Yes, it's true: Starbucks is coming to Paris

Old December 25th, 2003, 09:34 PM
Mxsmanic

Default Yes, it's true: Starbucks is coming to Paris

And here is the photographic proof:

http://www.mxsmanic.com/testimages/starbucks.jpg

Note the Opéra Garnier in the distant background. The Starbucks is on
the Avenue de l'Opéra, a bit closer to the Louvre than to the Opéra
itself, though. It's right on the edge of the closest thing Paris has
to a "little Tokyo"--an area with lots of Japanese restaurants and a few
Japanese stores (including a Japanese supermarket right around the
corner).

Old December 26th, 2003, 04:18 AM
Mark Fagan

In Nice, I noticed that McDonald's served espresso, like every other cafe.
And people came to take out coffees to their work. So I guess it shows that
if you adapt to local culture, even France will accept you.

Old December 26th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Mxsmanic

Mark Fagan writes:

So I guess it shows that if you adapt to local culture, even
France will accept you.

Even if you don't adapt, France will accept you, as long as the culture
you sell is Hollywood American. Chevignon was successful for a long
time selling entirely made-up "American" clothing and other goods, even
though it was a French company. It sold the wannabe illusion that
appeals so much to the French.

Old December 26th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Jeremy Henderson

On 26/12/03 6:45 pm, in article ,
"Hatunen" wrote:

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 09:54:57 +0100, Earl Evleth
wrote:

On 26/12/03 8:34, in article
,
"Mxsmanic" wrote:

Mark Fagan writes:

So I guess it shows that if you adapt to local culture, even
France will accept you.

Even if you don't adapt, France will accept you, as long as the culture
you sell is Hollywood American. Chevignon was successful for a long
time selling entirely made-up "American" clothing and other goods, even
though it was a French company. It sold the wannabe illusion that
appeals so much to the French.

Gertrude Stein said "It was not what France gave you but what it did not
take away from you .. "

It still is a curious culture for Americans, they don`t understand
the uproar over the scarves, for instance, which ultimately a
mole hill dispute just as flag burning or homosexual marriages are in the
US. For each his own.

The realted problem in the USA not too long ago was whether Sikhs
could wear their turban in various duties., and whether Sikh
schoolboys can carry there religiously-required daggers to
school.

When I attended school in a large town in northern England there were a
number of boys who wore turbans. I don't recall it ever being a problem, or
even being remarked upon. But maybe the difference was that these boys were
well integrated into the society, whereas the scarf-wearers of Paris are
not. It seems to me that what is being attacked in France is a symptom,
whereas what should be attacked is the malady of non-integration itself.

J;