PLS HELP: use of tickets with connection

Old September 25th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Derek F

Default PLS HELP: use of tickets with connection

And when they did their head count on the plane there would be a missing
passenger.
Derek.
"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message

"Usuario Invitado" wrote in message
Please, help me in that question:

If in the return trip I do not use the ticket from Athens to Milan,
because I arrive to Milan by another mean, does the airline
automatically cancel my ticket Milan-Madrid?

Yes.. Unless (theres always an unless) you are flying with a low cost
carrier or your Milan-Madrid ticket is booked entirely seperately from

your
Athens-Milan ticket

This is what my travel
agent claims, since according to the company, if I miss the first
flight, I cannot take the second connection.

It's called hidden city ticketing I believe. Not permitted.

If that's right, I imagine following trick:

A friend, who will fly the same schedule Athens-Milan-Madrid, would make
the check-in in Athens for me and for himself (I would give him an ID),
and get my boarding passes for the two flights.

How would he make the checkin for you and himself? The checking agent will
want to see you in person, not just your ID!

Then I would not take
the first flight in Athens (obviously I would be already in Milan).We
would meet in Milan and my friend would give me the boarding card for
the flight Milan-Madrid

He wouldn't be able to obtain the boarding card, you have to be there in
person, with your ID.

and I would take the plane.
Would in this instance the airline cancel my second boarding card,
because I did not use the first one?

Yes. But anyway, you wouldn't be able to get a boarding card.

Well, I would appreciate any enlightenment on that subject.

My advice would be to book your segments seperately. Book Madrid-Milan
return on one ticket, then book Athens-Milan on another ticket, and if
necessary don't use the return portion of that. You will not be able to

have
your baggage checked through or get boarding passes at your origin so make
sure you leave enough time for your connection.

Old September 25th, 2003, 08:10 PM
Malcolm Weir

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 20:02:50 +0300, Binyamin Dissen
wrote:

[ Snip ]

no, I do not have an ethical problem with
using just part of a purchased service.

What Mr. Dissen meant to write is:

"I do not have an ethical problem with lying to obtain preferential
pricing when purchasing a service".

Malc.
Old September 25th, 2003, 08:37 PM
Binyamin Dissen

wrote:

: no, I do not have an ethical problem with
:using just part of a purchased service.

:What Mr. Dissen meant to write is:

:"I do not have an ethical problem with lying to obtain preferential
:pricing when purchasing a service".

No, Mr. Dissen meant what he wrote: "I do not have an ethical problem with
using just part of a purchased service."

Exactly where is the lying that you assert?

What promises do you typically make during a ticket purchase?

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old September 25th, 2003, 09:08 PM
mrtravel

wrote:

: no, I do not have an ethical problem with
:using just part of a purchased service.

:What Mr. Dissen meant to write is:

:"I do not have an ethical problem with lying to obtain preferential
:pricing when purchasing a service".

No, Mr. Dissen meant what he wrote: "I do not have an ethical problem with
using just part of a purchased service."

Exactly where is the lying that you assert?

What promises do you typically make during a ticket purchase?

You and the airline agree to the rules regarding the tariff you bought
the ticket under. These rules state that you fly the segments in the
order they are booked and that you fly all segments.

Old September 25th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Binyamin Dissen

: wrote:

: : no, I do not have an ethical problem with
: :using just part of a purchased service.

: :What Mr. Dissen meant to write is:

: :"I do not have an ethical problem with lying to obtain preferential
: :pricing when purchasing a service".

: No, Mr. Dissen meant what he wrote: "I do not have an ethical problem with
: using just part of a purchased service."

: Exactly where is the lying that you assert?

: What promises do you typically make during a ticket purchase?

:You and the airline agree to the rules regarding the tariff you bought
:the ticket under. These rules state that you fly the segments in the
:order they are booked and that you fly all segments.

I make no such promise. Perhaps you do?

Sometimes I toss the tickets.

Old September 25th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Hatunen

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:23:56 GMT, "George Greene"
wrote:

mrtravel wrote in message news:tXHcb.9506
You and the airline agree to the rules regarding the tariff you bought
the ticket under. These rules state that you fly the segments in the
order they are booked and that you fly all segments.

The airline may be agreeing to those rules, but I am NOT agreeing, not
what how you wish to interpet things

Oh, you are agreeing, at least legally, and it is an enforceable
contract. That fact that you have your fingers crossed when
making the agreement doesn't legally absolve you of the
agreement, nor does the fact that you can frequently get away
with violating the agreement, as when a round trip ticket from At
to C through B costs less than a oneway ticket from A to B, and
you simply toss the rest of the ticket on arriving at B. The
airline's recourse is negligible, whether legally enforceable or
not.

The airline's recourse is not negligible should you wish to use
the ticket from B to C because the RT A to C is cheaper; failure
to show up for the leg from A to B will result in automatic
cancellation of the leg from B to C (as well as the return trip).

Old September 25th, 2003, 09:57 PM
Juliana L Holm

In rec.travel.europe Binyamin Dissen wrote:
I make no such promise. Perhaps you do?

Actually, Legally you do, as when you buy a ticket you are buying a
contract of carriage, and by implication accepting the restrictions
associated with the fares. I have no doubt that people get away with
using only part of tickets, but if you do not abide by the contract of
carriage, then the airline has a legal right to refuse you boarding on
a later segment.

Sometimes I toss the tickets.

I have no problem with this. If you are denied boarding some day because
you tossed an earlier portion of a ticket, though, I would not be shocked.

Julie
--

**********
http://www.dragonsholm.org/travel.htm
Old September 25th, 2003, 10:13 PM
Miguel Cruz

mrtravel wrote:
Binyamin Dissen wrote:
What promises do you typically make during a ticket purchase?

You and the airline agree to the rules regarding the tariff you bought the
ticket under. These rules state that you fly the segments in the order
they are booked and that you fly all segments.

It says that he will fly all segments, or otherwise they will cancel any
remaining segments and reserve the right to take other sanctions such as
billing him back.

So long as he accepts those terms, I don't see where he's breaking any
promises.

In a soccer game, if you intentionally kick the ball outside the boundaries,
thus allowing the opposing team a throw-in, have you cheated? No, you've
made a strategic decision within the parameters of the game. Everyone knew
it was a possibility you'd kick it out, and they hedged their bets
accordingly.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.

Old September 25th, 2003, 11:20 PM
Hatunen

wrote:

[...]

If the airlines were so sure it is indeed enforceable, surely they would
try their best to have it tested in court? Until then, I'll take the view
that these rules are not enforceable, so these parts of the CoC are not
part of the contract.

"Enforceable" doesn't mean "worth enforcing".