laptop web access travelling

Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:21 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike.....[_5_]

Default laptop web access travelling

i've never done this before, people talk about wifi, but i tend to go to
end of the road type places where i doubt its about much. Can you use a web
aware mobile to feed data to a laptop?
--
Mike........
remove clothing to email
Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Jul 22, 8:21 am, "Mike....."
wrote:
i've never done this before, people talk about wifi, but i tend to go to
end of the road type places where i doubt its about much. Can you use a web
aware mobile to feed data to a laptop?
--
Mike........
remove clothing to email

Certainly, but the devil is in the detail of (a) your phone, (b) your
phone company and its roaming partners, and (c) your laptop. It's
probably a good idea to search online phone-user forums for very
specific advice.

An alternative which has got me out of trouble more than once is to
get an AOL account - they have dial-up in almost every country.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Mike....." wrote in message
. ..
i've never done this before, people talk about wifi, but i tend to go to
end of the road type places where i doubt its about much. Can you use a
web
aware mobile to feed data to a laptop?

Depends on where you are in the world.

In some places there's CDMA mobile broadband rather than GSM.

It's pretty hard to get far from a McDonalds unless you're somewhere pretty
remote, and they claim that all branches have WiFi now...

I've always found that even if you do get to the end of the road there's
usually a cyber cafe within a couple of miles of wherever you are unless
you're somewhere remote in Asia.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

William Black wrote:
"Mike....." wrote in message
. ..
i've never done this before, people talk about wifi, but i tend to go to
end of the road type places where i doubt its about much. Can you use a
web
aware mobile to feed data to a laptop?

Depends on where you are in the world.

In some places there's CDMA mobile broadband rather than GSM.

It's pretty hard to get far from a McDonalds unless you're somewhere pretty
remote, and they claim that all branches have WiFi now...

I've always found that even if you do get to the end of the road there's
usually a cyber cafe within a couple of miles of wherever you are unless
you're somewhere remote in Asia.

Not spent much time in the Highlands, have you?
Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike.....[_5_]

Following up to William Black

It's pretty hard to get far from a McDonalds unless you're somewhere pretty
remote, and they claim that all branches have WiFi now...

heehee we will see, this might be like The Horne trying to prove I could
take my trips by PT :-)

I've always found that even if you do get to the end of the road there's
usually a cyber cafe within a couple of miles of wherever you are

Lets try Unst?
The McDonalds store locator showed nothing for Shetland at all, so call
that three ferries to Aberdeen and 24 hours.
I wouldnt be surprised if there wasnt a WiFi signal at the Wild Bean Cafe
on Yell, its that sort of place, so thats just one ferry :-)

Wasdale Head?
Whitehaven, a 20 mile drive. But I can get a mobile signal by a three mile
drive and hold phone up in air...or climb a hill with the laptop, LOL!

Uist?
I weas shocked, I put in Uist and it gave a choice of three areas, but LOL
whichever one I picked it said no store LOL

Skye?
I'll let you guess :-)

I think its mobile!
--
Mike........
remove clothing to email
Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike.....[_5_]

Following up to S Viemeister

Not spent much time in the Highlands, have you?

:-)
--
Mike........
remove clothing to email
Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike.....[_5_]

Following up to Mike.....

The McDonalds store locator showed nothing for Shetland at all, so call
that three ferries to Aberdeen and 24 hours.

I was wrong
"http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:McDonalds_Bergen.jpg" :-)
--
Mike........
remove clothing to email
Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
William Black wrote:
"Mike....." wrote in message
. ..
i've never done this before, people talk about wifi, but i tend to go to
end of the road type places where i doubt its about much. Can you use a
web
aware mobile to feed data to a laptop?

Depends on where you are in the world.

In some places there's CDMA mobile broadband rather than GSM.

It's pretty hard to get far from a McDonalds unless you're somewhere
pretty remote, and they claim that all branches have WiFi now...

I've always found that even if you do get to the end of the road there's
usually a cyber cafe within a couple of miles of wherever you are unless
you're somewhere remote in Asia.

Not spent much time in the Highlands, have you?

Not many in the Kalahari either, or the Gobi come to that.

There are plenty of McDonalds in the Highlands and there's one on Lerwick.

Now the last time I was in the Western Ghats...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

Mike..... wrote:
[...]

Our wifi works at least to the end of the drive - but we don't provide
open access. Come to tea, and we'll even let you use the printer...
Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike.....[_5_]

Following up to William Black

There are plenty of McDonalds in the Highlands and there's one on Lerwick.

didnt come up for me, make it two ferries if there is one.
--
remove clothing to email