Perth / Sydney / Melbourne / Gold Coast

Old June 18th, 2004, 06:31 AM
Kit

Default Perth / Sydney / Melbourne / Gold Coast

Hi,

I'm visiting Australia next month.

11 July to Perth (stay by my brother)
24 july to Sydney (stay by my friend)
11 August to Melbourne (probably Melbourne Queensberry Hill Hostel, YHA; http://www.yha.com.au/hostels/details.cfm?hostelid=98)
17 August to Gold Coast (probably Coolangatta/Kirra Beach Hostel, YHA; http://www.yha.com.au/hostels/details.cfm?hostelid=47)
23 August to Perth (stay by my brother)
25 August to Singapore (need a hostel, but can visit my uncle)
29 August to Hong Kong (where I'm from)

A couple of questions:

- I'm traveling alone (female, but don't think gender matters much), is it safe to stay in multi-share room in hostels? Anyone got experience to share with me?
- How much do I need to carry along with me? Flights and accommodation excluded. What about travel passes? Meals? Entry fees to some parks/museums etc. (I'm living in an extremely tight budget)
- Where do you recommend me to visit in these cities?
- Just anything I should be aware of.

Many many thanks....
Old June 18th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Raffi Balmanoukian

Hostels in Oz: I've never had any dramas. Of course, there are people from
all over the world, and they're only as trustworthy as your roommates, but
in general they are safe in terms of both your person and your property.
That's not to say if you leave gold bars on your bed they won't "grow feet,"
but I've actually stayed in spots where people have left things like
passports and mobile phones lying around (not recommended!) and were still
OK.

The Queensberry Hill YHA is a tad large, but highly recommended by me - I
know every dollar counts when backpacking, but the difference between a
4-share and an 8-share is only 2 or 3 dollars and well worth it. All it
takes is one partier or one snorer or one 3 a.m. departure (who inevitably
crinkles every cellophane bag in the universe whilst packing) to ruin a
night's sleep and, consequently, the entire next day.

It has excellent kitchen facilities and is a 5 minute walk from downtown.
Be sure to take in the night market if it's on the go when you're there (it
may be summer only, though).

There is a very good Chinatown as well.

in article , Kit at wrote on 6/18/04 2:31
AM: