Paris metro line 4 to line 12

Old September 26th, 2017, 03:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Metzger

Default Paris metro line 4 to line 12

Which is the shorter walk at Marcadet or Montparnasse?
Old September 26th, 2017, 08:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Athel Cornish-Bowden

On 2017-09-26 02:05:59 +0000, David Metzger said:

Which is the shorter walk at Marcadet or Montparnasse?

I've never been to Marcadet-Poissonières (as far as I remember) but my
guess was that as it's a less important station than Montparnasse the
distance would be less. However, on checking a bit I suspect that that
is WRONG, because Marcadet-Poissonieres was created by joining two
stations that were orginally separate with a long (70 metres) tunnel.
I'd put my money on Montparnasse, though that won't be short either.
However, someone who's actually made the transfers at both stations
will know better.

Whatever you do don't take seriously the "entrance" to Châtelet that
you can find at the Mairie de Paris: you'll find yourself walking
halfway across Paris underground to get to the actual station.

--
athel

Old October 1st, 2017, 09:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Athel Cornish-Bowden

On 2017-09-30 14:38:59 +0000, M@gd@ said:

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 09:58:54 +0200, in rec.travel.europe, Athel Cornish-Bowden
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

... On 2017-09-26 02:05:59 +0000, David Metzger said:
... Which is the shorter walk at Marcadet or Montparnasse?
... I've never been to Marcadet-Poissonières (as far as I remember) but my
... guess was that as it's a less important station than Montparnasse the
... distance would be less. However, on checking a bit I suspect that that
... is WRONG, because Marcadet-Poissonieres was created by joining two
... stations that were orginally separate with a long (70 metres) tunnel.
... I'd put my money on Montparnasse, though that won't be short either.
... However, someone who's actually made the transfers at both stations
... will know better.
... Whatever you do don't take seriously the "entrance" to Châtelet that
... you can find at the Mairie de Paris:

The metro there is called Hôtel de Ville and you can't walk underground
to Châtelet (or
anywhere else).

You certainly can. I've done it. I'm not talking about the Hôtel de
Ville metro station. I'm talking about the small entrance that says
"Châtelet".

you'll find yourself walking
... halfway across Paris underground to get to the actual station.

=====
It sounds much better in French, but then, everything does.

--
athel

Old October 6th, 2017, 06:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Athel Cornish-Bowden

On Sun, 1 Oct 2017 10:08:37 +0200, in rec.travel.europe, Athel Cornish-Bowden

... On 2017-09-30 14:38:59 +0000, M@gd@ said:
... On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 09:58:54 +0200, in rec.travel.europe, Athel
Cornish-Bowden
... arranged some electrons, so they looked
like this:
... ... On 2017-09-26 02:05:59 +0000, David Metzger said:
... ...
[...]

The metro station near the Mairie is called Hôtel de Ville. Nothing can
change it.

Who's trying to change it? (Though I dispute that nothing could change
it: the RATP could certainly change it). Anyway, I made it perfectly
clear that I wasn't referring to the Metro station called Hôtel de
Ville, but to the small entrance that says "Châtelet", and leads to an
underground passage that provides a long walk to Châtelet.

--
athel

Old October 6th, 2017, 07:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mark Brader

Athel Cornish-Bowden:
Whatever you do don't take seriously the "entrance" to Châtelet that
you can find at the Mairie de Paris...

I made it perfectly clear that I wasn't referring to the Metro
station called Hôtel de Ville, but to the small entrance that says
"Châtelet", and leads to an underground passage that provides a
long walk to Châtelet.

I don't imagine you're making it up, but would you mind specifying
the location more precisely than "at the Mairie de Paris"? Is this
inside the building, or is it on a street where we might find it
in Google Street View imagery?
--
Mark Brader | "I doubt that many people have changed their views...
Toronto | If you'd like to continue, please take both sides,

Old October 7th, 2017, 02:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Athel Cornish-Bowden

On 2017-10-06 06:31:27 +0000, Mark Brader said:

Athel Cornish-Bowden:
Whatever you do don't take seriously the "entrance" to Châtelet that
you can find at the Mairie de Paris...

I made it perfectly clear that I wasn't referring to the Metro
station called Hôtel de Ville, but to the small entrance that says
"Châtelet", and leads to an underground passage that provides a
long walk to Châtelet.

I don't imagine you're making it up, but would you mind specifying
the location more precisely than "at the Mairie de Paris"? Is this
inside the building, or is it on a street where we might find it
in Google Street View imagery?

I've looked for it myself, without success. It's rather an
inconspicuous entrance: just a flight of stairs with Metro Châtelet
over it. It's on a street. My recollection (from two years ago) is that
we were returning from the Seine past the Mairie intending to catch the
metro at the Hôtel de Ville station, when we suddenly saw this
inconspicuous entrance. "I hadn't realized we were so close to
Châtelet", I said, but it turned out that we weren't very close at all.

Probably we were walking along the Quai de l'Hôtel de Ville, in which
case it was at the corner with the Rue de Rivoli, but I can't see any
sign of it with Google Maps. If we'd been walking along the Place de
l'Hôtel de Ville we'd have arrived at the station Hôtel de Ville first.
Maybe it's like the entrance to Wonderland in Alice, that you don't see
it unless you're not looking for it.

I'm not too keen on Châtelet (you need to keep a close eye on your
possessions), but it has the advantage that you can get to most places
without changing.

--
athel