Perth - Darwin West Coast road trip!

Old June 10th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Tom Evans

Default Perth - Darwin West Coast road trip!

Hey,

I'm flying out to WA in the next two weeks with the intention of going
up/down the coast from Perth to Darwin or Darwin to Perth. I'm
travelling alone, and trying to make the trip as cheaply as possible -
hopefully sharing lifts with other backpackers along the way. Is this
easy to do.. are there many lifts up or down the coast?

I'm currently thinking of starting in Perth, but I believe that
relocation vehicles are available in Darwin to return to Perth, which
would obviously increase the number of potential lifts down the coast.
I guess if all else fails I could hire one myself for the journey, but
I'd prefer a few weeks to do the trip rather than the 9 or so days
they may insist upon!

So.. should I go Darwin-Perth, or Perth-Darwin? Are there many
buses/tours between these two places also. I have to complete the trip
in no more than four weeks.

Cheers
Tom Evans
Old June 10th, 2004, 03:32 PM
AlmostBob

You wont make it

there arent many roads/other travellers/lifts/towns/water or anything else
along the west coast

find a map of WA and actually LOOK at it. 1000s of Km of great big empty,
roads drawn as highways are NOT four lanes of ashphalt with cute little
country bumpkin towns every 50km, they are generally graded tracks, or a
single lane

The trip Darwin to Perth is seldom done along the coast without large support,
multiple vehicles, and intelligence
as well prepared(sarcasm) as you are, you would most likely become something
for future archaeologists to find
--

om...

Old June 10th, 2004, 05:44 PM
maxi

agree!

"AlmostBob" schreef in bericht
news
You wont make it

there arent many roads/other travellers/lifts/towns/water or anything else
along the west coast

find a map of WA and actually LOOK at it. 1000s of Km of great big empty,
roads drawn as highways are NOT four lanes of ashphalt with cute little
country bumpkin towns every 50km, they are generally graded tracks, or a
single lane

The trip Darwin to Perth is seldom done along the coast without large
support,
multiple vehicles, and intelligence
as well prepared(sarcasm) as you are, you would most likely become

something
for future archaeologists to find
--

om...

Old June 10th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Tom Evans

I appreciate your candid response! I figured it could be something
like that - very few travellers offering lifts which would necessitate
a very expensive few days on a bus from Darwin to Perth. I do think it
would be an adventure, but maybe something to do 'next time' when I've
got the funds to hire a car and see it all with a few friends.

SO.. now I'm thinking of Sydney - Mel - Adelaide - Perth. Any hazards
I should be aware of going that way ;-)

Old June 10th, 2004, 11:26 PM

"AlmostBob" wrote in message ...
You wont make it

there arent many roads/other travellers/lifts/towns/water or anything else
along the west coast

find a map of WA and actually LOOK at it. 1000s of Km of great big empty,
roads drawn as highways are NOT four lanes of ashphalt with cute little
country bumpkin towns every 50km, they are generally graded tracks, or a
single lane

The trip Darwin to Perth is seldom done along the coast without large support,
multiple vehicles, and intelligence
as well prepared(sarcasm) as you are, you would most likely become something
for future archaeologists to find
--

What an absolute load of rubbish.......

Although the areas and distances can be sparse, the road from Perth to
Darwin is quite Ok, and blacktop/bitumen/ashphalt all the way.

With the exception of the wet season, when roads can be closed for
periods in the far northern tropical sections, it is a good drive.

From Perth to Darwin is approximately 4000 Kilometres.

I would suggest that "AlmostBob" is just that and would'nt know if his
rear end was on fire...

Old June 11th, 2004, 01:59 AM
AlmostBob

excuse me, intelligence in the information sense.
that looks really rude and it wasnt intended to be, one day I am going to
learn to speak civilian, ex RAInf, my retirement was over a year ago, should
be able to converse by now

--

m...

Old June 11th, 2004, 03:03 AM
Sue

Hi Tom

I live in Karratha WA 1635klms north of Perth and regularly drive the Perth
to Karratha run. At the moment you shouldn't have any problems getting
lifts etc. Just head for the local backpackers and caravan parks and ask
around. This time of the year there are tourists galore and quite often
they are only too happy to give a fellow traveller a lift.

Others are correct about the remoteness of the Pilbara and Kimberley regions
but with the perfect weather at the moment and scenery which is unique to
the areas then I hope you don't left others put you off of coming.

Sue - Karratha WA

Old June 11th, 2004, 03:47 AM
Phil

| Hey,
|
| I'm flying out to WA in the next two weeks with the intention of
going
| up/down the coast from Perth to Darwin or Darwin to Perth. I'm
| travelling alone, and trying to make the trip as cheaply as possible
-
| hopefully sharing lifts with other backpackers along the way. Is
this
| easy to do.. are there many lifts up or down the coast?
|
| I'm currently thinking of starting in Perth, but I believe that
| relocation vehicles are available in Darwin to return to Perth,
which
| would obviously increase the number of potential lifts down the
coast.
| I guess if all else fails I could hire one myself for the journey,
but
| I'd prefer a few weeks to do the trip rather than the 9 or so days
| they may insist upon!
|
| So.. should I go Darwin-Perth, or Perth-Darwin? Are there many
| buses/tours between these two places also. I have to complete the
trip
| in no more than four weeks.
|
| Cheers
| Tom Evans

Hi Tom,
I drove from Perth as far as Broome in May, on my own in a hired
campervan over 2 weeks. Was on my own and had a fantastic time. The
highway is paved all the way to Darwin, on the Perth to Broome route
the furthest between fuel stops I had to drive was about 300kms. This
is including sidetrips to places like the Pinnacles, Kalbarri, up to
Exmouth and the Cape Range National Park, and Karijini N/P. I also met
plenty of other people driving the same route, some tourists but
mainly Australians.
I slightly disagree with some of the replies to your post, although
obviously they are right if you were planning to do some of the real
bush routes. Following the coast as you said, the road is paved all
the way and many people do it in 1 vehicle. I was abit concerned about
being on my own in case I slipped into a gorge and broke a leg, so
maybe meeting up with other travellers before you leave might be a
good idea - try notices in hostels etc. I saw quite a few notices from
people doing the journey.
As far as breaking down on the roads, on the route I mentioned above
that I did I don't think that I went for more than a couple of hours
without seeing anyone else. Go down a small dusty road to see whats
there and break down and you may be there for a VERY long time!

If you do decide to do the syd-mel-ade-perth drive, the Nullabor may
have more traffic on but it's still a bloody long way between fuel
stops. Personally I think that the west coast is the most stunning
place in Oz and I'd happily drive it all again!

Hope this helps?
Phil
Old June 11th, 2004, 07:28 AM
..be..

gee its disappointing that people write rubbish like that, it makes me
wonder if they know where the door is.

i lived in the pilbara & kimberley regions for several years before
moving to darwin about 20years ago. the nw of australia is one of the
most spectacular parts of the planet. a quick drive between perth and
darwin takes 4days, sealed road all the way, but i like driving. the
longest stretch in those days without a fuel stop was about 350kms,
south of broome. whilst working on the diamond mines i managed to
explore most of the kimberley from the ground and the air, my next
trip down there will be by sea.

i cant comment on hitchiking these days, but
http://www.mccaffertys.com.au/
shows that a bus fare costs about $AU300. frankly i hate buses, but
they are regular enough (daily), if you start to feel you are losing
it, you could always book one at a roadhouse. its the dry season in
north australia now and winter around perth, plan your trip to let you
acclimatise based on where you are coming from. ie if you arent used
to the heat go to perth and travel north. always carry ample water if
you intend to leave civilisation by foot.

its a great part of the planet and the people are the best too.

Old June 11th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Joseph McDonnell

My sister and her then boyfriend made the trip (Darwin to Perth) about 20 years ago in an ordinary 4-door ute. They
took only common sense precuations i.e. water, tyres, spare parts etc. Had a great time. And if there are now
busses doing the trip, it can't be too bad.

Joseph