which Europe guidebook is the best?

Old March 12th, 2004, 06:06 AM
A Mate

Default which Europe guidebook is the best?

It's a matter of which guide best serves your area(s) of interest.
Personally I prefer Lonely Planet.
Worst Guide book series - again IMHO is Let's Go!!!

"Tom Johnstone" wrote in message

"abdul rahim" wrote in message
om...
among let's go, lonely planet, and rough cut, which one is the best and

why?

A matter of preference of course, but I would avoid Let's Go. When I was
backpacking around Europe I could tell in about 10 minutes of conversation
whether someone else was following thr Let's Go guide, and then I could
usually predict where they were going next (" so... you're going to catch
the night train to Rome tomorrow at 5pm then?..."). So unless you're up

for
the ABC* tour, I'd use one of the other guides - but only as a source of
useful information - not as a recipe. The unexpected moments and places

are
what will make the trip memorable.

Tom

* Another Bloody Cathedral...

Old March 12th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Mark Fagan

no guide is THE best. You need to think about what your own requirements
are. I would not choose any of those for a driving trip, for example. I
suggest you choose the same city in each guide and compare them. See which
discusses what you're interested in best. Also, consider you have to carry
the thing with you, so heavy glossy paper with floor plans of museums that
you don't need are probably not worth the weight. That said, I still like
Michelin.

Old March 12th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Juliana L Holm

I tear out the sections I DO need and staple them and put them in a zip lock
bag.

--
Julie