Sicily

Old June 19th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Małgorzata Sławińska

Default Sicily

Hello, I am going to travel in Sicily by car and caravan.Tell me about your
expierience in Sicily ,especialy -campings etc.
Margaret from Poland

Old June 19th, 2004, 05:42 PM
sbp

I currently live in Sicily but I can't add much on camping. I do know that
I do see campers driving the roads. I'm sure I've seen many camping sites
but I only recall two specifically...one in Acireale and one by the beach
just north of Taormina.

But other than camping, Sicily is great. If you know every inch of your
vehicle you'll be fine with the narrow roads. And believe me, they are
everywhere and narrow is an understatement. Unfortunately, originally from
the US, I am used to too much space on the roads so I was never "aware" of
the size of my car, if that makes sense.

If you have specific questions, that would make it easier to assist. My
personal favorite places in Sicily a

Agrigento - valley of the temples situated along the southern coast. A row
of ancient ruins.
Taormina - probably the most resort area on the island, located in the north
east. Quaint little walking street with many shops, bars and restaurants.
Also has an incredible Greek theatre.
Erice - quaint town located on a hill in western Sicily. Awesome views,
nice castle.
Avola - the "grand canyon" in Avola is breathtaking. A long descent into
the bottom will take you to a lake incredible for swimming...but it's a
long hike back up to the top. Of all the Sicily books I've read before
moving hear, I read nothing of this much to my surprise.
Ortigia - small semi-island barely attached to Siracusa.

Hope you have fun!
Brian

Old July 5th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Dan Stephenson

In article , sbp
wrote:

But other than camping, Sicily is great. If you know every inch of your
vehicle you'll be fine with the narrow roads. And believe me, they are
everywhere and narrow is an understatement. Unfortunately, originally from
the US, I am used to too much space on the roads so I was never "aware" of
the size of my car, if that makes sense.

I wish to visit Sicily some day, by car. I have driven in rual
England, Wales and Scotland, on those single-lane roads bound by
overhanging hedges and/or stone walls. I am used to those. Am I ready
for Sicily?

Thanks in advance,

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:

Old July 5th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Ken Blake

In ,
Dan Stephenson typed:

In article , sbp
wrote:

But other than camping, Sicily is great. If you know every

inch of
your vehicle you'll be fine with the narrow roads. And

believe me,
they are everywhere and narrow is an understatement.

Unfortunately,
originally from the US, I am used to too much space on the

roads so
I was never "aware" of the size of my car, if that makes

sense.

I wish to visit Sicily some day, by car. I have driven in rual
England, Wales and Scotland, on those single-lane roads bound

by
overhanging hedges and/or stone walls. I am used to those. Am

ready for Sicily?

I've driven several times around much of Sicily, always in rented
cars, so I certainly didn't "know every inch of [my] vehicle." I
never had a problem with the roads, except in some towns.

There are some towns (Erice, for example) where the roads are
very old, and therefore extremely narrow. The first time I drove
there I came to a T where I had to make a left turn into a
one-way street. It took me the better part of 15 minutes, backing
up, pulling forward, backing up, pulling forward (with my wife
and son outside directing me) before I finally made the turn.
Another car on my right waited patiently for me to finish the
turn; he had obviously seen this before. The walls alongside that
turn (and everywhere else in the town) are covered with scrape
marks when someone didn't quite make it. And if you come to a car
parked by the side, squeezing past it can be very difficult.

But outside of such old towns, I never had a problem with the
roads. And such towns are small enough that you can just park at
their edge and walk everywhere. Although driving through them is
difficult, it normally isn't necessary.

More of a problem than the roads is the traffic problem in the
cities.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old July 5th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Ken Blake

In ,
Dan Stephenson typed:

Old July 5th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Mister Max

"Ken Blake" posted:

There are some towns (Erice, for example) where the roads are
very old, and therefore extremely narrow.

But outside of such old towns, I never had a problem with the
roads. And such towns are small enough that you can just park at
their edge and walk everywhere. Although driving through them is
difficult, it normally isn't necessary.

More of a problem than the roads is the traffic problem in the
cities.

I am an American. At home I drive a biggish car; I'm aware of its size.
In Sicily I drove an average sized (for Sicily) or small (for the US)
Tempo. In Sicily there are many fine Autostrade on which you can get
around very quickly. OTOH, there are little towns like Erice with
impossibly narrow roads - our hotel took our car and parked it just
outside of town. In Taormina we had to circle the town twice to find our
hotel. In Siracusa there was a "manifestatione" that caused a traffic
jam coming in. And in Palermo, the road system is chaotic and parking is
impossible. In other towns driving wasn't a problem, and between towns
it was a pleasure.

There are photos of Erice, a highway, and several other towns on my web
site - URL below.

- Max

--
MisterMax
Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, France, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco,

Old July 6th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Ken Blake

In . 97.136,
Mister Max typed:

"Ken Blake" posted:

[...]

And that can be hard to do because of the one-way streets.

In Siracusa there was a "manifestatione" that caused
a traffic jam coming in. And in Palermo, the road system is

chaotic
and parking is impossible.

Parking is impossible in well-nigh every large city in Italy.
There's nothing special about Sicily in that regard.

In other towns driving wasn't a problem,
and between towns it was a pleasure.

My point exactly.

Old July 6th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Ken Blake