Buying luggage in Bangkok

Old September 12th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Steve Kramer

Default Buying luggage in Bangkok

XOR wrote:

ANy suggestions for where in Bangkok to buy good (or at least decent)
quality luggage?

I know of the shops downstairs in NarayaPhand, and have bought some
things there before- relatively good quality. But I am now looking for
something very specific in size, and pretty much only have one day in
BKK to get it. So if they don't have what I need, I'm at a loss for
where else to go. Kind of would prefer cheaper than department store
prices, but am willing to pay abit more for quality if necessary.

Thanks!

Just about 100 meters along the back soi in front of the Baiyoke Suite
Hotel (not the Baiyoke Sky Tower. With your back to the hotel door, turn
right ) on the right side of the street. Very nice luggage at good
prices that are very flexible. I bought the largest hardside suitcase
they had, and have been using it constantly for the past five years to
carry heavy dive and camera equipment. It's scratched and marked, but
there are no dents or dings, has four very rugged clasps (two on the
front and one on each end, each one about 4cm long, not those little
thin latches) a good sealing rubber gasket, and a combination lock that
has never given up. I saw these same cases in various sizes.

Steve Kramer
Chiang Mai, Thailand
http://www.photoenvisions.com

--
"The voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new horizons,
but in seeing with new eyes." - Marcel Proust

Old September 13th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Brutor le Sanguinaire

Cheap, but irregular quality (which means, may be good, may be bad): on and
around Khao San. About same price, Robinson Department Store. The quality is
good, and great variety of choice.

--
PGå

Il est une triste vérité qu'il faut bien reconnait le vulgaire manque
d'instruction.

Old September 13th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Steve Kramer

XOR wrote:

Steve Kramer wrote in message ...
XOR wrote:

ANy suggestions for where in Bangkok to buy good (or at least decent)
quality luggage?

I know of the shops downstairs in NarayaPhand, and have bought some
things there before- relatively good quality. But I am now looking for
something very specific in size, and pretty much only have one day in
BKK to get it. So if they don't have what I need, I'm at a loss for
where else to go. Kind of would prefer cheaper than department store
prices, but am willing to pay abit more for quality if necessary.

Thanks!

Just about 100 meters along the back soi in front of the Baiyoke Suite
Hotel (not the Baiyoke Sky Tower. With your back to the hotel door, turn
right ) on the right side of the street.

Cool. I think I know exactly where you are talking about - (even
stayed at Baiyoke Suites once). Is that the same soi where if you
continue on you will go into the thick of the market, and eventually
come out onto Th Petchburi? There's a shop I have to go to there for
football (soccer) jerseys anyway.

That is the place!! Remember to bargain hard but bargain fair. While
they will quote you farang prices, they are in business to make a profit
too.

If you don't like what they have, turn left when you come out on the
main road, go to the corner and turn left again, and there is another
very large shop about 50 meters down on the left. A bit higher in price,
but an even larger selection.

Old September 13th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Tuuk

I know there is one shop on Sukumvit (spelling?) near the Nana station sky
train. Their store was full of what I thought was good quality luggage,
brief cases, carrying bags and all pretty good quality at good prices.
Good luck

om...

Old September 13th, 2003, 05:29 PM
Mark A

" Tuuk" wrote in message
I know there is one shop on Sukumvit (spelling?) near the Nana station sky
train. Their store was full of what I thought was good quality luggage,
brief cases, carrying bags and all pretty good quality at good prices.
Good luck

There are lots of luggage shops on Sukhimvit and the side Sois. You will
need to negotiate hard with them, because they will quote you the "farang"
price.

Old September 13th, 2003, 05:35 PM
XOR

XOR wrote:

[...]

That's good to know. What I need is fairly big - the standard 29" in
length but a bit bigger than avg in hieght (depth). I've seen soft
cases that have the extension, so that's what I'm hoping for - a
hardshell case must go inside.

I will check it out. And it's not far from Narayaphand, so can easily
walk to both (which is what I usually do anyway when I make my brief
stopovers in Bangkok!)

Khap Khun Ka!

X.
Old September 14th, 2003, 06:33 PM
VanOwen

"Mark A" wrote in message ...
" Tuuk" wrote in message
I know there is one shop on Sukumvit (spelling?) near the Nana station sky
train. Their store was full of what I thought was good quality luggage,
brief cases, carrying bags and all pretty good quality at good prices.
Good luck

There are lots of luggage shops on Sukhimvit and the side Sois. You will
need to negotiate hard with them, because they will quote you the "farang"
price.

fuk you mark you ****
bwahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!
Old September 15th, 2003, 02:39 AM
XOR

XOR wrote:

[...]

Excellent. I can kill two birds with one stone. Exactly the info I was
looking for! As for bargaining, my best Thai language skills come out
when bargaining . I am so-so in general conversation, but do pretty
well with shopping/bargaining talk (which then leads the seller to
turn the subject when the deal is done, thinking I can actually
*speak* Thai well!).

If you don't like what they have, turn left when you come out on the
main road, go to the corner and turn left again, and there is another
very large shop about 50 meters down on the left. A bit higher in price,
but an even larger selection.

Ok, good to know. I am pretty sure I have seen that place now.

Thanks