Delta Queen Expands Presence in New Orleans!

Old October 14th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Default Delta Queen Expands Presence in New Orleans!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from Delta Queen Steamboat Company and
thought it would be of interest. If you have missed any of my news'
postings, they are available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Mayor, Delta Queen Steamboat Company Announce Expanded Presence in New
Orleans With New Land-River Cruise Package

NEW ORLEANS, Oct. 14
The New Orleans Mayor's Office and Delta Queen Steamboat Company,
Inc., held a press conference today to announce the expansion of Delta
Queen's operations in New Orleans with the introduction in April 2004
of a new land-river cruise package that combines the area's finest
hotels, restaurants and attractions with a luxury cruise aboard the
grand American Queen.
New Orleans Mayor C. Ray Nagin and Delta Queen President Rick Abramson
touted the economic impact anticipated from the relocation of the
company's largest vessel, the American Queen, to sail year-round from
New Orleans to deliver "New Orleans & Riverboat Adventure Week"
vacations.

"We are glad that Delta Queen recognizes the opportunities in New
Orleans, and we hope to work with them to continue their growth,"
Nagin said during today's press conference.

The new schedule increases the number of American Queen cruises out of
New Orleans from 24 to 72 in 2004 and close to 100 in 2005. The
vacation launches April 12.

"We've partnered with the best hotels, the best restaurants and the
best attractions in the city, and paired them with the incomparable
hospitality aboard our largest and most luxurious vessel," Abramson
said. "We're very pleased to be increasing our presence in New
Orleans, and expanding our contribution to the local economy."

The new package will further economic development in New Orleans by
providing:

* 30,000 visitors enjoying a 3- and 4-night river cruise and land
package
in New Orleans;
* An estimated 110,000 hotel room nights over the course of the
year;
* 150,000 restaurant and hotel meals as part of the package;
* 75,000 attraction and tour tickets included in the package;
* An estimated $30 million in local direct spending, including an
increase
of nearly $10 million for provisions such as fuel, food,
beverages and
supplies for the vessel;
* Additional visitor spending for shopping, meals, attractions and
nightlife;
* An estimated 30 additional jobs at Delta Queen Steamboat
Company.

"With visitor expenditures, our New Orleans & Riverboat Adventure Week
will contribute approximately $30 million in direct spending to the
city, with a ripple effect of nearly $150 million to the local economy
in 2004," Abramson said.

Also on hand for the press conference were representatives from the
local business community: Bill Hines, chairman of the MetroVision
Economic Development Partnership; Barbara Johnson, Interim President
and CEO of the New Orleans Regional Chamber of Commerce and
MetroVision; Steve Perry, President Of the New Orleans Metropolitan
Convention and Visitors Bureau; Sandy Shilstone, President of the New
Orleans Tourism Marketing Corporation; Port of New Orleans Board of
Commissioners, Robert Jumonville and Johnny Cefalu, director and
deputy director of cruise and tourism; Executives from the Greater New
Orleans Hotel & Motel Association and Louisiana Restaurant
Association, Bill Langkoff and Jim Funk; and members of the New
Orleans City Council.

The seven-night land-riverboat package is available for the same price
as a four-night riverboat cruise, starting at $995 per person. The
American Queen will depart New Orleans every Monday and Friday for
roundtrip cruises with stops in Baton Rouge, Oak Alley, St.
Francisville, and neighboring Natchez and Vicksburg, Miss. As part of
the company's early booking incentive program, DQSC is offering a $300
per person savings on all 2004 Adventure Week vacation packages booked
and deposited by Dec. 31. Both the three- and four- night riverboat
cruise may be purchased as a cruise-only vacation, offered at 2-for-1
fares through Dec. 31.

Included in the package are meals at famous restaurants such as
Arnaud's, Antoine's, Court of Two Sisters, Emeril's, Mulate's Original
Cajun Restaurant, Palace Cafe, and Tujague's, and renowned New Orleans
attractions, including the French Quarter Carriage Tour, Audubon Zoo
and Audubon Aquarium, National D-Day Museum, Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras
World, Creole and Cajun cooking classes, and tours of famous gardens,
historic areas and haunted sites. Hotel selections include the Windsor
Court, New Orleans Marriott and the Hotel InterContinental New
Orleans, and are determined by the stateroom categories that guests
book for their riverboat cruise. The 436-passenger American Queen also
will carry the New Orleans theme throughout its cruise, with local
entertainment, including the Cajun music and Dixieland Jazz that the
area is known for, signature menus and a Mardi Gras ball.

A Delaware North Company, DQSC offers overnight cruises year-round on
the Mississippi, Ohio, Cumberland, Illinois, Arkansas and Tennessee
rivers aboard the nation's only authentic steam-powered paddlewheelers
featuring overnight accommodations. DQSC offers trips beginning and
ending in New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, Louisville, Cincinnati,
Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Minneapolis/St. Paul, and Chattanooga, Tenn.
The Delta Queen also travels from Mobile, Ala., to New Orleans, and to
Galveston, Texas, on the Intracoastal Waterway.

For more details on these vacations, contact your travel agent.