American Express Foreign Exchange at Heathrow Airport

Old September 11th, 2003, 05:17 PM
Andy Lee

Default American Express Foreign Exchange at Heathrow Airport

Anybody knows if it's commission free?
Old September 11th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Miguel Cruz

Andy Lee wrote:
Anybody knows if it's commission free?

It's a crappy rate. Don't be fooled by presence or absence of commissions -
you need to consider the entire bottom line.

Use your ATM card (not credit card) unless you have a compelling reason not
to.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.

Old September 12th, 2003, 06:14 PM
Hatunen

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:05:32 -0700,
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Andy Lee wrote:

Thanks, I'll bring my ATM as well, but there's a limit. In addition,
I have $500 cash now

Can't you get the limit changed, if you explain to your bank that you
are going abroad? Anyway, you can use a credit card for most purchases,
the itinerary you posted elsewhere - use the ATM only for incidental
cash.

right. the daily limit on an ATM card is partly for your own
protection. If someone steals the card and your password they can
only drain so much per day from your account.

But the $300 per day limit should be quite adequate. If you're
going to be spending more cash than $300/day you're not in my
league, anyway.

Just be careful about what makes a "day" for ATM pruposes. years
ago I tried to use a hole in the wall in Haymarket Street,
London, after a show and the machine kept rejecting my request. A
line was gathering and I was becoiming embarrased when I
remembered I'd gotten some money nearly 24 hours ago, so I
lowered my requested amount and out it came.

Old September 15th, 2003, 03:01 PM
ramraideruk

Andy Lee wrote:

[...]

Remember the ATM limit is just that. You can still withdraw extra money from
inside the banks. Just hand your card over along with ID(passport is
probably best!)

Old September 15th, 2003, 09:30 PM
Hatunen

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:01:20 +0100, "ramraideruk"
wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message
.. .

But the $300 per day limit should be quite adequate. If you're
going to be spending more cash than $300/day you're not in my
league, anyway.

Just be careful about what makes a "day" for ATM pruposes. years
ago I tried to use a hole in the wall in Haymarket Street,
London, after a show and the machine kept rejecting my request. A
line was gathering and I was becoiming embarrased when I
remembered I'd gotten some money nearly 24 hours ago, so I
lowered my requested amount and out it came.

Remember the ATM limit is just that. You can still withdraw extra money from
inside the banks. Just hand your card over along with ID(passport is
probably best!)

ARe you sure that works with an ATM card, rather than one of
those 'debit cards" with a Visa or Mastercard logo? They are a
different animal.