Think I should go for it or play it safe?

Old January 28th, 2005, 12:15 AM
lj

Default Think I should go for it or play it safe?

Booking a return flight from Port Canaveral via Orlando. The flight is at
12:35, otherwise the next available is 7 pm. Is that cutting it too close
debarking, driving to Orlando, catching the plane?

Old January 28th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"lj" wrote in message
. ..
Booking a return flight from Port Canaveral via Orlando. The flight is at
12:35, otherwise the next available is 7 pm. Is that cutting it too close
debarking, driving to Orlando, catching the plane?

Me, I'd'a opted for the later flight, or departed the following day. To end
a relaxing week of cruising by dealing with all the anxiety of immigration,
debarkation, then fighting traffic to the airport is to wipe out all the
relaxation. Leastways, that's how I'd handle it.

Old January 28th, 2005, 12:39 AM
GlobalTravel

Play it safe

Old January 28th, 2005, 12:39 AM
GlobalTravel

Play it safe

Old January 28th, 2005, 12:43 AM
jcoulter

"Skip Elliott Bowman" wrote in
ink.net:

"lj" wrote in message
. ..
Booking a return flight from Port Canaveral via Orlando. The flight
is at 12:35, otherwise the next available is 7 pm. Is that cutting it
too close debarking, driving to Orlando, catching the plane?

Me, I'd'a opted for the later flight, or departed the following day.
To end a relaxing week of cruising by dealing with all the anxiety of
immigration, debarkation, then fighting traffic to the airport is to
wipe out all the relaxation. Leastways, that's how I'd handle it.

Right you are Skip, this one calls for being off the ship and in the car by
9:30 to insure making it happen. Orlando can be one of the most frustrating
airports in America. Long lines behind unhappy children. I would go to
another airport! but trying to rush to get there for the frustrations of
long lines for luggage checks and screening, forget it stay at home.
Old January 28th, 2005, 12:53 AM
lj

"jcoulter" wrote in message
"Skip Elliott Bowman" wrote in
ink.net:

"lj" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

That's true, esp since it's a honeymoon cruise, but we're spending the week
prior to the cruise in FL so I figure I will be missing my baby (who's 17
and prob will never notice I'm gone) and would like a day at home before
getting back to the grind. 7 will probably be best....(but, I'm wanting to
drive anyway, the truckdriver fiance wants to fly)

Old January 28th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Jim

Nope, chances of you making it are about 60/40 against at best and probably
closer to 75/25 against making it.
Jim

. ..

Old January 28th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake jcoulter :

"Skip Elliott Bowman" wrote in
link.net:

"lj" wrote in message
. ..
Booking a return flight from Port Canaveral via Orlando. The flight
is at 12:35, otherwise the next available is 7 pm. Is that cutting it
too close debarking, driving to Orlando, catching the plane?

Me, I'd'a opted for the later flight, or departed the following day.
To end a relaxing week of cruising by dealing with all the anxiety of
immigration, debarkation, then fighting traffic to the airport is to
wipe out all the relaxation. Leastways, that's how I'd handle it.

Right you are Skip, this one calls for being off the ship and in the car by
9:30 to insure making it happen. Orlando can be one of the most frustrating
airports in America. Long lines behind unhappy children. I would go to
another airport! but trying to rush to get there for the frustrations of
long lines for luggage checks and screening, forget it stay at home.

I've never spent less than 30 minutes standing in line at the security
checkpoint in MCO. Although never more than an hour. Which kind of
sucks for getting on a 12:35 flight. And then there's the long line
at check in, and the line to drop the car, and the line ...

--
dillon

"When the French are against it, you know we can't
be far wrong." - Adm. Bobbie Ray Inman
Old January 28th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Mike

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 03:06:38 GMT, Dillon Pyron
wrote:

---snip---
I've never spent less than 30 minutes standing in line at the security
checkpoint in MCO. Although never more than an hour. Which kind of
sucks for getting on a 12:35 flight. And then there's the long line
at check in, and the line to drop the car, and the line ...

I have spent as little as 3 minutes in security at MCO, and as long as
1 hour. The 1 hour was when I got the dreaded SSSS. Although there
was another time I got the SSSS and it took less time than the regular
line. Now that I think of it, I get the SSSS about 75% of the time.
What did I do?

to go back to the original poster's question, I would take the later
flight. It sounds like the OP will be renting a car, and there are
several relaxing things to do in and around Port Canaveral, so make an
afternoon of it, leisurely make your way to the airport, get home
late, and sleep in the next day. I agree with the others. I would
not want to end my honeymoon rushing around and being stressed.

As a side note, on my honeymoon, we made it from he port of Harwich to
LGW before noon. Then we found out our 3:00 flight LGW-EWR-MCO was
cancelled, and wee luckily were put on the 2:00 nonstop LGW-MCO and
got home 6 hours earlier than planned.
Old January 28th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Rod

Last February, we had a 12:30 flight getting off the Carnival Glory and made
it with plenty of time.We were sitting at the gate by 10:45 staring at each
other. Took Mears shuttle right from the pier, pay when you get on, no need
to book it in advance. If you were doing a rental car though i'd book a
later flight since getting the car etc will take you enough time right
there.

. ..