PHL: Possible New International Services

Old October 7th, 2003, 09:11 PM
Gene J. Yao

Default PHL: Possible New International Services

According to the September 2003 "Air Transport World", US Airways' CEO
Dave Seigel stated that he expects US to fly to 20 European
destinations from PHL (up from 10 today). I don't know whether by
"fly" he means service (as in via codeshare). Most likely it'll be
the later as US doesn't seem to have enough long-haul aircraft for
that and it's stated goal now is to be a "super-regional" airline.
Anyway, rumor has it that services to Glasgow and Stockholm are
in the works for 2004 with Glasgow being very likely. Zurich, Milan,
and Vienna are also being looked at. Don't know about the other 5.
However, back when US Airways was making the case for the new PHL
International Terminal in the 90's, they listed (in addition to some
of the above) Athens, Barcelona, and Tel Aviv (not technically a
European city, I know) as places they'd likely have service to once
the terminal was opened. I think its a safe bet Tel Aviv is out now,
however.
Looks like the investment in PHL's international terminal is
starting to pay off.
Old October 9th, 2003, 09:04 AM
ERIKG3

According to the September 2003 "Air Transport World", US Airways' CEO
Dave Seigel stated that he expects US to fly to 20 European
destinations from PHL (up from 10 today).

Alleghany flying to the Holy Land...

....who'd a thunk it?
Old October 9th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Ryan B

"ERIKG3" wrote in message
According to the September 2003 "Air Transport World", US Airways' CEO
Dave Seigel stated that he expects US to fly to 20 European
destinations from PHL (up from 10 today).

Alleghany flying to the Holy Land...

...who'd a thunk it?

The newly revamped PHL sucks big time. You need a pack mule to get from any
domestic concourse to the new international concourse "A". There are no
moving walkways and only a very limited bus service (only from "F" I think).
Coming from overseas into "A" you must hike a very long way to the other
concourses and THEN you must wait in line to again go through security. If
you have a tight domestic connection you could very well miss it if
immigration, customs and security is backed up which it usually is since all
European flights arrive at PHL about the same time. On top of all that
there are very few rest rooms near the food court area and after the long
walk and security ordeal you just might **** your pants. Other than that
it's a great improvement over the old PHL. Before building or revamping an
airport it should be required that you visit the new Torget (Oslo) airport.
From the sleek fast modern train from the city to your gate is a breeze.

Ryan

Old October 9th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Gene J. Yao

"Ryan B" wrote in message ...

The newly revamped PHL sucks big time. You need a pack mule to get from any
domestic concourse to the new international concourse "A". There are no
moving walkways and only a very limited bus service (only from "F" I think).

I agree. I think the Terminal F shuttle is run by US Airways
Express within the secured portion of the airport, so that would
explain why it doesn't stop at Terminals D and E (which are not US
Airways terminals). I think there is a regular shuttle, however, that
does stop at each of the terminals and then goes to the parking lot so
that shuttle can be used to transit between the terminals (it needs to
be better marketed as such).

Coming from overseas into "A" you must hike a very long way to the other
concourses and THEN you must wait in line to again go through security.

Between Terminal A and Terms D and E yes. I don't think there's a
secured connection and you have to exit the International terminal (A)
and then go abck though security to get a conencting flight at D and E
(I think the Termianl F shuttle operated by US Airways allows a
secured connection between A and F). Then again, this seems to be the
case with a lot of airports. I've had many an anxious moment at LAX
and ORD due to havign to exit a secured area and then re-enter to get
a connecting flight.

If you have a tight domestic connection you could very well miss it if
immigration, customs and security is backed up which it usually is since all
European flights arrive at PHL about the same time.

As for immigrations, I think its getting alot better. PHL has
over 50 immigration booths and the last time I was there the airport
had just received several US Airways A330s as well as my LH 767 but
they had almost all of the booths operational and things were moving
quickly and smoothly. I think when they first opened the Intl. Term
they didn't have as many immigrations officers and only a few of the
booths were open. My main complaint would be luggage since it took
forever for my luggage to get onto the belt (this was a rare case of
my being able to actually clear immigrations before my luggage got
out). That would be annoyin for those who have to make connecting
flights.

On top of all that
there are very few rest rooms near the food court area and after the long
walk and security ordeal you just might **** your pants. Other than that
it's a great improvement over the old PHL. Before building or revamping an
airport it should be required that you visit the new Torget (Oslo) airport.
From the sleek fast modern train from the city to your gate is a breeze.

Actually I believe there is a rest room before going through
immigrations. There's also rest rooms once you clear customs.
Old October 13th, 2003, 08:24 PM
Gene J. Yao

I just noticed that LH has moved over to one of US Airways' gates in
the new Terminal A-West - a visible sign of the new LH-US partnership.