Hotel Mexico City

Old December 19th, 2003, 07:12 AM
= =

Default Hotel Mexico City

Does anyone have personal experience with the Holiday Inn Main Square
Zocalo in Mexico City? It was my understanding that the Zona Rosa was
preferable to the Zocalo but after doing a little research I'm not so
convinced. If anyone has opinions of this hotel and of the Zocalo area,
I'd be very grateful if you would share them with me. Thank you

hbluu

Old December 19th, 2003, 03:20 PM
Richard Ferguson

The Zocalo is convenient, lots going on, museums and other things to
see. Whether you stay there or not, have a meal on the rooftop
restaurant at the Hotel Majestic, you might check out their price, a
nice place to stay if the price is not bad. I sometimes stay in the
Hotel Canada, small rooms, half a block off the zocolo, very
professionally run, a semi-budget spot.

Hard to say about crime in the Zona Rosa vs. the Zocolo. I don't think
that any part of Mexico City is safe. More info below.

Richard

MEXICO CITY TAXI ROBBERIES

For tourists, perhaps the most serious crime problem in Mexico is taxi
robbery in Mexico City. This problem is more or less unique to Mexico
City, so many tourists are not aware of the problem. The governments
of the US, UK, Canada, France and Australia warn travelers of taxi
robberies. I have also read several first person accounts of taxi
robberies, via the internet and in the media. Taxi robberies in
Mexico City have been covered in US and Mexico media, both TV and
newspapers. Basically, anybody who knows Mexico knows that taxi
robberies are a problem in Mexico City, and takes certain precautions
to prevent themselves becoming a victim. The exact recommendations may
vary, but it is unwise to ignore the problem and pretend that "It
can't happen to me."

A taxi robbery generally works something like this: The victim or
victims get into a taxi, usually a green VW beetle taxi. After a few
blocks, the taxi stops, and one or two armed men enter the taxi and
rob the victim. In many cases, the victim is held for hours while the
robbers use the victim's ATM card to get more money. This is
sometimes called a "fast food" kidnapping. In a few cases, the victim
is held overnight to allow withdrawing more money the next day. The
taxi driver is part of the gang, and may have stolen the taxi. In
some cases, a waiter or hotel employee may also be part of the gang.

In one article that I read, the robbers found out that they were
robbing a reporter. While he was being held at gunpoint on the floor
of the taxi, they told him not to write anything bad about Mexico! An
American resident of Mexico City was killed in a daylight taxi robbery
in December 1997. An American reporter was shot in a taxi robbery
April 20, 1998. The personal accounts that I have read indicate that
a taxi robbery, even if you are unhurt, is a very traumatic
experience.

So, what can you do to protect yourself from taxi robberies? Use the
official sitio taxis at the airport and bus stations. Buy a ticket at
the window, and take that ticket to the official taxi stand. If there
is no taxi stand (sitio) where you are, call a radio taxi. Get the
taxi number so you get into the correct taxi. According to an article
about taxi robbery in the November 1998 issue of US/Mexico Business,
radio taxis have become so popular that it is difficult to get a radio
taxi after dark on a weekend. Generally, the roving taxis are the
problem, not the ones that work from official taxi stands, which
should have a supervisor with a clipboard logging taxi departures.

I was in Mexico City in January 2002, and I was very satisfied with
the radio taxi company "Radio Servicios Moviles de Transporte", and
got their card, which showed numbers 5771-4012, 5771-0130, 5760-4696
and 5551-7710. One of the taxi drivers told me that the company was
founded more than 30 years ago, partly at the instigation of the then
US ambassador, because American visitors were being robbed in those
days also. If you call yourself, you will need to give your location
and what you are wearing. I am not sure if their dispatchers speak
much English, I did not put them to the test. They will give you the
color of the taxi and it's unit number. One time they asked me to
move to the other side of the street to simplify a pickup, I did, and
the taxi was there in five minutes. These taxis are not marked.

There are many other radio taxi services. The US government suggests
the following phone numbers. 5271-9146, 5271-9058, and 5272-6125.
You can ask your hotel for a recommendation.

The Canadian government in their March 1998 advisory said that you
should leave your credit cards and ATM cards in the hotel safe, to
minimize the risk that you will be held prisoner while the robbers use
your cards. (The current warning is worded more mildly). The current
Australian government also advises you to leave your credit cards in
the hotel safe. Only carry the cash that you will need that day. Some
people, including the French government, say you should carry 20 or 30
dollars US, to prevent a robber from becoming angry with too small an
amount. Consider using your ATM cards only at ATM machines inside a
bank or other commercial facility during regular banking hours, as
recommended by the US government. Even the Mexican government
recommends that you not carry your ATM card with you unless you plan
to use it.

If you are robbed, comply and hand over your valuables immediately.
This will greatly reduce the risk of violence. Don't look the
criminal in the eye. Your life is worth much more than your
camera or your credit cards.

Other types of public transportation are also targets of crime.
The buses are robbed often enough that the government has listed
the bus routes and times that are most frequently robbed, and
gives specific instructions about what to do if the bus is robbed.
The metro (subway) also is subject to crime, both pickpockets and
robbers.

Official statistics show that crime in Mexico has doubled since the
start of the economic crisis in 1994. However, I should note that
victim surveys and many government crime statistics indicate that
crime rates in Mexico City are similar to or lower than rates in urban
areas in the US. In private correspondence with a university
professor working in statistics, I have been told that Mexican crime
statisics are a little primitive, and are not really worthy of
confidence. I have seen few crime statistics for visitors and
tourists, just overall statisics or surveys of residents. There
is some information to indicate that crime in Mexico is more
likely to include violence or threats of violence than in the USA.

In a brief visit to Mexico City in July 1999, my friend Miguel, a
lifelong resident of Mexico City, said that he felt that the crime
situation was exaggerated. When I was with him, I did get into a
couple of roving taxis, somewhat against my better judgement. I still
feel that roving taxis should be avoided, and I did avoid them for the
rest of our time in Mexico City. I also carefully reviewed the ID for
the driver before I got into a tourist taxi outside a museum. We did
see one noteworthy thing on that trip, relating to the police. There
was a police car, running red lights and siren, so overstuffed with
police officers that neither of the rear doors could close. It looked
a lot more like the Keystone cops than a professional police force. Of
course, the Mexican police are often critized for being ineffective
and corrupt.

Should you go to Mexico City? Of course, the decision is yours. There
are lots of things to do in the largest city in the world, but it is
not a place to relax and let down your guard. Mexico is a big country,
and most areas of Mexico are much safer than Mexico City. If you do
decide to go to Mexico City, read the various government travel
advisories before you arrive, and practice security while you are
there.

Richard Ferguson
August 3, 2003

There are several web sites with security information for travelers
and tourists. The ones that I am aware of are listed below. I urge
people to review the information on these web sites, compare the
recommendations of the various countries to each other, and compare
the various government recommendations to any personal opinions
expressed on the internet. The government web sites include security
and other travel information for virtually all the countries in the
world, including each other.

USA - http://travel.state.gov/travel_warnings.html

UK - http://193.114.50.10/travel/default.asp

Canada - http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/graphic...os/cntry_e.htm

Australia -http://www.dfat.gov.au/consular/advice/advices_mnu.html

The French government has a web site with security information, in
French. http://www.diplomatie.fr/voyageurs/e...avis/conseils/

The following web sites offer personal views on security.

Mexico Mike gives his views about security in Mexico at
www.mexicomike.com

Old December 24th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Joe Clancy

MiguelB wrote in message . ..
On 22 Dec 2003 10:14:56 -0800, (Joe Clancy) wrote:

MiguelB wrote in message . ..
On 20 Dec 2003 06:43:56 -0800,
(Joe Clancy) wrote:

(= =) wrote in message ...
Does anyone have personal experience with the Holiday Inn Main Square
Zocalo in Mexico City? It was my understanding that the Zona Rosa was
preferable to the Zocalo but after doing a little research I'm not so
convinced. If anyone has opinions of this hotel and of the Zocalo area,
I'd be very grateful if you would share them with me. Thank you

From my experience, Mexico City is safe if you don't look like you
have a lot of money, and if you are careful. There were cops right on
the corner by my hotel all night, I forget the name, but recall that
it was on the street "[some woman's name] de Catolica". That one was
around $15/night and okay. However a relatively NICE hotel,
overlooking the Cathedral is Hotel Catedral. Excellent deal, nice
place. Or it was, 7 years ago, when I stayed there.

That would be the Hotel Isabel, yes it's still $15.00 and is still very popular.

Exactly. Great cheap hotel.

The Hotel Catedral is quite a bit more, but still a bargain for what
you get. They are both "great bargains" in their individual price
ranges.

The Hotel Juarez is my all time favorite in Mexico City, at $12.00 per
day.
Carpet, marble bathroom, cable, free bottle water and phone. The only
thing missing is room service but also a great bargain.