London Waterloo to Oxford

Old March 14th, 2006, 10:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default London Waterloo to Oxford

Hi,

Could some kind soul suggest the most efficient train connection to make
(or point me to the appropriate rail company website): arriving London
Waterloo via Eurostar from Brussels mid-morning weekday, to connect to
Oxford.

Thanks,

Rob (in Brussels)
Old March 14th, 2006, 10:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Robert Clark writes:

Hi,

Could some kind soul suggest the most efficient train connection to
make (or point me to the appropriate rail company website): arriving
London Waterloo via Eurostar from Brussels mid-morning weekday, to
connect to Oxford.

Tube to Paddington, train to Oxford. You can get a ticket at
Waterloo, or book over the web, to handle the whole trip in one (1)
unless anyone knows different.

http://www.thetrainline.com/ will tell you and sell you the
necessaries, any which way.

Des
Old March 15th, 2006, 08:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Des Small wrote:
Robert Clark writes:

Hi,

Could some kind soul suggest the most efficient train connection to
make (or point me to the appropriate rail company website): arriving
London Waterloo via Eurostar from Brussels mid-morning weekday, to
connect to Oxford.

Tube to Paddington, train to Oxford. You can get a ticket at
Waterloo, or book over the web, to handle the whole trip in one (1)
unless anyone knows different.

http://www.thetrainline.com/ will tell you and sell you the
necessaries, any which way.

Alternatively, you can take a train from London Waterloo to Reading (every
30 mins, taking about 1hr 20 mins), then change platforms to catch another
train running via Reading to Oxford. This is liable to take about 20 mins
longer overall, but involves minimal walking distance. Through tickets are
certainly available (see eg. www.nationalrail.co.uk , click on 'more journey
planner search options' and enter 'Ascot' in the 'via' box ).

Regards,

- Alan (in Brussels)

Old March 15th, 2006, 11:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

David Johnstone wrote:
Could some kind soul suggest the most efficient train connection
to make (or point me to the appropriate rail company website):
arriving London Waterloo via Eurostar from Brussels mid-morning
weekday, to connect to Oxford.

I realise you asked specifically for a train, but probably most
locals would tell you that the coach is faster and cheaper. It
arrives more centrally in Oxford too. There is a very good service
from London Victoria with two rival companies:-

http://www.oxfordtube.com/
http://www.oxfordbus.co.uk/espress1.shtml

The coach may be cheaper, but it's certainly not faster. Coaches depart
from Victoria and take around 100 minutes, longer in rush hours. Direct
trains from Paddington take 55 minutes, or just over an hour with a
change at Reading. The time to get from Waterloo to either Victoria or
Paddington is about 15 minutes.
--
Richard J.
www.stayparis.net

Old March 15th, 2006, 12:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

The coach may be cheaper, but it's certainly not faster. Coaches depart
from Victoria and take around 100 minutes, longer in rush hours. Direct
trains from Paddington take 55 minutes, or just over an hour with a
change at Reading. The time to get from Waterloo to either Victoria or
Paddington is about 15 minutes.

Thanks for the correction as to actual journey times. You're
certainly right about rush hours, I've sat in traffic on that route
a few times. Should be ok though mid-morning on a weekday,
when the OP is arriving.

The other factor though is the frequency. During the day
there is a coach every 5-10 mins., whereas (I imagine,
haven't checked) you would likely have to wait some time
for a train.

Paddington is also a good bit further than Victoria from
Waterloo. I doubt very much if you could do it in 15 minutes
by tube.

Victoria (coach station, not underground, I should have said)
is about 2km from Waterloo and without heavy luggage could
easily be walked. Otherwise there is very likely a direct bus
which would be quicker than underground. Quite a nice stretch
too, over the Westminster Bridge, past the Houses of Parliament
and Big Ben.

Also to get into the centre of Oxford you have an extra 10 min
walk or so from the train station, whereas the coach station at
Gloucester Green is very central.

It depends on several factors what is the best - anyway, the OP
has the issues here and can decide.

David

Old March 15th, 2006, 12:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Des Small" wrote in message
Robert Clark writes:

Hi,

Could some kind soul suggest the most efficient train connection to
make (or point me to the appropriate rail company website): arriving
London Waterloo via Eurostar from Brussels mid-morning weekday, to
connect to Oxford.

Tube to Paddington, train to Oxford.

Specifically, Bakerloo Line, direct from Waterloo to Paddington with no
changes. At Paddington, there are plenty of trains to Oxford. Only one thing
to watch out for, if you are in a hurry, is ensuring that the first train
leaving for Oxford will be the first to arrive. (e.g. A train leaving at
10.15 calling only at Slough and Reading would arrive before one leaving at
10.00 calling at Ealing Broadway, Southall, Hayes, West Drayton, Iver,
Langley, Slough, Burnham......)

Alan Harrison

Old March 15th, 2006, 01:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Paddington is also a good bit further than Victoria from
Waterloo. I doubt very much if you could do it in 15 minutes
by tube.

Sorry, I take that back... I see from Alan's post and looking at
the tube map more closely that you don't have to change. It's
probably just about possible in 15 mins with a bit of luck.
Also the direct trains are half-hourly, perhaps train is not such
a bad option - probably is more expensive though.

David

Old March 15th, 2006, 06:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

London Underground Bakerloo Line to Paddington.

Train from there to Oxford. www.nationalrail.co.uk or
www.thetrainline.com

PJW

Old March 15th, 2006, 06:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"David Johnstone" wrote in message
ups.com...
The coach may be cheaper, but it's certainly not faster. Coaches depart
from Victoria and take around 100 minutes, longer in rush hours. Direct
trains from Paddington take 55 minutes, or just over an hour with a
change at Reading. The time to get from Waterloo to either Victoria or
Paddington is about 15 minutes.

Thanks for the correction as to actual journey times. You're
certainly right about rush hours, I've sat in traffic on that route
a few times. Should be ok though mid-morning on a weekday,
when the OP is arriving.

The other factor though is the frequency. During the day
there is a coach every 5-10 mins., whereas (I imagine,
haven't checked) you would likely have to wait some time
for a train.

Fast trains run at 30 minute intervals IRC

Paddington is also a good bit further than Victoria from
Waterloo. I doubt very much if you could do it in 15 minutes
by tube.

I dont , the distance is a little further but the Bakerloo line is
a direct link so you dont need to change trains and if
you check the timetable the journey time is 15 minutes

With luggage its MUCH easier to get to Paddington by tube from Waterloo
than to get to Victoria coach station which involves a change of
lines and walking some distance from the tube to the coach station

Victoria (coach station, not underground, I should have said)
is about 2km from Waterloo and without heavy luggage could
easily be walked. Otherwise there is very likely a direct bus
which would be quicker than underground.

Unless the traffic is heavy, which is not unusual and the chances are
a traveller arriving via Eurostar will have luggage and buses
really arent a good option if you have a couple of cases in tow.

Then you have to figure out which bus to get , a what a great
way to arrive in London - NOT !

Keith

Old March 15th, 2006, 07:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Paddington is also a good bit further than Victoria from
Waterloo. I doubt very much if you could do it in 15 minutes
by tube.

I dont , the distance is a little further but the Bakerloo line is
a direct link so you dont need to change trains and if
you check the timetable the journey time is 15 minutes

In that case you couldn't do it in 15 mins. It takes time to
get down to the platform, and the probability of a train
arriving instantly is small.

With luggage its MUCH easier to get to Paddington by tube from Waterloo
than to get to Victoria coach station which involves a change of
lines and walking some distance from the tube to the coach station

True.

David