hot spot

Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:04 AM
poldy

In article ,
"Rog'" wrote:

Alan S writes:
Displaying my ignorance here. Would some of the experts
here please explain in words of one syllable (suitable for a
travelling-laptop-illiterate) how best to travel the world
with a portable computer.

There are books on this subject, like the Internet for Dummies.
Expecting someone here to write off the cuff is a bit much.
Why not visit a library, a bookstore, or www.amazon.com . =R=

Here's an overview.

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roa...tconnecting.ht

They seem to have articles on other travel technology, like cell phones.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:16 AM
poldy

In article ,
Alan S wrote:

That's why I come here instead of just reading LP, or Rough
Guide, or tourist web-sites etc for other travel tips.

Okay a quick swag.

More and more laptops have wireless access built in these days.
Wireless laptops are in all price ranges so you're not going to save a
lot of money by not getting one.

These will also have ethernet connections and usually a built-in dialup
modem, so most connection options will be covered.

I've browsed around hotels and if you check the amenities listed at
sites like Expedia, some will list complementary or paid broadband.
These could be wireless or they could be ethernet connections. Then
finally most hotels will at least have dataports or just a telephone
line to connect to a local ISP.

Some people who rent apartments to tourists will also have cable or DSL
connections.

Main concern with wireless is security. At a public hotspot (either
free or paid), when you check email, your password will be sent in the
clear unless your email account provider (usually the ISP) provides SSL,
which encrypts or scrambles your email password. If you're connected
with an ethernet cable or even a dialup, security is less of a concern
but these days, most ISPs should provide POP email accounts with SSL.

Alternative is web email accounts like Yahoo or Gmail, where you can use
an encrypted web page to authenticate (the little lock icon when you use
a secure page). Some ISPs also have web email access too.
Incidentally, if you check your bank web site or say buy something on
Amazon, usually these are encrypted so entering passwords and credit
card numbers should be less of a concern, whether on a wireless or wired
connection.

Beyond that, you of course have to worry about the physical security of
your laptop, if you leave it at unfamiliar places. You can buy cable
locks which attach to the laptop but these won't stop professional
thieves. Of course hotels offer safes, including some in hotel rooms.

Then there are insurance policies to protect against theft, like
www.safeware.com.

But people are also concerned about losing their data. Macs come with
an ability to encrypt key directory containing user data with the OS.
Not sure if Windows does but there are surely security products which
will also encrypt or password-protect the entire contents of the hard
drive.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:18 AM
poldy

In article ,
jcoulter wrote:

I use my PDA though because it is my office, as a travel agent I can do
business almost anywhere if I can get connected. So with a quad band
phone, an international roaming sim, and a PDA that connect either to
the wifi hot spot or through data dial up and bluetooth I am ready to
go.

I've looked at PDAs, which are kind of being displaced by the PDA/phone
combos like the Treos.

Standalone PDAs can get expensive, sometimes over $500. At that point,
you're encroaching on laptop territory when it comes to price.

Sure you can't beat the weight. But if you want something that you plan
to use at home, not just for travel, then a laptop offers more
capabilities and certainly utility.

Except for the weight of course.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 06:48 PM

poldy wrote:
In article ,
jcoulter wrote:

I use my PDA though because it is my office, as a travel agent I can do
business almost anywhere if I can get connected. So with a quad band
phone, an international roaming sim, and a PDA that connect either to
the wifi hot spot or through data dial up and bluetooth I am ready to
go.

I've looked at PDAs, which are kind of being displaced by the PDA/phone
combos like the Treos.

Standalone PDAs can get expensive, sometimes over $500. At that point,
you're encroaching on laptop territory when it comes to price.

Sure you can't beat the weight. But if you want something that you plan
to use at home, not just for travel, then a laptop offers more
capabilities and certainly utility.

Except for the weight of course.

take a look at the new Sony Vaio with a 10 inch screen, weighs bugger
all (2kg), but not cheap in Europe, so combine a trip to the states or
hong kong for the purchase. About Euro 2000.

Old June 23rd, 2005, 03:50 PM

Here is the trick to always having free WI-FI everywhe

Get yourself a wardriving cantenna and a PCMCIA card with an external
antenna port.

Information on Cantennas can be found all over the net, higher-end
version can be purchased on E-Bay for well below $100, including a
proper PCMCIA card.

They are small enough that they can be checked into your luggage.

When you get to your hotel, in Europe or anywhere else in the world,
hook up your cantenna and run a free program called netstumbler,
available at www.netstumbler.com. It will locate all access points near
by and tell you if they are encrypted or not. While you have the AP
located, move the antenna until you get the best reading and there you
are; Free Wi-fi.

I live in a small town and there are 3 access points I can connect to
at my house if I needed to. In a real city or an apartment, hotel or
neighborhood, you will be amazed.

Warning: I am not advocating doing something illegal, check the laws
before you start "wardriving" or "Netstumbling".

Old June 25th, 2005, 07:32 AM

poldy wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

poldy wrote:
In article ,
jcoulter wrote:

[...]

Sony Vaios have a certain reputation for bad service and reliability.

The designs are sleek and undeniably sexy but they charge a premium at
every price point.

Their ultra-small models are really expensive.

I have a Toshiba bought in January 2005, it already needs a new
hibernation switch, my girlfriend has a HP from a few months earlier
that has already had a new back light. I will let you know if the vaio
breaks down.