OT - Cancun

Old January 26th, 2008, 01:36 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada
Bert Hyman

Default OT - Cancun

In "Newby"
wrote:

I was not aware of the rec.travel.latin-america newsgroup. Thanks for
the info. and the tip.

I aim to please, but sometimes I hit London.

Ooops. Sorry, wrong joke.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old January 26th, 2008, 01:40 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada
BrianK

On 1/25/2008 11:56 AM sue mullen did the "neutron dance", then made
these writings:

Newby wrote:
"sue mullen" wrote in message

Newby wrote:
Might be traveling to Cancun later this year, June or July. Is it

advisable
to rent a car or depend on local transportation? If I go, I would
like

visit Mayan ruins. Any recommendations as to which to see?
If you are going from a cruise, I would do a cruise ship excursion so
you will be sure the ship won't leave without you. If you are
staying in
Cancun I would rent a car so you can come and go as you please.

sue

Thanks. Not going from a cruise, that's why I posted OT. Didn't
know if
renting a car in Mexico would be a smart thing to do...or not to do.

If we hadn't been part of a very large group, we would of rented a car
to see the ruins. As others have said, be sure you accept the
insurance and you should be fine.

sue

A few key tips: Do the rental while you are home. The rates, will be a
little bit lesser. Make copies and duplicate copies of your rental
paperwork. You may need to show them a copy of your car rental
paperwork. The reservation information sometimes gets "lost" or is
different than what you contracted for.

Left turns are very different than executed in most US states. Be sure
that your on site rental agent explains it to you. Basically, you
signal for a left turn. If there are cars behind you, or oncoming -
move to the farthest right lane or shoulder and let them all pass. Only
when the coast is clear in all directions may to move back to the left
turn position and execute your turn.

Topes or Speed bumps. They go down instead of up. It's like a "U" in
the road. In rain they can fill up with water obscuring how deep they
may be. At night they aren't always clearly marked. Hit one too fast
and you can loose your suspension. Try to make mental notes of topes
location while driving in daylight.

The highway from Cancun to Chechen Itza is safer then taking local
roads. Avoid driving at night if you can. Many poorer rural Mexicans
will drive without headlights. Also, at night you may encounter
livestock, or even a puma on the roads once you are away from the city.
Trust me you don't want to be in a fender bender in Mexico. In Mexico,
you are guilty until you can prove your innocence. You are required to
remain in Mexico until the claims of both parties in an auto accident
have been settled. That's why it's so important to take the rental
agency's insurance. The agency will do everything that they can to keep
you out of jail and let you go home.

Happy and safe driving. Remember, watch out for those topes!

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old January 26th, 2008, 02:44 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada
Charles[_1_]

In article , Newby
wrote:

Thanks. Not going from a cruise, that's why I posted OT. Didn't know if
renting a car in Mexico would be a smart thing to do...or not to do.

Thanks for your suggestion.

There are lots of bus tours available to Chitzen Itza. I suggest
leaving the driving to others. It is a long way. The driver will point
out what you are seeing on the way there. The tour will provide a guide
on the site. They will stop for lunch, which was included on the tour I
took. It will be hot at Chitzen Itza. You will be spending several
hours in the sun. You will be tired after doing the ruins. On a bus on
the way back you can relax. And they will have beer and soda available
if it is like the tour I went on. Your hotel probably has an
arrangement with a tour operator.

--
Charles
Old January 26th, 2008, 02:56 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada
Joseph Coulter[_3_]

BrianK wrote in news:13pl0bhb3866c72
@corp.supernews.com:

Topes or Speed bumps. They go down instead of up. It's like a "U" in
the road. In rain they can fill up with water obscuring how deep they
may be. At night they aren't always clearly marked. Hit one too fast
and you can loose your suspension. Try to make mental notes of topes
location while driving in daylight.

Topes can also be pretty darn high speed bumps hit one too hard and you
will hit your head.

Trust me you don't want to be in a fender bender in Mexico. In

Mexico,
you are guilty until you can prove your innocence. You are required

remain in Mexico until the claims of both parties in an auto accident
have been settled. That's why it's so important to take the rental
agency's insurance. The agency will do everything that they can to

keep
you out of jail and let you go home.

Happy and safe driving. Remember, watch out for those topes!

AMEN!

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Old January 26th, 2008, 07:22 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada
Mr. Travel

Default Cancun

Newby wrote:
"Joseph Coulter" wrote in message
. 97.136...

"Newby" wrote in
:

Might be traveling to Cancun later this year, June or July. Is it
advisable to rent a car or depend on local transportation? If I go, I
would like to visit Mayan ruins. Any recommendations as to which to
see?

Thank you for any help.

Mexico has greater liability issues, do (it is mandatory) take all the
insurance they will sell you. Driving isn't so bad but you don't wnat to
have trouble in Mexico. I would rent for the day and go to the ruins (it
is what I did) and not have a car most of the time. Beware free car
rental in Cancun it is all about (as are all freebies in Cancun) time
share.

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Thanks for the info.

It is NOT mandatory to take all of the insurance.
In fact, if you credit card is primary for foreign locations, that would
be enough for most people.

I always rent a car for RM. I wouldn't stay in Cancun.
I would especially recommend it over a bus for visiting the ruins,
especially Coba.

Cancun is full of American teenagers looking for alcohol.

If bars full of teenagers is not the scene for you, I recommend not
staying in Cancun.
Old January 26th, 2008, 03:28 PM posted to rec.travel.air, rec.travel.cruises, rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada
LeeNY

On Jan 25, 10:10 pm, Larry in AZ
wrote:

Always take a bus tour if one is offered, particularly if it's going to be a
tiring day as stated above.

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. Big tour groups work for
some, but many of us find them unpleasant. I just don't get my jollies
out of parading around ancient ruins with 60 complete strangers. I'd
much rather go it alone. I bet the OP might be able to arrange for a
private tour from Cancun, if making the trip on his own exceeds his
comfort level. It'll probably cost, but it would be worth it to me,
not to have to travel in a stuffy crowded bus and then have to tour as
a large group once at my destination.

It's all about an individual's comfort level. But, to say "always", as
in "always take a bus tour if one is offered" might work for you, but
not for everyone.
Old January 26th, 2008, 03:53 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada
Bert Hyman

In

LeeNY wrote:

On Jan 25, 10:10 pm, Larry in AZ
wrote:

Always take a bus tour if one is offered, particularly if it's going
to be a tiring day as stated above.

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. Big tour groups work for
some, but many of us find them unpleasant.

Just because you got there on a bus doesn't mean you have to stay with
the group. Just make sure you know where and when to find the bus to
return.

If the other services offered in the package make it worth the
additional price over public transportation, it's certainly something to
consider.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old January 26th, 2008, 04:17 PM posted to rec.travel.air, rec.travel.cruises, rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada
LeeNY

On Jan 26, 9:53 am, Bert Hyman wrote:

If the other services offered in the package make it worth the
additional price over public transportation, it's certainly something to
consider.

I never said it wasn't something that should be considered. I took
issue with the "Always take a bus tour if one is offered, particularly
if it's going to be a tiring day as stated above. " statement made by
Larry in AZ.

Bus tours don't work for all. They're very rarely my best option. But,
again, it all depends on so many circumstances. I just don't see how
making a blanket statement like Larry did is particularly constructive
to someone planning a trip.
Old January 27th, 2008, 12:56 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan S[_1_]

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 06:28:36 -0800 (PST), LeeNY
wrote:

On Jan 25, 10:10 pm, Larry in AZ
wrote:

Always take a bus tour if one is offered, particularly if it's going to be a
tiring day as stated above.

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. Big tour groups work for
some, but many of us find them unpleasant. I just don't get my jollies
out of parading around ancient ruins with 60 complete strangers. I'd
much rather go it alone. I bet the OP might be able to arrange for a
private tour from Cancun, if making the trip on his own exceeds his
comfort level. It'll probably cost, but it would be worth it to me,
not to have to travel in a stuffy crowded bus and then have to tour as
a large group once at my destination.

It's all about an individual's comfort level. But, to say "always", as
in "always take a bus tour if one is offered" might work for you, but
not for everyone.

I'm in the process of planning a trip arriving in Cancun in
April and departing a week later from Mexico City.

I won't be driving. I'll be using local first-class buses
(when possible) to get around Yucatan and possibly local
airlines to get to Mexico City. Mian interest is Ancient
sites and colonial sites, but also all the normal tourist
things for a once-off tourist.

I'm also posting occasionally in r.t.l-a but I'd appreciate
any suggestions from people here.

I'm not a backpacker, just a 60yo wanderer, so I do look for
some of the creature comforts these days (see the blog:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Old January 27th, 2008, 01:28 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada
John Kulp

I would suggest you use www.hotwire.com where you can in Mexico such
as Cancun. You generally can get quite good deals there for lodging.

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 10:56:26 +1100, Alan S wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 06:28:36 -0800 (PST), LeeNY