dessert recipe

Old May 6th, 2008, 08:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_4_]

Default dessert recipe

On the Star Princess, one luncheon we had a dessert we really enjoyed.
I asked its name, and the waiter said it was something like "Balacutta
or Ballacutta." The dessert is about the consistency of jello, but
pure white and has a milky flavor. The waiter said it had no gelatin in
it, but was just made from milk, eggs and sugar.

I've tried Googling for the recipe, but obviously have an incorrect
spelling of the word and cannot come up with an alternative that
generates a hit. Do any of you all possibly know the correct name or
better yet, of a recipe?

--
Nonny

Nonnymus
Never believe a person who is
Drunk, Horny or Running for Office.

Old May 6th, 2008, 09:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
a.a.t.

PANNA COTTA

That is most probably the dessert you ate on the Star Princess, Mr.
Nonny.

I recognized your description when you wrote that it was "pure white".
Panna cotta does not have egg in it.

It is Italian....and the name translates to "cooked cream". And, that
is what it is, cream and sugar cooked with a slight bit of gelatin as
a thickener, etc.

I am sure you will be able to find recipes for Panna Cotta now that
you have the correct name and spelling. It is one of the easiest
desserts to make, and it is especially luscious with some sliced fresh
fruit on top, such as crushed fresh sweetened strawberries or sliced
mango and raspberries.

If you can't find a recipe, I'll be happy to post to you .....but, I'm
sure you will find a gazillion here on the web or in any Italian
cookbook.

ANGELICA

Old May 6th, 2008, 09:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Hey Tom,

Do you maybe mean Tembleque? They serve it in Puerto Rico. If so...

1-1/2 Cup Coconut Milk
1/7 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Cup Sugar
1/5 Cup Cornstarch
Ground Cinnamon

In a saucepan, combine coconut milk, salt, sugar and cornstarch. Cook over
medium to high heat until a soft consistency is reached, stirring
continuously with a wooden spoon to avoid lumps. Lower heat and cook for an
additional 5 minutes, stirring the mixture occasionally. Pour mixture into
a 1-liter square aluminum mold. Let mixture cool and refrigerate for 1-1/2
hours. Sprinkle powdered cinnamon over the chilled tembleque. Cut in
sections and serve.

--Tom

news

Old May 6th, 2008, 10:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tobie Gerbrandt

Hi Nonny

Barb says that dessert was probably Blank Mange (French for "White food, or
something like that).

She will send you the recipe privately. She's having trouble posting to rtc
for some reason.

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

news

Old May 6th, 2008, 11:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_4_]

Nonnymus wrote:
On the Star Princess, one luncheon we had a dessert we really enjoyed. I
asked its name, and the waiter said it was something like "Balacutta or
Ballacutta." The dessert is about the consistency of jello, but pure
white and has a milky flavor. The waiter said it had no gelatin in it,
but was just made from milk, eggs and sugar.

I've tried Googling for the recipe, but obviously have an incorrect
spelling of the word and cannot come up with an alternative that
generates a hit. Do any of you all possibly know the correct name or
better yet, of a recipe?

Thanks to all for the names and recipes. I was pretty sure I'd written
the name down phonetically correct, but my little hearing problem may
have munged things. The fellow did mention eggs, however, but he might
have been mistaken.

Old May 7th, 2008, 01:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
nekochan

I believe it's spelled 'blanc mange'

Old May 7th, 2008, 04:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 5/6/2008 6:08 PM Nonnymus plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and said:
Nonnymus wrote:
On the Star Princess, one luncheon we had a dessert we really
enjoyed. I asked its name, and the waiter said it was something like
"Balacutta or Ballacutta." The dessert is about the consistency of
jello, but pure white and has a milky flavor. The waiter said it had
no gelatin in it, but was just made from milk, eggs and sugar.

I've tried Googling for the recipe, but obviously have an incorrect
spelling of the word and cannot come up with an alternative that
generates a hit. Do any of you all possibly know the correct name or
better yet, of a recipe?

Thanks to all for the names and recipes. I was pretty sure I'd
written the name down phonetically correct, but my little hearing
problem may have munged things. The fellow did mention eggs, however,
but he might have been mistaken.

could be any number of things. Sounds sort of like Flan, or maybe Tres
Leches. One possibility for what you are writing as Ballacutta might be
Bella Cotta or maybe Bella Ricotta, the latter translating as beautiful
or good Ricotta cheese. But I don't know if that's correct.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera