are you all still here?

Old March 15th, 2007, 11:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
me[_5_]

Default are you all still here?

On Mar 15, 5:53 am, Martin wrote:
On 14 Mar 2007 12:03:40 -0700, "me" wrote:

On Mar 14, 2:52 pm, The Reid wrote:
On 14 Mar 2007 11:45:27 -0700, "me" wrote:

Doing Wainwrights coast to coast
in 15 days. Then off to London for a pint or two.

Two excellent ideas! East to west or west to east?

We were advised to do West to east, mostly because of the winds.
It does have the advantage of starting closer to our arrival airport
and
ending closer to London. The down side of course is that we'll be
starting in the hilly areas when we are the least in shape.

Gonna geek out completely on this one and dip my boots in
both bodies of water and carry a couple of pebbles across to drop
in St. Robins Bay. 'Bout the only thing missing is a Blarney Stone
to kiss.

There's snow forecast.

[snip]

In late June/early July? Talk 'bout global climate change!

Old March 15th, 2007, 07:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:13:34 +0000, The Reid
wrote:

seems this group has reached a new low, I haven't noticed posts from
several of the sensible regulars lately and dozens of juvenile threads
being started, mostly about Jacqueline and such like.
Are you still out there?

I'm really busy trying to write an article, but I'm here. After
killing the spam threads and filtering the idiots, there's not much
left here.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

If you were spending four days in Lisbon, and 4 days 'somewhere
else' with access to a beach, where would you want to go?

what about Porto (Oporto), not for a beach, but i'm assuming its
interesting? Hmmm, Dictionary say industrial.

Really looking for some relaxed beach time. I don't mind something
popular with tourists, if there are some charming areas. I'd wondered
about Lagos...

Porto is *extremely* urban - I liked it but it isn't relaxing.

Braganca is as far away from a beach as you can get in Portugal
but it's charming and laid-back.

Old March 15th, 2007, 08:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

If you were spending four days in Lisbon, and 4 days 'somewhere
else' with access to a beach, where would you want to go?
what about Porto (Oporto), not for a beach, but i'm assuming its
interesting? Hmmm, Dictionary say industrial.

Really looking for some relaxed beach time. I don't mind something
popular with tourists, if there are some charming areas. I'd wondered
about Lagos...

Porto is *extremely* urban - I liked it but it isn't relaxing.

Braganca is as far away from a beach as you can get in Portugal
but it's charming and laid-back.

HWMBO is suggesting Lagos. That's fine- his fault if it's crap!

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge

OOOh Iceman, how profound !
I understand now your urge to ban people from the group !
Not evleth, of course, his post about NYC pizzas was most in topic and
entertaining !

"Iceman" a écrit dans le message de news:
On Mar 14, 6:24 pm, Joseph Coulter wrote:
The Reid wrote:
seems this group has reached a new low, I haven't noticed posts from
several of the sensible regulars lately and dozens of juvenile threads
being started, mostly about Jacqueline and such like.
Are you still out there?

Assuming that I am one of the sensible ones, I am still here.

No relation to Ann, I hope!

Old March 16th, 2007, 03:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
amslink

Yep, too.
Haven't been to the Algarve (or Portugal) and when looking, I find it
difficult to separate out the more interesting places.
(Why in fact does everyone go there?!).
Not fussed about beaches, but what are recommendations for pleasant coastal
large village/small town, good 'ruins'. good eating?

Surreyman

The Algarve's principal attractions are golf courses and beaches.
Like everywhere touristy, travel five minutes inland from the sea and
it's a different country. Lagos has been done up over recent years
and has a couple of nice beaches and some interesting tourist things
to do, trips on boats to look at rock formations being one. There is
a train which rattles along the entire length of the Algarve coast and
I am told is a fun way to spend a day. Do not be tempted by Praia da
Rocha unless you consider Benidorm to be a pleasant place. By
avoiding the obvious British menus, I've never had a bad meal in a
restaurant but beware anything described as "Algarve style" as it is
invariable swimming in in grey gravy.

Sagres, Cape St Vincent, Monchique, Silves are worth the effort in the
western Algarve but there is not really much in terms of ruins. Faro
city has its moments as does Tavira but essentially most places are
former fishing villages taken over by tourism. The saving grace of
May being that is is not over run with tourists.

Graham
http://www.ams-link.co.uk

Old March 24th, 2007, 04:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Anonymouse

Hi,

the group has gone up and down in waves over the years.

and I know I haven't checked it since I had minor troubles in the
time-warner/comcast switch locally...

but it seems to be coming in again.

I'm back!

ttyl

akia

The Reid wrote:
seems this group has reached a new low, I haven't noticed posts from
several of the sensible regulars lately and dozens of juvenile threads
being started, mostly about Jacqueline and such like.
Are you still out there?

--
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
(Bob Dylan - Absolutely Sweet Marie - Blonde on Blonde - 1966)
Old March 24th, 2007, 09:53 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
FredBear

The Reid wrote:

seems this group has reached a new low, I haven't noticed posts from
several of the sensible regulars lately and dozens of juvenile threads
being started

A bit like this thoughtful contribution then ?