Waters, Wadduwa - Will operate 84 rooms from today.
Lighthouse Hotel, Galle - The hotel is in operation.
Blue Oceanic Hotel, Negombo - The hotel is in operation.
The Beach, Negombo - The hotel is in operation.
Ayurveda Pavillion, Negombo - The hotel is in operation.
Sea Shells Hotel, Negombo - The Hotel is in operation.
Taj Exotica Hotel, Bentota - 140 rooms in operation.
Saman Villas Hotel, Induruwa - Hotel in operation.
Hotel Mermaid , Kalutara - The hotel is in operation.
Mount Lavinia Hotel, Mt. Lavinia - Hotel in operation.
Bentota Beach Hotel, Bentota - The Hotel is in operation other than
the
swimming pool.
Siddhalepa Resort, Kalutara - The resort is in operation.
Induruwa Beach Resort, Induruwa - The Hotel is in operation.
Villa Ocean view, Wadduwa - The Superior rooms are in operation
The Privilege, Wadduwa - The Hotel is in operation.
Lanka Princess, Beruwela - The Hotel is in operation.
Closenberg Hotel, Galle - The Hotel is in operation.
Villa 432, Bentota - The Hotel is in operation.
Club Dolphin, Waikkal - The Hotel is in operation.
Club Palm Bay - The Hotel is in operation.
Sun Flower Hotel, Negombo - The Hotel is in operation.
Olenka Hotel, Marawila - The Hotel is in operation.

Most of the above mentioned hotels are servicing clients who
remained in
the Hotels and also new arrivals.

Malaysia
All areas of Malaysia are fine, All hotels have small damage and
therefore normal cancellation fees apply. Details below:

Pangkor Island - Off Kuala Lumpur
The ferry schedule operates as usual on departures and arrivals to/from
the resort and the Lumut Jetty is fine. Domestic Airport is operational
as well. We are very pleased to inform that Pangkor Island, Malaysia,
was not affected by the tidal waves at all. Pangkor is a sheltered
island sandwiched between Sumatra & the peninsular of Malaysia, hence
all tsunami & earth movements have all been absorbed by the land mass
of Sumatra. It never arrived Pangkor.

Kuala Lumpur - Up and running and flights arriving and departing as
normal schedules

Penang
Hotels in Penang, along Ferringhi Beach have some water damage in
gardens and pools but no room or major resort structural damage has
been reported as yet and all resorts are checking clients are accounted
for. Contact to Penang is completely up and running in all areas now.
Golden Sands Penang has rooms should people wish to relocate and all
facilitites are up and running, also Grand Plaza Parkroyal as well
Bayview Beach Resort. All services and facilities are available to our
guests and we continue to look forward in welcoming our mutual clients
for a safe and sound stay at our hotel.

Langkawi (updated 29 Dec 4.30pm)

The affected beaches in Langkawi are Pantai Cenang & Pantai Kok.
Hotels/Resorts not affected = Tanjung Rhu, Sheraton Perdana, Datai,
Andaman, Fourseasons
& Casa Del Mar. Holiday Villa & Federal Villa is back in action again.
Their beach & garden has been cleaned up. Pelangi Beach is cleaning up
the private beach stretch & first row of sea facing chalets residents
are evacuated to inner rows for safety reasons at no extra costs. The
rest of the property is not affected. Berjaya Beach & Spa - main
swimming pool is closed. Guests are advised to use the spa pool which
is at a higher location. The rest of the property is not affected.

Star Cruise (updated 29 Dec 4.30pm)
SuperStar Virgo departed on Sunday and has amended its current Straits
of Malacca cruise to visit Langkawi instead of Phuket on Tuesday and it
visited Penang today - the cruise will continue to operate next weekend
as well . All passengers on the cruise that departed 26th Dec have also
been extended a SGD$100 dining credit per cabin as a gesture of
goodwill.

Star Cruise has now advised that the change to itinerary will be in
operations until 30 Jun 04 or further notice. Clients not wishing to
cruise may readjust their cruise date to an aleternate date and use
their payment as credit towards the new cruise. Should they wish to
cancel normal fees will apply.
Clients have until - 19 Jan 05 to make changes to cruise bookings.

As more information is given updates will continue to come through for
your information

Update from TAT in Sydney for your information as AT 12 Noon 29 Dec 04

Tourism Authority of Thailand Australian office wishes to express our
deepest regret at the sorrow, loss and devastation currently being
experienced in Thailand. We hope that all of your family, friends,
colleagues and clients are safe and well. It is a very distressing
time for us all, having formed acquaintances and friendships throughout
the country.

Our TAT colleagues in Bangkok, Phuket, Krabi and Khao Lak are working
around the clock and have formed support units to assist the situation
as best they can. Staff are stationed at Phuket International Airport
and free flights have been arranged for tourist to be flown to Bangkok,
where they are being accommodated, awaiting renewal of their travel and
identification documents before they can return home. Medical
assistance is being offered at no charge at Bumrungrad and Bangkok
hospitals.

At this stage, we are advising people not to travel to Phuket within
the next week, until further information is gained about the state of
disease and the availability of water and food.

We are redirecting all bookings from Khao Lak and Phi Phi to other
places, mainly Koh Samui, Hua Hin, Pattaya and even suggesting Koh
Chang. We have just had word that Krabi mainland is ready to receive
guests again. Water and food is available and the resorts were not
badly damaged. Koh Lanta and Phi Phi are not included. Koh Racha is
not operational.

We are currently contacting the Ambassador for Thailand in Australia in
the hope that she will try to speak to DFAT about their blanket warning
on the south of Thailand. We will point out that the UK warning
mentions specific areas that have been affected and that all travellers
are simply directed to seek further advice about the specific resort /
area they are planning to travel to. We hope that the Australian
warning will be modified in a similar way.

Best wishes,
Khun Sugree, Melanie and the team at TAT
More news is on
http://www.tatnews.org