ATMs in Thailand

Old May 10th, 2004, 06:09 PM
elliot

Default ATMs in Thailand

We have had good experience with Citibank ATMs in Brazil but apparently
they are not in Thailand....anyone aware of American banks that offer
good ATM rates for debit cards, in Thailand?

Old May 10th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Miguel Cruz

elliot wrote:
We have had good experience with Citibank ATMs in Brazil but apparently
they are not in Thailand....anyone aware of American banks that offer
good ATM rates for debit cards, in Thailand?

My Citibank card has always worked well in Thailand. There are a few
Citibank machines but not many, but you'll get good rates at any machine.

miguel

Old May 11th, 2004, 06:46 AM
A Mate

??

An American card will access most ATM's in Thaiiland, nearly all of which
are owned and operated by Thai Banks!! Most are affiliated with Maestro,
Plus, Cirrus etc etc

It's the affiliations that matter - not who owns the machine. In most of the
world there are very few US Banks.

Old May 11th, 2004, 07:55 AM
RAK

"elliot" wrote in message
We have had good experience with Citibank ATMs in Brazil but apparently
they are not in Thailand....anyone aware of American banks that offer
good ATM rates for debit cards, in Thailand?

Why do you have to use an American bank? The cash dispensed by other banks
is just as good.

Old May 11th, 2004, 06:03 PM
elliot

perhaps I didnt explain well.
My experience with Citibank i n Brazil was using a citibanbk ATM the
exchange rate was great and with no additional charge.
and although my Citibank debit card will work I am unsure of how I will
be charged by ATMs other than Citibanks.
Citi allows 5 times a month,using other ATMs with no charge...but its
possible the bank owning the ATM will charge me

Old May 11th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Miguel Cruz

elliot wrote:
perhaps I didnt explain well.
My experience with Citibank i n Brazil was using a citibanbk ATM the
exchange rate was great and with no additional charge.
and although my Citibank debit card will work I am unsure of how I will
be charged by ATMs other than Citibanks.
Citi allows 5 times a month,using other ATMs with no charge...but its
possible the bank owning the ATM will charge me

No they won't. ATMs in banks in Thailand don't charge a fee. That's largely
an American habit.

miguel
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Alfred Molon

elliot wrote:
perhaps I didnt explain well.
My experience with Citibank i n Brazil was using a citibanbk ATM the
exchange rate was great and with no additional charge.
and although my Citibank debit card will work I am unsure of how I will
be charged by ATMs other than Citibanks.
Citi allows 5 times a month,using other ATMs with no charge...but its
possible the bank owning the ATM will charge me

I also have a Citibank account here in Germany and can withdraw money
abroad with no fees.
When I withdraw money abroad from another ATM there is a fee of 3.50
Euro, while the exchange rate is the same.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Austria, Budapest and
Portugal
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:10 AM
A Mate

The bank whose ATM you are using makes no charge. Your bank is the only one
which will charge. The exception is when using 'private' ATM's. They're
rare, even in the USA; I've never seeen one in Thailand.

When you use a foreign ATM the exchange rate you get is usually the
wholesale interbank rate for the day. In addition there's a commission of
between 1% and 3% depending on YOUR bank; and a fee YOUR bank may charge for
use of a foreign bank's ATM - Even so ATM's are nearly always better than
Traveller's Cheques and money changers.