Car rental charges

Old March 23rd, 2007, 02:38 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.travel.usa-canada
aemeijers

Default Car rental charges

"SpammersDie" wrote in message

"The Etobian" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 00:34:55 GMT, "SpammersDie" wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote:
It's always fun to find out you just doubled your rental rate because
you returned the car early.

I've never had any problem renting for a week, and returning it a day or so
early- they just charge the daily or the weekly, whichever is lower overall.
I would never expect a refund on an early return, but I would get real
cranky if they tried to charge extra. If you run into a real dickhead
counter clerk, you could always just leave it locked in their lot, and mail
them the keys, timed to show up on day seven. Of course, 90% of my rentals
are at the govt. contract price, so the rules are likely different.

aem sends....

Old March 23rd, 2007, 02:45 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.travel.usa-canada
Steve[_6_]

"SpammersDie" wrote:
If rental companies let you off with a prorated weekly charge for returning
the car early, they'd soon have no daily renters. Everyone would just claim
they want to rent the car for weeks, then "oops! - our plans changed and we
have to return it after one day."

Pretty doubtful anyone would wanna pay a weekly rate for 1 day.

Most customers would be pretty shocked to return the car early and pay
a much higher rate. And you don't see the rental companies doing much
of anything to inform people of this possibility.

--

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.

....WC Fields
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:09 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"aemeijers" wrote:
I've never had any problem renting for a week, and returning it
a day or so early- they just charge the daily or the weekly,
whichever is lower overall. I would never expect a refund on
an early return, but I would get real cranky if they tried to charge
extra. If you run into a real dickhead counter clerk...

My rental contract was explicit -- the weekly rate would apply
only to rentals of 'x' days or more and if the vehicle was returned
in less than 'x' days, a daily (rack) rate of 'y would apply. Being
adept at arithmatic, I calculated that the cost of an early return
was cheaper than another day in a Nashville hotel. Thus, I
transferred some of the $$ that would have gone to the hotel, to
the rental agency. Had I had found that the extra cost was more
than the hotel, I might have stayed another day. =R=

Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:56 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.travel.usa-canada
Steve[_6_]

"SpammersDie" wrote:
Or you could just leave the situation as is and you pay the rates that were
disclosed up front according to the period for which you actually used the
car..

And the rental company could note in large print on the web and in the
forms that you will be penalized for returning the car early. That
way you could at least use this info for comparison purposes.

Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:22 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message
"SpammersDie" wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
.. .
"Dave" wrote:
It's always fun to find out you just doubled your rental rate because
you returned the car early.

Yup, I've seen that. You were on a weekly rate, but now you are suddenly
switched to a daily rate, and the total cost is twice as much as the
weekly
rate would have been . . .

And somehow they can't understand why a customer might be upset at
this.

A weekly rate (that's less than 7*daily rate) is a form of a volume
discount. Nothing unusual about that. You get a lower per-day rate in
exchange for guaranteeing that for the next week, the car will have no
non-revenue-generating days.

If rental companies let you off with a prorated weekly charge for returning
the car early, they'd soon have no daily renters. Everyone would just claim
they want to rent the car for weeks, then "oops! - our plans changed and we
have to return it after one day."

While true, I'd be happy to pay the full weekly rate and return it
early. This should be a business' wet dream, as they have the potential
to rent the vehicle to someone else in the mean time (but if they don't,
the only thing they are "out" is some extra wear and tear on the
vehicle)
--
Insert something clever here.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:22 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

This of course does NOT apply to foreign visitors to the USA who are NOT
covered by their private insurance and who damm well better take out
insurance.

Unless their insurance does cover them -- I'm covered by two insurance
packages right now, one is even good in some third world countries, both
would cover me anywhere in North America, and most of Europe.
--
Insert something clever here.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:38 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_2_]

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
In message "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

This of course does NOT apply to foreign visitors to the USA who are NOT
covered by their private insurance and who damm well better take out
insurance.

Unless their insurance does cover them -- I'm covered by two insurance
packages right now, one is even good in some third world countries, both
would cover me anywhere in North America, and most of Europe.
--
Insert something clever here.

I also have TRAVEL insurance that provides such cover but my
personal car policy offers no cover at all. Anyone who has purchased
specific travel cover is unlikely to need informing that they can
decline SLI

Keith

Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:11 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
.. .
In message "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

This of course does NOT apply to foreign visitors to the USA who are NOT
covered by their private insurance and who damm well better take out
insurance.

Unless their insurance does cover them -- I'm covered by two insurance
packages right now, one is even good in some third world countries, both
would cover me anywhere in North America, and most of Europe.
--
Insert something clever here.

I also have TRAVEL insurance that provides such cover but my
personal car policy offers no cover at all. Anyone who has purchased
specific travel cover is unlikely to need informing that they can
decline SLI

My two are included on my credit card, and my home-owner's insurance
(which combine to give me full coverage, although they overlap
significantly)
--
Insert something clever here.