Temperatures in Zermatt and St. Moritz?

Old June 1st, 2010, 09:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge121

Default Temperatures in Zermatt and St. Moritz?

Duh

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : ...
On 01/06/10 16:18, JohnT wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
On 01/06/10 10:55, Tom P wrote:
Tim C. wrote:
On Mon, 31 May 2010 20:10:11 -0700, Walt Bilofsky wrote in post :
:

What are typical daily summer temperatures in St. Moritz,
Switzerland?

Some web sites say the daily highs in St. Moritz are 8 to 11 C.
Others
say the high teens. I see similar discrepancies for Zermatt.

We are just going to be walking around in the towns. So what should
we be prepared for?

When? In the Summer in St. Moritz it can get up to 30C although
mid 20s
are more usual. Evenings tend to be quite cool.

I've been in a snow shower in Grindelwald in August. The weather in
the
Alps very much depends on the high pressure vs low pressure weather
systems.

Like most places, even in those countries which are partly below sea
level )

The Rain in Spain falls Mainly on the Plain!

My God he's got it!

Old June 1st, 2010, 09:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge121

Default Please get on with this thread martin is attempting the Guiness

....or maybe just bored...

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : ...
On 01/06/10 21:37, Walt Bilofsky wrote:
Martin wrote:

Average Zermatt temperature and rain fall figures are here
http://www.about.ch/geography/climate/zermatt.html
and here
http://www.world66.com/europe/switze...tt/lib/climate

It was sites like these that led to my original post.

The first site shows a June average for Zermatt of 10.2 degrees, and
12.7 degrees for July.

It is the monthly average temperature measured over 30 years (climate)
not the average maximum temperature.

The graph on the second site shows a June range of about 13 to 22, and
a July range of about 15 to 25.

Maybe measured over a shorter period?

They can't both be right, can they?

A good question.

Old June 1st, 2010, 10:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bart.c

Walt Bilofsky wrote:
Martin wrote:

Average Zermatt temperature and rain fall figures are here
http://www.about.ch/geography/climate/zermatt.html
and here
http://www.world66.com/europe/switze...tt/lib/climate

It was sites like these that led to my original post.

The first site shows a June average for Zermatt of 10.2 degrees, and
12.7 degrees for July.

Probably 24-hour average, not so useful.

The graph on the second site shows a June range of about 13 to 22, and
a July range of about 15 to 25.

They can't both be right, can they?

Try:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zermatt

which gives you 19C daily maximum for July.

19C is roughly halfway between 15C and 25C (15C seems too warm to be the
average minimum temperature at that altitude).

--
Bartc

Old June 1st, 2010, 11:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

Walt Bilofsky wrote:
Martin wrote:

Average Zermatt temperature and rain fall figures are here
http://www.about.ch/geography/climate/zermatt.html
and here
http://www.world66.com/europe/switze...tt/lib/climate

It was sites like these that led to my original post.

The first site shows a June average for Zermatt of 10.2 degrees, and
12.7 degrees for July.

The graph on the second site shows a June range of about 13 to 22, and
a July range of about 15 to 25.

They can't both be right, can they?

why not? You think both are wrong, or just one of them?

Old June 2nd, 2010, 01:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Smith

Walt Bilofsky wrote:
What are typical daily summer temperatures in St. Moritz, Switzerland?

Some web sites say the daily highs in St. Moritz are 8 to 11 C. Others
say the high teens. I see similar discrepancies for Zermatt.

We are just going to be walking around in the towns. So what should
we be prepared for?

How precise does this information have to be? Most information available
will deal with averages. FWIW, I was in Gimmelwald during mid July a
number of years ago. I had forgotten to take a jacket, and I sure could
have used it. It was cool and misty a lot of the time.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 02:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Walt Bilofsky

"bart.c" wrote:

Try:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zermatt

which gives you 19C daily maximum for July.

Thank you for a really helpful reply.

Although confused by all the contradictory web sites, I personally
find Wikipedia credible. And its climate charts for other Swiss
cities agree with Weatherbase ( http://www.weatherbase.com/ ) which I
have found useful.
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JuanElorza[_4_]

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 12:37:50 -0700, Walt Bilofsky wroteÂ*:

Martin wrote:

Average Zermatt temperature and rain fall figures are here
http://www.about.ch/geography/climate/zermatt.html
and here
http://www.world66.com/europe/switze...tt/lib/climate

It was sites like these that led to my original post.

The first site shows a June average for Zermatt of 10.2 degrees, and
12.7 degrees for July.

The graph on the second site shows a June range of about 13 to 22, and a
July range of about 15 to 25.

They can't both be right, can they?

Maybe the Swiss weather web site could help :

http://www.meteoschweiz.admin.ch/web/de/wetter.html

Climate : Average 10°C, low 6°C, high 18°C

http://www.meteoschweiz.admin.ch/web...tions/zer.html

Now I remember crossing Switzerland in July under a heavy rain, fog in the
mountain passes, and even snow falls, and ten days later crossing back under
hot sunny weather.