Help me choose

Old January 7th, 2008, 02:48 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Paul Krause

Default Help me choose

I've been on 6 cruises.

Planning a cruise with just my wife and me. No kids this time for our
30th anniversary.

Because of work schedules we can only go on one specific week and prices
are about double over the surrounding weeks, but we don't have a choice
when to go... just which ship, so we'll have to pay the price ( It is a
school vacation week for many, including my wife)

Our choices:

5 days Explorer of the Seas from Cape Liberty to Bermuda (two days in
Bermuda.

or

7 days on Norwegian Dawn to Bermuda

Both ships dock or anchor at King's Warf.
The NCL Dawn anchors for one day and the docks.

Have been on the Voyager of the Seas twice and enjoyed that class ship.
Have been on NCL's Spirit and enjoyed that.

We are leaning towards the 7 day cruise because of the extra days at a
slightly cheaper overall price.

Is this a good decision? Would like to hear from people who have been on
the Dawn.

Thanks,
Paul
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
sheree

will be on the dawn next month, i'll let you know. we've been on the
voyager as well!
dawn gets both good and bad from what i've seen! but for 2 extra days how
bad can it be!
sheree

news

Old January 7th, 2008, 01:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

On Jan 6, 9:48*pm, Paul Krause wrote:
[...]

We were on the Dawn a couple of years ago ... I really liked the lay-
out of the ship ... plenty of relaxing public places ... and ease
getting around ... Rooms were comfortable with plenty of storage
spaces ... and all the restaurants were fine ... the specialties very
good ... Even the buffet was better than usual ...
They should have a dine around option for Bermuda ... a good idea
allowing one to taste the local fare ... and not have to return to the
ship ... during time exploring the island ...
We had one problem though with some creaking during the night ...
probably new ship break in ... as I've not heard of others having the
same problem later ...

Here's the review from Sept. 2005 ...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...1d8cdfc56541e4

Old January 7th, 2008, 02:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RICK DAVIS

Paul, You have a difficult choice to make. Royal Caribbean is head and
shoulders above NCL Dawn IMO. Longer cruise or far better quality?
Since you have been on both and you don't mind NCL I would go with the
longer cruise.
Personally I would have a very hard time booking NCL over RC. But I
would also have a hard time booking 5 days over 7. Let us know what you
decide.

Old January 7th, 2008, 08:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca[_2_]

Tough decision. I have been on both of these ships, and the Explorer
was my favorite of the two. I would rather have a 7-day cruise than a
5-day cruise, but the Explorer has a lot more to offer.

Have you ever cruised on a Voyager class ship? If not, this would be
your chance. I would cruise for 5 days and use the other two days to
unpack and relax.

These are both nice ships, each one offering a different experience.
Let us know what you decide.

Becca
Old January 9th, 2008, 06:34 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake Paul Krause :

I've been on 6 cruises.

Planning a cruise with just my wife and me. No kids this time for our
30th anniversary.

Because of work schedules we can only go on one specific week and prices
are about double over the surrounding weeks, but we don't have a choice
when to go... just which ship, so we'll have to pay the price ( It is a
school vacation week for many, including my wife)

Have you looked at the price to fly to Miami or FLL? You may pay less
by doing this. RCI and NCL know they have you by the balls if you
want to sail out of NYC.

--
dillon

Always get off the first shot. You may hit him and
you're sure to throw off his aim. -- Lazarus Long
Old January 10th, 2008, 04:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"number6" wrote in message news:346ff7d1-e803-466d-a06e-
..

We were on the Dawn a couple of years ago ... I really liked the lay-
out of the ship ... plenty of relaxing public places ... and ease
getting around ... Rooms were comfortable with plenty of storage
spaces ... and all the restaurants were fine ... the specialties very
good ... Even the buffet was better than usual ...
They should have a dine around option for Bermuda ... a good idea
allowing one to taste the local fare ... and not have to return to the
ship ... during time exploring the island ...
We had one problem though with some creaking during the night ...
probably new ship break in ... as I've not heard of others having the
same problem later ...

LOL, Number 6...One person's "problem" is the exact opposite for another! I
have heard that creaking on several ships and enjoy lying in bed at night
while the ship gently rocks and creaks!

--Jean