Melbourne to Adelaide

Old January 16th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Piper

Default Melbourne to Adelaide

Hi...from Melbourne to Adelaide,is it quite compulsory catching a plane
because of the distance (maybe with Virgin Blue) or is it possible going
there by bus? Maybe with a couple stopovers in interesting places (such as??
I've already seen great ocean road,Port Fairy,Anglesea,Apollo Bay)....any
suggestions will be appreciate...also on Adelaide,what to see and what to
do...of course,tha main reason of my trip over there is Kangaroo Island!

Thanks
Veronica

Old January 16th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Richard

"Piper" wrote in
:

Hi...from Melbourne to Adelaide,is it quite compulsory catching a
plane because of the distance (maybe with Virgin Blue) or is it
possible going there by bus? Maybe with a couple stopovers in
interesting places (such as?? I've already seen great ocean road,Port
Fairy,Anglesea,Apollo Bay)....any suggestions will be
appreciate...also on Adelaide,what to see and what to do...of
course,tha main reason of my trip over there is Kangaroo Island!

Thanks
Veronica

The trip from Melbourne to Adelaide could be one of your highlights as it
covers the famed "Great Ocean Road". Do a google search to find pictures
and other bits of information. Best way is to rent a car and take three
days to cover the 300 or so km.

Richard
Old January 16th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Terry Russell

"Piper" wrote in message
Hi...from Melbourne to Adelaide,is it quite compulsory catching a plane
because of the distance (maybe with Virgin Blue) or is it possible going
there by bus? Maybe with a couple stopovers in interesting places (such

as??
I've already seen great ocean road,Port Fairy,Anglesea,Apollo Bay)....any
suggestions will be appreciate...also on Adelaide,what to see and what to
do...of course,tha main reason of my trip over there is Kangaroo Island!

Just a bunch of unremarkable rocks, seals, more seals, more rocks , whales,
some sand
;-)

The bus or train are boring but not too long.
If the object is to get to Adelaide the plane is fast and cheap.
That isn't to say you couldn't spend a week examining only a small
fraction of interesting things on the way, it depends on your interests.
( I could spend all day looking at railway bridges ,power and cement
plants )

http://www.southaustralia.com/home.asp

Depending on how you go to KI,
http://www.southaustralia.com/maps_r...ieu%20peninsul
opening
http://www.southaustralia.com/pdfs/F...0Peninsula.pdf

Coast to Second Valley , deep creek, Cape Jervis crossing to KI
coming back Victa(Victor Harbour) Goolwa

Now, Mt Compass is a nice looking place, but I have a morbid fear of it,.
It is like the Bermuda triangle of cars for me, nothing major just that
I try not to go there. Don't say you weren't warned ;-)

Old January 16th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Richard

Raffi Balmanoukian a
wrote in
news:BC2D8EC2.1F564%walkabout@TAKEOUTTHETRASHTOREP LY.ns.sympatico.ca:

in article , Richard at
wrote on 1/16/04 10:30 AM:

"Piper" wrote in
:

Hi...from Melbourne to Adelaide,is it quite compulsory catching a
plane because of the distance (maybe with Virgin Blue) or is it
possible going there by bus? Maybe with a couple stopovers in
interesting places (such as?? I've already seen great ocean
road,Port Fairy,Anglesea,Apollo Bay)....any suggestions will be
appreciate...also on Adelaide,what to see and what to do...of
course,tha main reason of my trip over there is Kangaroo Island!

Thanks
Veronica

The trip from Melbourne to Adelaide could be one of your highlights
as it covers the famed "Great Ocean Road". Do a google search to find
pictures and other bits of information. Best way is to rent a car and
take three days to cover the 300 or so km.

Richard

She says she's already done the G.O.R. - the "commuter" bus route (as
opposed to the scenic/tourist one) goes inland through some pretty
mundane country - I'd personally hop off and check out the Little
Desert (one of the two I haven't entered) but other than that....

So she does, well read. (Got my annual head cold, functioning at about
25%)

We're just as interested in visiting the Otways as the ocean, that's why
we're going to rent a car over to Adelaide. And some of the places along
the route are supposed to be worth the time...
Old January 16th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , Richard at
wrote on 1/16/04 6:52 PM:

So she does, well read. (Got my annual head cold, functioning at about
25%)

Watch out for Torontonians with "flu-like symptoms!"

Old January 17th, 2004, 12:08 AM
Richard

Raffi Balmanoukian a wrote
in news:BC2DEA45.1F595%walkabout@TAKEOUTTHETRASHTOREP LY.ns.sympatico.ca:

in article , Richard at
wrote on 1/16/04 6:52 PM:

So she does, well read. (Got my annual head cold, functioning at about
25%)

Watch out for Torontonians with "flu-like symptoms!"

He he, tres drole... and we're going thorough Honk Kong next month. Yikes!
Old January 17th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Mark Little

"Richard" wrote in message
We're just as interested in visiting the Otways as the ocean, that's why
we're going to rent a car over to Adelaide. And some of the places along
the route are supposed to be worth the time...

I recommend the "Otway Fly" if you would like a good tree-top walk.

http://www.otwayfly.com/home.htm

Mark

Old January 17th, 2004, 05:09 AM
Richard

"Mark Little" wrote in news:40089bfc$1
@duster.adelaide.on.net:

"Richard" wrote in message
We're just as interested in visiting the Otways as the ocean, that's why
we're going to rent a car over to Adelaide. And some of the places along
the route are supposed to be worth the time...

I recommend the "Otway Fly" if you would like a good tree-top walk.

http://www.otwayfly.com/home.htm

Mark

Great idea, Mark - if we're able to find the place, seems a little vague
"45 min. drive from Apollo Bay..." Thanks for the suggestion.

Richard