Questions Regarding Norwegian & Carnival's Tipping Policies

Old January 30th, 2008, 01:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bob Delange

Default Questions Regarding Norwegian & Carnival's Tipping Policies

I have traveled quite a bit in my 78 years.Mostly by air, hotels,
etc,but we managed to take about a dozen cruises in between.Mostly
Celebrity or Royal Caribbean.I refuse on principal to have a gratuity
put on my bill anyplace.be it a restaurant, a hotel or a cruise
ship.That idea defeats the whole purpose of a tip in the first place.It
no longer is a voluntary recognition of superior service,but it simply
increases the cost of whatever commodity is involved.Indeed, some
institutions submit that in addition to the automatic add-on, additional
recognition will be apprciated. Indeed!.Unless we take a stand with
cruise ships doing this, it is only a matter of time before everyone who
provides any type of service will join in and we will find this charge
included in all hotels,restaurants, barbershops,taxis,bars, nightclubs,
you name it.I say stop it at its source....

Old January 30th, 2008, 03:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RICK DAVIS

In 21 completed cruises I altered my tip (cabin steward) once. When we
boarded our cabin was filthy. The filth included countertops not wiped
down from previous cruise, dirt, sand & dust on the shelves (it looked
like weeks worth of dust), clothes left under the bed, condoms left
behind in the nightstand, bathroom - well lets just say it wasn't clean.
Including towels replaced as new with obvious B O stench. We called the
Pursers desk to complain they sent the Cabin Steward and his boss and we
showed them everything. I asked that the cabin be fully cleaned right
down to changing the sheets on the beds. As I had my doubts that was
even done. During the week it didn't improve much. This was the
cruise I decided to carry Lysol Wipes on every cruise. Even after
speaking to the cabin steward twice (I gave him a couple of chances) I
gave him the tip his service deserved. I will say It wasn't the
recommended amount.
I had the pursers desk adjust it. This is where they wanted to know why
I was adjusting it. I told them. Then I told the head purser. They
adjusted it.

Old January 30th, 2008, 04:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

"Tom K" wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .

I don't see what is dishonest. They don't have automatic tips. The
default is paying tips with cash. As a convenience to many who wanted
to put the tips on their account rather than pay tips with cash they
have an optional opt-in method to do that. If you have the tips put on
your account you can still give and additional amount over that in cash
in the envelopes. And many do that.

The reciprocal of being honest about the tips is not to be dishonest,
but to be confusing. I think RCI's method is a kluge between the old
style tipping with cash at the end of the cruise and the service
charge type of tipping. I think that makes it unnecessarily
complicated.

It's not complicated at all.

You can either tip in cash, or if you find it more convenient, you can put
it on your on-board-account to be paid by credit card later. This
eliminates the need to worry about that extra cash all week.

Now... what's so complicated about that?

I just don't like the whole envelope thing that they do in lieu of
cash, and see no reason for it. If you give cash, you get the
envelope and give cash. If you pay by credit card, why do you need to
have an envelope and vouchers and the whole bit?

--Tom

Old January 30th, 2008, 04:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Charles wrote:

In article , Rosalie B.
wrote:

The reciprocal of being honest about the tips is not to be dishonest,
but to be confusing. I think RCI's method is a kluge between the old
style tipping with cash at the end of the cruise and the service
charge type of tipping. I think that makes it unnecessarily
complicated.

It is not complicated. And it is not a kludge. It was added as an
option beyond the traditional cash in envelopes method for customers
who asked for a way to put the charges on their account instead of
paying cash. It is a convenience for customers and it is optional.

And yes, you can give extra over the recommended amount, but you can't
adjust the tips downward unless you give all cash.

I don't see a problem with that. They came up with a simple way that is
not complicated to accommodate the request of some customers for a non
cash option. It is a way to do it without lines at the pursers desk and
having complicated book keeping. In twenty-eight cruises I have never
had a reason to tip less than the suggested amounts. Not once. But if
you feel like you need that option then tip with cash.

I have never tipped less than the suggested amount either (even when
service hasn't been that good), and have sometimes given more.
Although of course I have less cruises than you do.

But the time that you have to decide whether you want to tip with a
credit card is fairly early in the cruise. Do you know by then if you
are going to tip less in cash, and if you bring cash for tips,
expecting to tip less than the recommended amount, aren't you being
somewhat negative about the service that you expect?

It just seems to be that it would be better for the workers if people
were automatically charged for the tips, and if they wanted to tip
less that the pax should have to jump through some significant hoops
in order to do that including justifying what they were doing.

Old January 30th, 2008, 04:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

(Bob Delange) wrote:

I have traveled quite a bit in my 78 years.Mostly by air, hotels,
etc,but we managed to take about a dozen cruises in between.Mostly
Celebrity or Royal Caribbean.I refuse on principal to have a gratuity
put on my bill anyplace.be it a restaurant, a hotel or a cruise
ship.That idea defeats the whole purpose of a tip in the first place.It
no longer is a voluntary recognition of superior service,but it simply
increases the cost of whatever commodity is involved.Indeed, some
institutions submit that in addition to the automatic add-on, additional
recognition will be apprciated. Indeed!.Unless we take a stand with
cruise ships doing this, it is only a matter of time before everyone who
provides any type of service will join in and we will find this charge
included in all hotels,restaurants, barbershops,taxis,bars, nightclubs,
you name it.I say stop it at its source....

I'm not as old as you, but I've traveled quite a bit also.
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/

A tip is no longer a voluntary recognition of superior service in
restaurants or cruises. It is a way that businesses offload some of
their expenses on the customer. The problem with having the attitude
that you have is that it doesn't impact the business at all. It makes
no difference to them. The only people that are hurt are the workers
who have no power to change the system.

The most I will do in this regard is that if the restaurant puts an
automatic tip on the bill (usually 15%) I will not add to the tip, and
I usually tip 20%. So the worker loses by this, but only 5%. And
usually the type of restaurants that do this are the real fancy ones
with wine stewards etc, and the waiters make a good wage there anyway.
You don't find the local diner doing the automatic tip thing.
Old January 30th, 2008, 04:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Rosalie B. wrote:

I just don't like the whole envelope thing that they do in lieu of
cash, and see no reason for it. If you give cash, you get the
envelope and give cash. If you pay by credit card, why do you need to
have an envelope and vouchers and the whole bit?

There is still the feedback loop to the person and also a chance to
talk to them and thank them. I think giving them the voucher is just to
reinforce the fact that the money is tied directly to their actions. If
they get the money in one fell swoop, then I think there is a good
chance that you loose the cause and effect and some of the reasons to do
a good job.
Old January 30th, 2008, 04:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"Kurt Ullman" wrote

There is still the feedback loop to the person and also a chance to
talk to them and thank them.

If we receive good service from someone, we try to get them a gift to show
our appreciation. We had a great cabin steward and we found out that she
smokes Marlboro Lights so while on St. Martin, we bought her a carton. It
cost $11 and was well appreciated.

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

May 12, 2008 - 5 nt New Orleans http://www.cruisemaster.com/fantasy.htm
October 26, 2008 Sleazy 5 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy5.htm
Feb. 8, 2009 Solstice Valentine http://www.cruisemaster.com/solstice.htm

Old January 30th, 2008, 05:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RICK DAVIS

George, We also found out that liquor and wine can be taken by the crew
for their personal use. On several trips we found out that our cabin
stewards drank so we gave them liquor to have. They said that would cut
down on their expenses in the crew bar and it was just nice to have
access to a drink in their cabin.

Old January 30th, 2008, 05:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
"George Leppla" wrote:

"Kurt Ullman" wrote

There is still the feedback loop to the person and also a chance to
talk to them and thank them.

If we receive good service from someone, we try to get them a gift to show
our appreciation. We had a great cabin steward and we found out that she
smokes Marlboro Lights so while on St. Martin, we bought her a carton. It
cost $11 and was well appreciated.

Cool and thoughtful. But thevast majority of the feedback is still
in the tip. I also think that the voucher is a good way to do it. BTW: I
have never got around to asking, but which is easier for the person: The
voucher or changing all that money into something that can be wired or
sent home? How much does the cruiseline do in this regard?
Old January 30th, 2008, 06:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"RICK DAVIS" wrote

George, We also found out that liquor and wine can be taken by the crew
for their personal use.

On a Carnival cruise we stopped in Belize and our cabin steward was from
there. He wasn't going ashore but he told us his favorite beer was
"Belican" so we brought him back a 6-pack. No problem getting it through
security.