Hong Kong to Guangzhou

Old July 28th, 2005, 12:56 AM
Richard DiDonna

Default Hong Kong to Guangzhou

Anybody know about the issues in transiting from Kai Tak to Guangzhou? What
checkpoints are there that one has to navigate when crossing from the SAR to
the Motherland.

Rich

Old July 28th, 2005, 03:00 AM
Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:56:12 GMT, the renowned "Richard DiDonna"
wrote:

Anybody know about the issues in transiting from Kai Tak to Guangzhou? What
checkpoints are there that one has to navigate when crossing from the SAR to
the Motherland.

Rich

There are a bunch of ways to get there. There is basically one border
going in that direction no matter how you go.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old July 28th, 2005, 03:21 AM
A Mate

You do know that Kai Tek is no longer the site of the HK International
airport - hasn't been since July, 1998!!

The airport is Chek Lap Kok on Lantau Island.

m...

Old July 28th, 2005, 02:13 PM
ITRADE

"A Mate" wrote in message
You do know that Kai Tek is no longer the site of the HK International
airport - hasn't been since July, 1998!!

The airport is Chek Lap Kok on Lantau Island.

OOps. You're right. My bad.

Rich

Old July 28th, 2005, 04:42 PM
PeterL

Richard DiDonna wrote:
Anybody know about the issues in transiting from Kai Tak to Guangzhou?

Kai Tak, now that bring back memories. Whatever happened to that
place? Did big developers build a whole bunch of apartment buildings
there?

What
checkpoints are there that one has to navigate when crossing from the SAR to
the Motherland.

You can go by boat, you can go by bus, you can go by train. Anyway you
go you pass the border check point one time.

But I doubt that you can go from Kai Tak any more.

Rich

Old July 28th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Spehro Pefhany

On 28 Jul 2005 08:42:40 -0700, the renowned "PeterL"
wrote:

You can go by boat, you can go by bus, you can go by train. Anyway you
go you pass the border check point one time.

Some ways you actually pass through two "borders", the second being
the one between the Shenzhen SEZ and the rest of the mainland, but
they don't really care much about people *leaving* Shenzhen. For
locals it can be important, or if you have a Shenzhen-only visa. The
airport for Shenzhen is actually outside the SEZ, so you have to pass
through a checkpoint along the superhighway. They were waving most
folks in private cars through last time I went by privat car (we
didn't have to stop). I think they boarded the bus and eyeballed
everyone when I took last an airport bus (note: the free-for-all at
the termination of the bus trip is horrific, dozens of people trying
to stuff cards into your pockets and that sort of thing, as you're
trying to get a cab).

But I doubt that you can go from Kai Tak any more.

The ambitious redevelopment plans for the old airport site seem to
have been held up for years by environmental concerns.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old July 30th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Rick Graham

In a previous post, I asked about transportation availability from HKIA to
Guangzhou on a Saturday evening. I am told the bus runs until 2200 from
HKIA, but it seems to conflict with information I found on the HKIA website.
It doesn't appear there is any transport (except private car) that runs to
Guangzhou late on a weekend evening. Thus, I switched from Cathay to JAL,
which flies from Osaka or Tokyo into Guangzhou. Flying out of Guangzhou to
other parts of China appears to be quite a bit less than from HKIA. I am
still curious about late evening transport from HKIA to Guangzhou on
weekends.

rg

wrote:

[...]

Info for manufacturers:
http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:
http://www.speff.com