NCL to also use Brooklyn Piers?

Old April 27th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Tom K

Default NCL to also use Brooklyn Piers?

Ken G. sent me a worldshipny website that says that NCL will also use the
Brooklyn piers, per Ted Scull. Not sure if anyone's discussed that before
or not. The website shows the port area in an old (1967) photo.

http://www.worldshipny.com/bklyntermtext.html

FWIW... I've been thinking about the discussion we had about the Manhattan
terminals, and how poorly they're run.

I was wondering... what makes us think that the terminals in Brooklyn will
be run any better... if it's managed by the same people who manage the
Manhattan terminals? I'm assuming that it will still be under the control
of the NY/NJ Port Authority.

--Tom

Old April 28th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Tom K wrote:
Ken G. sent me a worldshipny website that says that NCL will also use the
Brooklyn piers, per Ted Scull. Not sure if anyone's discussed that before
or not. The website shows the port area in an old (1967) photo.

Haven't heard anything about NCL using the Brooklyn piers.

FWIW... I've been thinking about the discussion we had about the Manhattan
terminals, and how poorly they're run.

I was wondering... what makes us think that the terminals in Brooklyn will
be run any better... if it's managed by the same people who manage the
Manhattan terminals? I'm assuming that it will still be under the control
of the NY/NJ Port Authority.

One big improvement over the Manhattan terminals, is that the facility
will be brand new. Only time will tell how well it is laid out and
managed.

sue
Old April 28th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Tom K

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message

Tom K wrote:
Ken G. sent me a worldshipny website that says that NCL will also use the
Brooklyn piers, per Ted Scull. Not sure if anyone's discussed that
before or not. The website shows the port area in an old (1967) photo.

Haven't heard anything about NCL using the Brooklyn piers.

I hadn't either but that's what the website says.

--Tom

Old April 28th, 2005, 03:59 AM

The Carnival Corp. ships include Cunard and
-perhaps Princess and others but I have not heard a break down of
-Carnival Corp. brands beyond Cunard. NCL will have two ships based in
-New York, though I do not know if both are year-round.

The latest scheduling for Holland America (Carnival brand) shows the new
Noordam sailing from NYC to the Caribbean beginning in Feb. 2006 for a few
weeks. Then it goes somewhere else...Europe for the summer, maybe. (old guy
memory)

Old April 28th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Gregory C. Read

We've sailed 5 times from Manhattan and could deal with the terminals and
service inside. But the traffic outside is truly ridiculous. Especially
last time when we were dropped off by a personal vehicle on the upper level
rather than a limousine or bus on the lower level as on previous cruises.
It's just a mad house arriving or leaving the terminals.

--
Greg
lid

Old April 28th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Warren

So if all the major players have "left the building" hardly any ships
will be docking at the NYPST.

I hope there's a plan for a Taxi bullpen and other transit at Red Hook.
Transportation from the NYPST is a nightmare unless you know enough to
walk a couple blocks.

Warren

Old April 29th, 2005, 12:36 AM
Old Sarge

"Tom K" wrote in message
Ken G. sent me a worldshipny website that says that NCL will also use the
Brooklyn piers, per Ted Scull. Not sure if anyone's discussed that before
or not. The website shows the port area in an old (1967) photo.

http://www.worldshipny.com/bklyntermtext.html

FWIW... I've been thinking about the discussion we had about the Manhattan
terminals, and how poorly they're run.

I was wondering... what makes us think that the terminals in Brooklyn will
be run any better... if it's managed by the same people who manage the
Manhattan terminals? I'm assuming that it will still be under the control
of the NY/NJ Port Authority.

--Tom

Kinda looks like the old military piers used in the 50's and 60's at the
Brooklyn Navy Yard.