Dutch Money

Old January 26th, 2011, 05:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Default Dutch Money

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 23:26:55 +0000 (UTC), David Hatunen
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 22:57:51 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 19:53:02 +0000 (UTC), David Hatunen
wrote:

It seems to be a matter of having a US-issued card. I have no idea about
intra-European usage.

The machine charges you to use it irrespective of card,

As I mentioned before, I have never been charged by an ATM (actually, by
the institution, of course) in Europe for using a US-issued card; I
understand that this has been standard. I confess, though, to not having
used a European ATM for several years now. I also point out that I have
never used one of those ATMs not connected to a bank.

Exactly what point are you trying to make?

How silly their "free ATM use" is. If I'm standing outside the bank I
might as well go inside and skip some of the machine work.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane[_2_]

wrote:

It seems to be a matter of having a US-issued card. I have no idea about
intra-European usage.

The machine charges you to use it irrespective of card,

As I mentioned before, I have never been charged by an ATM (actually, by
the institution, of course) in Europe for using a US-issued card; I
understand that this has been standard. I confess, though, to not having
used a European ATM for several years now. I also point out that I have
never used one of those ATMs not connected to a bank.

Exactly what point are you trying to make?

How silly their "free ATM use" is. If I'm standing outside the bank I
might as well go inside and skip some of the machine work.

You are very fortunate. When I am standing outside a bank, I quite often find
it is closed.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old January 26th, 2011, 06:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane[_2_]

David Horne wrote on Jan 26, 2011:

Mike Lane wrote:

S Viemeister wrote on Jan 25, 2011:

On 1/24/2011 9:18 PM, Erilar wrote:
Ken wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 19:53:02 +0000 (UTC), David Hatunen
wrote:

American card issuers don't charge fees in euros. There are ATM card
issuers that don't charge a fee at all for foreign withdrawals but they
are becoming rare.

Can you mention which ATM issuers don't charge a fee for foreign
withdrawals?

My bank kindly tells me it's free at their ATMs, none of which are in
Europe of course 8-(

Some credit unions and smallish local banks offer free ATM withdrawals
at _any_ ATM.

I wish I knew of one in the UK.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ gives advice. Halifax Clarity card
seems the best choice... at the moment.

Yes but that's a credit card - I don't want credit. As we all know if one
makes a cash withdrawal, one is charged interest from that day until it's
payed off.

I would like an account which will allow me to withdraw my own cash without
charging me for the privilege. Nationwide used to do this but unfortunately
no more

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old January 26th, 2011, 08:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake[_2_]

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 10:32:53 -0500, S Viemeister
wrote:

On 1/26/2011 10:27 AM, Ken Blake wrote:

Because calling most companies these days means that I need to spend a
lot of time listening to recordings, then holding the line waiting for
a human. So I was hoping to get a quick answer. But if I can't, then I
*will* call them.

If you're in the New York metro area, Boiling Springs Savings Bank still
offers an ATM card, tied to a checking account, which makes no service
charge on _any_ withdrawals. The exchange rate is good, too.

Thanks, but no I'm not there.

--
Ken Blake
Old January 26th, 2011, 10:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Hatunen

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:32:43 +0000, Erilar wrote:

How silly their "free ATM use" is. If I'm standing outside the bank I
might as well go inside and skip some of the machine work.

That wouldn't have worked very well the night we had just left a show
about 22:30 in London's West End and found we needed some cash for a late
snack.

In any case, unless your ATM card is issued by that bank, you'll probably
be directed to the ATM, which is connected to the international ATM
clearinghouse system.

--
Dave Hatunen, Tucson, Arizona, out where the cacti grow
Old January 27th, 2011, 05:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Neal Plotkin[_2_]

In article ,
Ken Blake wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 06:09:28 +0000, (David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:

Ken Blake wrote:

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 23:27:49 +0000 (UTC), David Hatunen
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:36:06 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

Can you mention which ATM issuers don't charge a fee for foreign
withdrawals?

It's a fluid situation, but in the past Capital One has not made such
charges.

Thanks. Do I have to open a bank account with them, and deposit enough
money there, to get that?

Why not check with them, rather than ask on Usenet?

Because calling most companies these days means that I need to spend a
lot of time listening to recordings, then holding the line waiting for
a human. So I was hoping to get a quick answer. But if I can't, then I
*will* call them.

It's easier to check at the bank's web site.

TD Bank ATM cards don't charge a fee for other bank or foreign
withdrawals; I just used mine in Italy earlier this month.

On that trip I also used a Capitol One credit card, which does not
charge a foreign exchange fee; I opened that account specifically for
this trip directly from the bank's web site.

--
Neal Plotkin
my first name dot my last name at nyu dot edu
Old January 27th, 2011, 08:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

wrote:

American card issuers don't charge fees in euros. There are ATM card
issuers that don't charge a fee at all for foreign withdrawals but they
are becoming rare.

Can you mention which ATM issuers don't charge a fee for foreign
withdrawals?

My bank kindly tells me it's free at their ATMs, none of which are in
Europe of course 8-(

Some credit unions and smallish local banks offer free ATM withdrawals
at _any_ ATM.

I wish I knew of one in the UK.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ gives advice. Halifax Clarity card
seems the best choice... at the moment.

Yes but that's a credit card - I don't want credit.

So, don't get it then.

As we all know if one
makes a cash withdrawal, one is charged interest from that day until it's
payed off.

It is nevertheless the best deal, working out at 1% charge if you get
the lower interest rate. Any other method you use for withdrawing money
from foreign ATMs on a UK bank account or card will be more expensive.

I would like an account which will allow me to withdraw my own cash without
charging me for the privilege.

So would I. It doesn't seem to exist.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old January 27th, 2011, 10:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

:

wrote:

American card issuers don't charge fees in euros. There are ATM card
issuers that don't charge a fee at all for foreign withdrawals but they
are becoming rare.

Can you mention which ATM issuers don't charge a fee for foreign
withdrawals?

My bank kindly tells me it's free at their ATMs, none of which are in
Europe of course 8-(

Some credit unions and smallish local banks offer free ATM withdrawals
at _any_ ATM.

Mine does as well, anywhere in the Eurozone as long as the bill/cash is in
Euros.
--
Tim C.
I was in the butchers the other day and he said to me
Old January 27th, 2011, 12:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:03:10 +0100, Martin wrote in post :
:

Some credit unions and smallish local banks offer free ATM withdrawals
at _any_ ATM.

Mine does as well, anywhere in the Eurozone as long as the bill/cash is in
Euros.

Part of the Euro rules?

I don't think it can be, or there would be no discussions about Euro ATM
charges.

--
Tim C.
What's the definition of a mistress? Something between a mister and a
Old January 27th, 2011, 03:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Mike Lane wrote:

wrote:

It seems to be a matter of having a US-issued card. I have no idea about
intra-European usage.

The machine charges you to use it irrespective of card,

As I mentioned before, I have never been charged by an ATM (actually, by
the institution, of course) in Europe for using a US-issued card; I
understand that this has been standard. I confess, though, to not having
used a European ATM for several years now. I also point out that I have
never used one of those ATMs not connected to a bank.

Exactly what point are you trying to make?

How silly their "free ATM use" is. If I'm standing outside the bank I
might as well go inside and skip some of the machine work.

You are very fortunate. When I am standing outside a bank, I quite often find
it is closed.

Life style difference 8-). If I'm somewhere where that bank has an ATM and
need more cash than I have with me, it's at a time when the bank would be
open. Places where I need more cash aren't in the same country as this
bank and its ATMs.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad