recent trip to NZ

Old August 19th, 2006, 07:07 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
patty

Default recent trip to NZ

I just want to say thanks to everyone who gave me lots of advice on
planning my trip to NZ. I asked you alot of questions about road
conditions (they were excellent, no chains, even drove up to treble
cone and cardona), campervan in winter or not (we didn't, found super
values on www.wotif.com and highly recommend it to others traveling
anywhere!). Thanks for all your advice.

Our trip was July 29-Aug 9. We flew into Auckland, and connected to
Christchurch, and stayed in Christchurch. After a quick tour of city
center and cathedral we drove to Queenstown. On the way we started an
'o-wow' look at that which didn't stop until we hit Auckland the last
night. We did Milford Sound, skiied Cardona & Treble cone, saw the most
beautiful vineyard in the world at Rippon in Wanaka, walked Franz Josef
and Fox (the eateries in Franz Josef were the only disappointment.
After checking out each one we went into the market, bought stuff to
make our own sandwiches and had a picnic at the glacier parking lot).

Anyway, stayed in Hokitika, at this great beachfront chalet with only a
few shhep between our porch and the ocean.We bought Jade, drove to
Blenheim, toured four vineyards, ferry to picton, cruised throuh
Martinborogh and drove on to Napier, did a few more vineyards and
quickly on to Taupo, and Rotatoura. Taupo was a drive through, Huka
Falls was awesome. We started more '0-wow'ing' at the sight of our
first steam coming out of the ground. Then did several long walks
through the volcanic areas. Saw my first boiling mud, didn't get in any
of it but could see myself doing so under more informed circumstances.
Went to see a Maori ceremony and had a traditional dinner, with about
300 of our new best friends (LOL, wouldn't know how to contact even one
of them, tourists all of us).

The last day we drove up to Auckland and did the touristy things there
Space-needle stuff. and walked around some (husband's knee suffered a
bit on the slopes).

Anyway that's the quick and dirty version of 10 fantastic days. Thanks
for sharing your bit of paradise with two appreciative tourists from
Miami Florida. We were amazed, I don't think I have ever seen more
beauty and more friendly hospitable people.

Thanks again.
Patty

Old August 19th, 2006, 10:51 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Fred[_1_]

"patty" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Glad you enjoyed it; it's good to hear. Next time spend longer - you need
minimum 3 weeks in the Sth. Island (including a couple of days on Stewart
Island) and 2 weeks in the Nth Island. It may be a small country, but
there's a lot to see.

Fred - a totally non-biased South Islander (Dunedin)

Old August 20th, 2006, 05:12 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
patty

Fred,
We didn't even touch the south Island south of the diagonal bewteen CC
& QT. I absolutely agree we need to get down there I'd love to get over
to Stewart Island. We also missed the entire west coast of SI and never
went North of Auckland. We both are dying to get back, we like the
offseason, Winter was not cold , but maybe October or May.
Patty

Fred wrote:
ups.com...

Old August 20th, 2006, 10:00 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Fred[_1_]

"patty" wrote in message
ups.com...
Fred,
We didn't even touch the south Island south of the diagonal bewteen CC
& QT. I absolutely agree we need to get down there I'd love to get over
to Stewart Island. We also missed the entire west coast of SI and never
went North of Auckland.
Patty

Well - not really - Fox, Franz, Hokitika are all on the S.I. West coast.
(But you are right about cafes and restaurants in Franz Josef)

We both are dying to get back, we like the
offseason, Winter was not cold , but maybe October or May.

Well - it's not the Sahara, and certainly a little different than Florida,
but it's never that bad. (Says me, who has several decades of
acclimatising.)

Fred wrote:
ups.com...