Heartwarming Elephant Story

Old October 6th, 2007, 02:48 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.knives,rec.scuba,rec.travel.asia,rec.food.cooking
[email protected]

Default Heartwarming Elephant Story

'heartwarming' story

Sometimes these 'heartwarming' stories are a bit too sappy for
me but this one is truly amazing...

In 1986, Mikele Mebembe was on holiday in Kenya after graduating
from Northwestern University. On a hike through the bush, he
came across a young bull elephant standing with one leg raised
in the air. The elephant seemed distressed, so Mikele approached
it very carefully.

He got down on one knee and inspected the elephant's foot and
found a large piece of wood deeply embedded in it. As carefully
and as gently as he could, Mikele worked the wood out with his
hunting knife, after which the elephant gingerly put down its
foot. The elephant turned to face the man, and with a rather
curious look on its face, stared at him for several tense
moments. Mikele stood frozen, thinking of nothing else but being
trampled. Eventually the elephant trumpeted loudly, turned, and
walked away. Mikele never forgot that elephant or the events of
that day.

Twenty years later, Mikele was walking through the Brookfield Zoo
in Chicago with his teenaged son. As they approached the elephant
enclosure, one of the creatures turned and walked over to near
where Mikele and his son Tapu were standing. The large bull
elephant stared at Mikele, lifted its front foot off the ground,
then put it down. The elephant did that several times then
trumpeted loudly, all the while staring at the man.

Remembering the encounter in 1986, Mikele couldn't help wondering
if this was the same elephant. Mikele summoned up his courage,
climbed over the railing and made his way into the enclosure. He
walked right up to the elephant and stared back in wonder. The
elephant trumpeted again, wrapped its trunk around one of Mikele's
legs and slammed him against the railing, killing him instantly.
Probably wasn't the same elephant.

Old October 6th, 2007, 02:13 PM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.knives,rec.scuba,rec.travel.asia,rec.food.cooking
Fools

It's amazing that you actually believe what you read:
http://www.snopes.com/critters/malice/elephant.asp

ups.com...

Old October 6th, 2007, 04:07 PM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.knives,rec.scuba,rec.travel.asia,rec.food.cooking
Takin & Kanoknuan

"Steve Kombat Kramer" wrote in message
On Oct 6, 8:13 pm, "Fools" wrote:

It's amazing that you actually believe what you read

wrote in message

[SNIP]

If you knew him, you'd understand....

**That's 'funny' coming from you Steve, the buffoon who 'knows where the
elephants lie down....' )

--
"I've offered to pick them up at the airport many times. I've posted my
name, address AND phone number before. I'll make the same offer to you. Just

But remember this. I don't do school yard brawling. If you want to fight me,
please understand I will assume that you are attacking my life. I will NOT
be trying to 'shut your mouth.' I will be trying to kill you." - Volunteer
Tourist Police Konstable Steve 'Kombat' Kramer

Steve 'Kombat' Kramer
"PhotoEnvisions" Photography
Chiang Mai, Thailand
http://photoenvisions.tripod.com

Old October 6th, 2007, 07:02 PM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.knives,rec.scuba,rec.travel.asia,rec.food.cooking
LarbGai

On Oct 7, 4:07 am, "Takin & Kanoknuan" takin&kanokn...@stuck-in-a-
wheelchair.org wrote:
"Steve Kombat Kramer" wrote in message
If you knew him, you'd understand....

**That's 'funny' coming from you Steve, the buffoon who 'knows where the
elephants lie down....' )

*****Or his "Beyond there there be dragons" dream.........

As buffoons go Steve is at the top of the tree.

*grin*

Old October 9th, 2007, 10:52 PM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.knives,rec.scuba,rec.travel.asia,rec.food.cooking
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 13:13:30 GMT, "Fools" wrote:

In 1986, Mikele Mebembe was on holiday in Kenya after graduating
from Northwestern University.

"Mkele Mbembe" (DAFGS) in central Africa is like a joke that begins, "A
Scotsman named Nessie was walking along the shores of Loch Ness"

Elephant culling. Corné Africa 3 December 11th, 2005 02:00 PM
Elephant Camp in Myanmar Asia 0 March 19th, 2004 03:24 AM
Old Elephant Trail Expedition rinpoche Asia 0 January 8th, 2004 02:57 PM
Elephant Adventure at Myainghaywun Asia 0 November 14th, 2003 04:37 AM
Elephant Tour in Myanmar Asia 0 November 12th, 2003 04:02 AM