Mastercard ATM problems: Warning!

Old May 25th, 2004, 02:54 AM
Madonna

Default Mastercard ATM problems: Warning!

JohnT wrote:
If the US 800 number is, for example, 1-800-123-4567 then from the UK one would
dial the international access code 00 then the Country code 1 then the number
excluding the US long-distance access code. Thus I would dial 00 1 800 123 4567.
Often there will be a recorded announcemebt saying that the call is chargeable,
and then it is connected.

Thank you for the clear answer.
That's the information I was trying to get.

Old May 27th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Hideo

And what about Asia/Australia/... can you dial US or Canadian 800
numbers from Nepal or Japan?

You can dial 800 numbers in Japan, but it is NOT free.

Old May 29th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Tam

Miguel Cruz wrote in message ...
Madonna wrote:

Tom Bellhouse wrote:

My card was blocked in Turkey. I was able to call
the 800 number on the back of the card, identify
myself, explain that it was "really me" in Turkey,
and get the block lifted. Much easier to d it
before leaving home, tho.

Since when do 800 numbers work in Turkey?

Why wouldn't it? They work pretty much everywhere else in Europe.
Just dial 001 first.

Some 800 numbers (national ones, anyway) can be called from overseas.
Only 00800 numbers are free. Certain 800 numbers only work from a
specific state or region, and would be ambiguous if called from
overseas, even on a paying basis.

Of course if you are a vonage.com subscriber, with access to the
Internet while traveling ...

I periodically get letters from AT&T Universal regarding overseas
purchases -- even from US military facilities. Also, cards that work
everywhere else sometimes don't work in France, apparently because
their chip + PIN system means that they lack the full redundancy of
other systems (apparently the data are recorded twice on the magnetic
strip of cards). This problem may be coming to a place near you as
chip + PIN expands, as it is to the UK now.
Old May 31st, 2004, 04:44 AM
michael thomas

Compass Bank refuses to issue a plain ATM card without an extra fee.

They will issue a visa debit card that can be used in ATMs. But if lost
your bank account can be depleted by the "charges" on the card.

If ATM is refusing to work you may be able to go inside during banking
hours and get "cash advance".

I can recommend BankofAmerica. They issue plain ATM card on request (no
chance for thief to run up charges) and they have ATM Global Alliance
partners in some countries that do not charge ATM fees.