Princess

Old June 17th, 2011, 07:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_3_]

Default Princess

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 01:03:12 -0400, Brian K wrote:

FYI Valium is physically addictive. You can get the same results with
over-the-counter Benedryl and wake up with clear sinus to boot. Just my
2-cents.

Brian

Then you take your OTC and I'll take Valium and then neither of us
will have a problem.

idiots - where in the hell do they come from?
--
http://www.scroogle.org/gifs/evo16.gif
Old June 17th, 2011, 09:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 6/17/2011 12:03 AM, Brian K wrote:
Janet Wilder wrote On 6/15/2011 9:08 PM:
On 6/15/2011 12:56 PM, Kenn Smith wrote:
I agree with Janet - take a lot of entertainment stuff with you, it is a
veeery long flight. (a sleeping pill might help.) On our Quantas flight
in November of 2009 it was a late night (11:15 PM) takeoff from LAX, 14
hours in the air and an early morning landing in Sydney. We had gotten
up early morning in Central Texas, driven to Austin, flew AUS-DFW-LAX,
had about a four hour layover and launched from LAX. By the time we
arrived at our Sydney we had been on the move for something like 30
hours. For a couple in their 70's that's a long stretch. I can sleep
soundly on an airplane but my wife can't -she catnaps.
It took her a little longer to recover from jet lag than it did me.

Would we do it again? You betcha! (to quote Sarah Palin) Our cruise
on the RSSC Mariner was the trip of a lifetime.

I remember how tired you both were from those flights. I travel with
Valium which I wash down with a little bottle of airplane wine. Knocks
me right out. I am a much better sleeper than I am a flier. g

FYI Valium is physically addictive. You can get the same results with
over-the-counter Benedryl and wake up with clear sinus to boot. Just my
2-cents.

Brian

Nonsense! I have had a prescription for Valium for years. I wind up
throwing bottles of it away because it has expired long before I've
taken most of the pills. The only time I take Valium is when I fly an
when I go to the dentist.

Benedryl, for me, is not a viable substitute.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old June 18th, 2011, 04:31 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 12:56:59 -0500, (Kenn
Smith) wrote:

I agree with Janet - take a lot of entertainment stuff with you, it is a
veeery long flight. (a sleeping pill might help.) On our Quantas flight
in November of 2009 it was a late night (11:15 PM) takeoff from LAX, 14
hours in the air and an early morning landing in Sydney. We had gotten
up early morning in Central Texas, driven to Austin, flew AUS-DFW-LAX,
had about a four hour layover and launched from LAX. By the time we
arrived at our Sydney we had been on the move for something like 30
hours. For a couple in their 70's that's a long stretch. I can sleep
soundly on an airplane but my wife can't -she catnaps.
It took her a little longer to recover from jet lag than it did me.

Would we do it again? You betcha! (to quote Sarah Palin) Our cruise
on the RSSC Mariner was the trip of a lifetime.

I'm more worried about me than about her on a long flight. Kids are
more resilient than old people. I can sometimes sleep on a flight
provided that my head can be supported so that the arthritis in my
neck isn't a problem. I have enough pills that I have to take not to
want any sleeping pills.

Her mother sent her brother with a bunch of electronic toys when he
went with me, so I am sure that she will be doing the same for this
one. I usually take a computer, but if I want to play games, I play
on that. I'm assuming we will go from LA to Sydney. My TA wants us
to spend some time in Sydney and then fly to Perth via Ayers Rock.
That would be ideal but I am not sure that I am up for it.

Old June 18th, 2011, 08:22 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RayC

On 6/17/2011 11:46 PM, peter wrote:

Tell the flight attendants her mother is a colleague of them (I don't know
whether they can figure out people flying with interline benefits, assuming
you or your granddaughter do so); they might give you or at least her
daughter favorable treatment.

This used to be a good recommendation in the good old days of flying
(pre 911) when the airlines were profitable but not so much anymore. The
crew gets the interline information on their passengers because, by the
rules, interline passengers are the LAST to get anything ... behind full
fare passengers. When they ask if you want a meal choice, interline
passengers are not allowed to pick the choice but just take whatever is
available.

The best bet is to just be nice and treat the flight attendants with
respect. They will go out of their way to make a nice customer more
comfortable if it in their power.

--

Ray
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Old June 18th, 2011, 03:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Thumper

Smith) wrote:

[...]

If I slept on a flight no one around me would because of my snoring.
My Cpap machine eliminates that in my bed at night.
Thumper
Old June 18th, 2011, 05:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

Smith) wrote:

[...]

I always travel with ear plugs. If there is a particularly loud snorer,
I ramp up the volume on my MP3 or the music on the plane's headphones.
Works for me.

Got my earplugs packed. Leaving for AMA river cruise in Russia soon.

Old June 18th, 2011, 11:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 10:01:42 -0400, Thumper
wrote:

If I slept on a flight no one around me would because of my snoring.
My Cpap machine eliminates that in my bed at night.
Thumper

They make portable battery-powered CPAP machines.

Might be a good idea on a cruise as well, given the number of recent
power failures on ships.

Old June 19th, 2011, 09:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Thumper

wrote:

If I slept on a flight no one around me would because of my snoring.
My Cpap machine eliminates that in my bed at night.
Thumper

They make portable battery-powered CPAP machines.

Might be a good idea on a cruise as well, given the number of recent
power failures on ships.

I know they have them but given the amount of room you have in a seat
it doesn't seem practical. Have you used one in a plane?
Thumper
Old June 19th, 2011, 11:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

wrote:

If I slept on a flight no one around me would because of my snoring.
My Cpap machine eliminates that in my bed at night.
Thumper

They make portable battery-powered CPAP machines.

Might be a good idea on a cruise as well, given the number of recent
power failures on ships.

I know they have them but given the amount of room you have in a seat
it doesn't seem practical. Have you used one in a plane?
Thumper

I bet you could if you were in first class or business class

Old June 20th, 2011, 05:18 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

wrote:

If I slept on a flight no one around me would because of my snoring.
My Cpap machine eliminates that in my bed at night.
Thumper

They make portable battery-powered CPAP machines.

Might be a good idea on a cruise as well, given the number of recent
power failures on ships.

I know they have them but given the amount of room you have in a seat
it doesn't seem practical. Have you used one in a plane?
Thumper

I don't use one. As Janet says, it would work in business or first.
Might work in Southwest coach, but probably not in the "traditional"
carriers.