Welcome to Myanmar (Burma)

Old August 14th, 2009, 12:14 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt[_2_]

Default Welcome to Myanmar (Burma)

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 04:10:57 -0700 (PDT), tony
wrote:

Anyone willing to visit Myanmar (Burma), please don't hesitate to
contact me for any information you may need about travel in Myanmar. I
would be too pleased to answer your inquiries.

I'm a keen swimmer, and would like to swim in Inya Lake in Yangon.
I've heard that such a simple activity can result in a prison
sentence, not for myself, but for other people who I might meet while
out swimming, even if they were not actually in the lake themselves.

I find this hard to believe. Can it really be true?

Chris
Old August 14th, 2009, 06:00 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Chris Blunt
says...

I'm a keen swimmer, and would like to swim in Inya Lake in Yangon.
I've heard that such a simple activity can result in a prison
sentence, not for myself, but for other people who I might meet while
out swimming, even if they were not actually in the lake themselves.

I find this hard to believe. Can it really be true?

In the USA taking photos of bridges or policemen can result in a heavy
fine. I find this hard to believe. Can it really be true?
--

Alfred Molon
Old August 14th, 2009, 06:24 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt[_2_]

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 19:00:32 +0200, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article , Chris Blunt
says...

I'm a keen swimmer, and would like to swim in Inya Lake in Yangon.
I've heard that such a simple activity can result in a prison
sentence, not for myself, but for other people who I might meet while
out swimming, even if they were not actually in the lake themselves.

I find this hard to believe. Can it really be true?

In the USA taking photos of bridges or policemen can result in a heavy
fine. I find this hard to believe. Can it really be true?

I'm not sure, but if you're saying that laws in the USA are really
that oppressive then I'll accept that you know better than me.

Chris
Old August 15th, 2009, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Magnus[_2_]

wrote:

Anyone willing to visit Myanmar (Burma), please don't hesitate to
contact me for any information you may need about travel in Myanmar. I
would be too pleased to answer your inquiries.

I'm a keen swimmer, and would like to swim in Inya Lake in Yangon.
I've heard that such a simple activity can result in a prison
sentence, not for myself, but for other people who I might meet while
out swimming, even if they were not actually in the lake themselves.

I find this hard to believe. Can it really be true?

Chris

I've been a little slow on the uptake.
I suppose you were refering to John Yettaw, an American convicted to
seven years in prison for swimming secretly to the residence of
detained democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
I've got bad news for our couple of junta's minions:
US Sen. Jim Webb just won his release Saturday!!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090815/...mar_us_senator

:-)
AntiNazi Mort
Old August 16th, 2009, 10:15 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Magnus says...
I suppose you were refering to John Yettaw, an American convicted to
seven years in prison for swimming secretly to the residence of
detained democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
I've got bad news for our couple of junta's minions:
US Sen. Jim Webb just won his release Saturday!!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090815/...mar_us_senator

So this is the brilliant guy who caused so much trouble for Aung San Suu
Kyi? Couldn't he just stay home?
--

Alfred Molon
Old August 16th, 2009, 09:36 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Magnus[_2_]

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 10:05:07 +0100, Chris Blunt
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 18:34:56 GMT, (Magnus) wrote:
I suppose you were refering to John Yettaw, an American convicted to
seven years in prison for swimming secretly to the residence of
detained democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
I've got bad news for our couple of junta's minions:
US Sen. Jim Webb just won his release Saturday!!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090815/...mar_us_senator

Why do you consider this bad news?

I don't.
I'd say its good news.

Because you are NOT a junta's minion, of course.
Chris

;-)
AntiNazi Mort