Smoking in European hotels?

Old September 4th, 2007, 10:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

Default Smoking in European hotels?

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 11:40:58 +0200, Martin
wrote:

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 10:59:38 +0200, Tim C. wrote:

Following up to "tim....." :

"we don't get the type of guests that we would like"

Her name isn't Fawlty by any chance? :-)

How does she prevent smoking after sex?

Decrease the friction.

Old September 5th, 2007, 12:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

"Tim C." skrev i meddelandet
Following up to "tim....." :

"Tim C." wrote in message
. ..
Following up to Alan S :

wrote:

Following up to "tim....." :

"we don't get the type of guests that we would like"

Her name isn't Fawlty by any chance? :-)

Sybil happily accepted them all. It was Basil that disliked
the riff-raff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOUGPW_M8vg

True. Maybe the landlady was Basil's sister

I do find it a bit off you all speculating about a hotel that you
know nothing about and whilst doing so implicitly insulting the
person who stayed there (me).

We're doing nothing of the sort. "You started it ...".
The Fawltys had generally decent guests, on the whole.
--
Tim C.

------
More or less , yes. The owner was the problem.
Interesting that there was a real Fawlty Tower being the example.
Gleneagles in Torquay
http://www.fawltysite.net/
John Cleese told about that hotel and said it was one of the best hotels in
Torquay but the owner was exceptional rude. The Monthy Python actors
stayed there but moved quickly, John alone remained studying the fantastic
man being rude against all visitors.
One story was : a man asked for a gin and tonic in the bar
"The bar is closed"
"It's not advertised so"
"But the bar is closed !"
"You're in the bar why not sell me a gin &tonic ?"
"I told you the bar is closed"
"So I walk out to the next-door hotel"
"The entrance is closed from 10"
when he returned the entrance WAS closed
Owner in a window upstairs:
"I told you we closed at 10"
"But let me in , my family is in the room"
" We close at 10"
After a lot of arguments and noise in the street the owner finally decided
to let the man in.
"Never try to arrive after 10 again"

Old September 5th, 2007, 01:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

tim..... wrote:

I "retired" to Arizona, last November. (Mainly because the cost of living
here appeared to be somewhat lower than in L.A.) Not the wisest decision
I ever made,

Being nosey he

Is this because of practical problems,

or because it is too damned hot?

The heat isn't as bad as I had expected (even though this
summer has set a record). Fortunately, with ceiling fans
and an efficeint central air-conditioning system, my
apartment is quite comfortable, and I need not go out very
often, aside from a daily walk of a few hundred feet to my
outdoor mailbox.

On the other hand, I had expected the desert to be merely
geographical, not cultural, which is proving not to be the
case! (There ARE concerts, etc., but everything seems so
far away, and "public transportation" is even more
non-existent here than in Los Angeles.)
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Anonymouse

Tim C. wrote:
Following up to "tim....." :

"we don't get the type of guests that we would like"

Her name isn't Fawlty by any chance? :-)

Basil...

it gets interesting in Amsterdam...

We're ~50 and booked a moderate hotel... on check-in there's this notice
about "soft drugs"...

ok...

we smoke discretely.

--

- Call me ruthless, amoral, but never call me dishonest. -
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 17:37:32 -0700,
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

tim..... wrote:

[...]

That's what you get for moving to Phoenix instead of Tucson...

Old September 5th, 2007, 10:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

On the other hand, I had expected the desert to be merely geographical,
not cultural, which is proving not to be the case! (There ARE concerts,
etc., but everything seems so far away, and "public transportation" is
even more non-existent here than in Los Angeles.)

I really am surprised that you didn't realise this before you
went.

From the view that us Europeans usually get of the big
(bad) USofA it often surprises me how parochial some of
the 'outback' regions can be. But it no longer surprises
me that they are.

tim

Old September 5th, 2007, 10:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jugdish

On 5 Sep, 11:19, "tim....." wrote:

On the other hand, I had expected the desert to be merely geographical,
not cultural, which is proving not to be the case! (There ARE concerts,
etc., but everything seems so far away, and "public transportation" is
even more non-existent here than in Los Angeles.)

I really am surprised that you didn't realise this before you
went.

like British people changing countries only to find that the locals
don't speak English....

Old September 5th, 2007, 08:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

tim..... wrote:

[...]

You're right, of course! ;-) (And considering the number of
times I've seen the family members who "snowbird" here, it
really would not have made much difference.) I'll be moving
to an "independent living" senior facility when my lease
expires in November. The social activities they provide
include group outings to plays and concerts, so with that
plus opportunities to socialize on the premises, I hope not
to feel so isolated. Where I am now, I could die back here,
and no one would notice until my rent was late, or my corpse
began to smell! (Unless it mummified first, given the low
humidity here.)
Old September 5th, 2007, 08:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

tim..... wrote:

On the other hand, I had expected the desert to be merely geographical,
not cultural, which is proving not to be the case! (There ARE concerts,
etc., but everything seems so far away, and "public transportation" is
even more non-existent here than in Los Angeles.)

I really am surprised that you didn't realise this before you
went.

To some extent I did, but Phoenix is a large city, with
population (at least in the wintertime) from all over the
U.S. Unfortunately, they tend to be of the more affluent -
your basic Arizonan still has ties to its cattle-ranching
past. Also, the reason Americans are regarded by the rest
of the world as being normally obese has become clear. Many
of the people I see shopping in the supermarkets must weigh
close to three hundred pounds - and make no attempt to
minimize it! (I'm heavier than I should be, but beside them
- even some of their children - I appear slender.)

From the view that us Europeans usually get of the big
(bad) USofA it often surprises me how parochial some of
the 'outback' regions can be. But it no longer surprises
me that they are.

Of course, that's why the "religious right" has such a hold
on our political structure (ever since "abortion" became a
political issue, the more important economic issues have
become secondary with too many of the "common man" here.)
Old September 5th, 2007, 10:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 12:41:23 -0700,
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

That's what you get for moving to Phoenix instead of Tucson...

You're right, of course! ;-) (And considering the number of
times I've seen the family members who "snowbird" here, it
really would not have made much difference.) I'll be moving
to an "independent living" senior facility when my lease
expires in November. The social activities they provide
include group outings to plays and concerts, so with that
plus opportunities to socialize on the premises, I hope not
to feel so isolated. Where I am now, I could die back here,
and no one would notice until my rent was late, or my corpse
began to smell! (Unless it mummified first, given the low
humidity here.)

My mother, who was 92 at the time, decided to sell her condo in
Florida a year or so ago (just in time for the housing crash!!)
and move out here to be close to family (my brother lives in a
small South Carolina college town). She has taken up residence at
a very nice "retirement village" here and seems to be thriving,
even without indulging in all the card games and such. They bring
in speakers and lecturers and provide transport to concerts and
shopping and all. She's doing very nicely, athough she still
misses her friends and chrch folk in florida. And, of course, my
wife and I take her places as well.